I've been away for a while and could use some updates.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So I haven't been around for months, due to a lack of a home internet connection.
So I'd like to know what sort of things I missed...

3DS
1 - Did Gateway ever update the firmware compability?
2 - Am I correct in seeing that it's still just one ROM per?
3 - Does the gateway support recent 3DS games or only the older ones? What's the cutoff?
4 - Have any other working carts come out that are better or at least the same and cheaper?
5 - I read mention of homebrew, yay? What's the basic gist of that?

DS
1 - Have any of the DS flash carts dropped another model version in terms of firmware compatibility?
2 - I see that TempGBA updated, any other major emulator updates of note?

Vita
1 - What's the current situation on the Vita's firmware hackability? I've been getting e-mails from Wololo's forums every so often with release info but haven't done any actual reading.
2 - Can the hacks do more things now or is it still PSP-style homebrew?

PSP
1 - Has anything interesting happened or is the PSP frozen in time still?

Wii
1 - I see that the compatibility of Nintendont is still growing pretty slowly. Has anything else relating to GC loading improved?
2 - Anything major to take note of or is it still dying slowly?

And of course if anything amazing happened with other systems (as far as ROM/ISo running and hacking) I'd like to know too!

Reactions: Satangel

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Regarding Gateway, basically they put bricking code in their firmware 2.0b2 that will brick your 3DS if you modify the launcher.dat in any way. Their reasoning for this is to prevent clone makers from ripping them off. There have also been reports of bricked 3DSes with untouched launcher.dats. Gateway is often referred as brickway. There is a thread for this somewhere here.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So I haven't been around for months, due to a lack of a home internet connection.
So I'd like to know what sort of things I missed...

3DS
1 - Did Gateway ever update the firmware compability?
Nope
2 - Am I correct in seeing that it's still just one ROM per?
Beta firmware adds multirom support, at least in the videos (correct me if I'm wrong). Beta firmwares can cause bricking though (Devin had his 3DS bricked).
3 - Does the gateway support recent 3DS games or only the older ones? What's the cutoff?
Gateway and other 3DS flashcarts support most games except a few with a NAND save type. In other words, Pokemon X/Y and Animal Crossing.
4 - Have any other working carts come out that are better or at least the same and cheaper?
A ton, see Ryu's post on the matter
5 - I read mention of homebrew, yay? What's the basic gist of that?
Unreleased, but has the same requirements as all others, i.e. 4.5 or lower firmware.

DS
1 - Have any of the DS flash carts dropped another model version in terms of firmware compatibility?
Probably. Most add new carts for new firmwares. DSTwo is still going strong.
2 - I see that TempGBA updated, any other major emulator updates of note?
Not that I know, but I could be wrong.

Vita
1 - What's the current situation on the Vita's firmware hackability? I've been getting e-mails from Wololo's forums every so often with release info but haven't done any actual reading.
Dualboot firmware has been done with proof-of-concept, but nothing released yet. PSP side hacked with game exploits, but nothing on the PSVita front.
PSP related mostly. Still you're better off using a PSP to run the PSP homebrew, since the PSPs are dirt cheap and hacking a PSVita means losing PSN.

PSP
PSVita compatibility.

And of course if anything amazing happened with other systems (as far as ROM/ISo running and hacking) I'd like to know too!

Added comments. Can't say much about the Wii section, since I haven't really had a chance to dig into it due to time constraints.

The main point now in regards to your questions is keeping a 3DS/3DS XL at 4.5 or lower. Some say it could be the PS3 3.55 for the 3DS.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Vita

PSP

Vita
1 - There have been quite a few exploit games released for the newest firmware, IIRC there's been 3 or 4 now for version 3.01 (which, at the moment, is the latest).
2 - The hacks are still PSP-Mode only, however the exploit on 3.01 has access to 64MB of RAM instead of 32MB, unlike the previous exploits (sans 1 or 2). I'm not sure if this was also available beforehand, but PSP ISOs are now playable, and PSX2PSP games are also playable however they don't have any audio.
3 - An extra here, there have been a couple interesting things hardware wise. Yifan-Lu has dumped the NAND of the Vita, and has been dicking around with the hardware for it. Katsu has developed a dual-firmware boot prototype, and it may be possible to downgrade the Vita similar to how Gateway has emuNAND. Katsu also developed an HDMI output mod, and has dumped Vita Cartridges as well.
4 - It should also be noted that the Vita Slim has finally been announced for EU and US, and will be sold this spring bundled with Borderlands 2 (there should be a thread on this in the Vita section somewhere, it's quite recent)

PSP
1 - Nothing new on the PSP front

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu