8 baller, Death Wizard,
OP
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
an attempted larger arm9, 3 + of the graphic files done, a large amount of tedius moving graphic data charting in an effort to get my head around knce and knch. (I haven't yet)... Mostly trying to figure out which actual spot I saved what work I had done ... you know that I could swear I already finished this graphic why cannot I seem to find that anywhere... thing but with other stuff as well I hope this stuff wasn't on the one otg thumb drive as that was erased by a well meaning 7 year old trying to make space on his tablet by transferring photos... which for me some work I can easily redo or the loss of non replaceable very precious photos taken by a 7 year old with an amazing artistic sense for photography... it his photos for sure every time...
questions feel free to post here.
So the plan is to translate everything text wise - drop it in the arm 9 test and if I need to redo graphic files than I redo graphic files. While doing this I will slowly plod my way through the graphic work that needs to be done.

Mind you this isn't the only game I work on nor the only profile I have on gbatemp or other sites. If these projects seem to not be getting attention... well thats life. I had three different people want help with okeari chibi robo before I gave up on it. I currently have nothing to do with the current project on here and frankly good riddance.
This game I took on due to a child I was looking after loving the game despite not knowing a bit of japanese. They completed it without cheats and not knowing any japanese. I didn't know what I was getting myself into.
this game oy... I can finish most of the graphics but not all. Certain menus will be left looking weird and or bad if I do not figure out the knce or knch files. It will have Me n u (or something like it) where the space between e and the n gets bigger which it has to be this way or the rest of the menu will look even worse. My choice is either to do away with these files completely or do a very awful looking edit where you might be able to get what its supposed to be. According to the now 12 year old who I started this for he understands it but thinks I can do better... sigh...
He doesn't understand the work I will need to put in to this and that is the only reason I haven't abandoned this project. Extra work... I may not be able to finish this game in my life time and I am having a tough time deciding where to spend my energy.

C'est la vie...

one big to do this week/month redo my blog.

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
OP
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
just the knce knch files... this close to taking a few days to just corrupt and see what happens... using the title screen to see what happens...... then I had a thought that maybe I should be looking at the file in memory first to see if the pointers get updated there first... or if there is some form of transform going on. Even then I got sidetracked with shiren 4... A major effort was put forth by an anonymous translator who just dropped a crap load of stuff on me... so I took some time to do the font thing that was plaguing me there.
Auryn If you want to take a look you don't need to ask... any knce knch but I warn you there seems to be different formats in game. some knce, knch have graphics some don't.
Other_scene/title/v128_title_obj_00.knce
Other_scene/title/v128_title_obj_00.knch the graphics for the title screen are here and it is one of the first seen in game that can be tracked
Other_scene/title/v128_title_obj_01.knce
Other_scene/title/v128_title_obj_01.knch the moving background graphics for the title screen are here
I seem to have forgotted how to upload/paste spreadsheets... sigh...

upload_2016-11-23_22-18-2.png

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
@rastsan hope you continue this project i just found out about the WII version of the game, the game told me that this game existed since 1991, and was pretty sad about being a japan only game..

i am a fan o the classic monopoly game however never had interest in the video games released by them.. i got really interested in this new style of game game with our friendly known characters like mario and dragon quest characters...

LadyLyndis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
backloggery.com
XP
Country
United States
The text in Google Docs is finally done.

I've been subscribed to this topic but somehow didn't get notifications that there were new posts in the last few months. Anyhow, my work on this has been sporadic at best but I've finally filled in the remaining blanks in the Excel sheet, and corrected stuff that was clearly wrong (or that was Google-translated?). Rastsan, I don't know if you were referring to this project when you mentioned the "anonymous translator" but that might have been me.

A lot of the text near the top seems to be system-type messages, possibly only seen by devs, and that stuff held me up for a long time.

I did the best I could to be faithful to names of characters, locations, etc that already had official English equivalents. I also tried to match the style of the Wii game. It's definitely possible that some of the text may be too long for the amount of space there is on the screen, but there's really no way to know for sure until it's inserted in the game, I assume?

In the case of the names of items you can buy in the shop, sometimes I couldn't find an officially-localized English name so I just translated those normally. Some of the random stuff such as hair styles and real world-type clothes I wanted to give actual descriptive names based on what they look like in-game, and not just weird Engrish like "Side Long Hair." But of course, feel free to change it (or ask me to) if you think it should be more literal.

I'm pretty sure there's more text in the game than what's in the spreadsheet (venture card descriptions and whatnot) but hopefully having this much done is helpful, at least. Please let me know if there's any more text I can help with!

Last edited by LadyLyndis,

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
OP
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
Thankyou for your help.
I went with the wii version with some of that. I haven't updated that google docs page for a while and this is next on my list to tackle after dungeon of windaria. I may have to release it with certain graphics not touched or looking very very bad. I mentioned the moving menu screens I still have no idea how to fix that.
but then alot of it has short formed stuff in the graphics as there just was no way...
the venture card descriptions should be in that spreadsheet just not organized right. Well that may depend on which one you were editing. I will check it later I have screenshots of them all anyways so its not a big deal and even then they are posted online somewhere(already translated). It makes me smile as I think the programmers were planning on a translation or making changes but were too lazy to just leave the text in the images... for the venture cards.
let me worry about finding space I have some things I need to try on other games that may open work on this game up quite a bit.
technical stuff - the overlay files have text I may not have dumped the text appropriately as I was dumping from memory dumps. Yes I played through this game a good 2 dozen times and have a folder (400+ dumps) dedicated to memory dumps. Those memory dumps may eventually prove useful. But I need to dump the text in the overlays a different way directly with the pointers in said overlays. Not with the hodgepodge way I have done it.
The one spreadsheet was reorganized by someone who just couldn't stand the way it was done. I didn't care as it got it translated faster.
Which is why I say it depends on which spreadsheet you are using.
63+ files that need graphic edits that may or may not be possible. That was a quick count It may be more or less... wait 207+files that need editing. that may already be edited... work on this was sporadic for me as well it took my mind off of things.
trying to identify what the text in the image meant without certain contextual numbers or letters was fun. Making a translation fit into an already small spot even more fun. My instincts are saying redo the entire thing from the beginning and just see what you can do.
that being said I have worked out the very easy format used to pack the 3d components (bmd0 bca0 stuff)
if anyone ever wants to hack characters in it is going to take some work reversing the bca0 files.

took a look at the graphic work - yeah limited space. Looking good is not going to happen. SO getting it done and maybe improve it later attitude (I personally don't like doing it this way).

Reactions: cyb0rg

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
OP
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
Oh I guess I should update. I was testing overlay 3 for inserting larger text. I am missing something important.... I was redumping the text to eliminate doubled text. Just in case I need the extra space.
Being the person I am, I am doing it proper dumping the pointers and using kruptar and spreadsheets ... blah blah blah.... as i seemed to have lost the file that had it the first time I did it or just did a quick dump to have the text. which of course led me to dumping all of the pointers in the files. which there are plenty of. mostly useless but I am getting the feeling after doing it that I will actually need all of them. which takes time. I am trying to keep things unmoved within file and trying to keep it smoothe on screen. which is a bit of a challenge. remember its just me inserting right now - I also have life. outside of this.

6/27/2017 update
I know I should have been on the overlay files... but I have been on the knce knch stuff instead... had to...
sigh... so I have been playing with the very first knch knce files I can get access to in game. the basic change a value play and see what happens thing. charted out for 4 of the files what is what. THought I would take it a step further and just do file replace take other knce and knch and just replace the title screen stuff. which led to an interesting discovery today. I thought the knce files were map files. but... I say this with a bit of a smile... I replaces the one with the moving menu graphics as having that on the title screen ready for corruption is way more than neccessary if I am going to change those menus to english. except there they were flying off like balloons. yes the title screen has balloons... its two graphics repeated. one with three palletes and many positions, the other with one pallete and two positions...
so seeing these menu options float away I did the next logical thing and made sure to replace the other knce file and the other knch file. with once again menu stuff floating away. this may just be me tired and blurry from doing this on 3 hours sleep in the last 4 days... but... if anyone else would like to confirm please grab a knch knce from the other/tour folder and replace the other/title knce knch... using no$gba debug... the thing is I thought I was tracking and getting down oam data for other files... I have a spread sheet going and I am pretty sure I can count on tile size and certain other things but map data... not so much... which I would have that data anyways just looking at the file in ct2... so... feeling weird after wasting so much time on this and not noticing a very important thing like this is not the map file for that... sigh... to those who do not know the in game menu has animated letters. chart the animation and figure out which graphic to replace and find the animation data change it to match the english. except... funny seeing balloon menus... not so much the realizaton that I need to track where the fudge those animation actually are...

... WHAT THIS MEANS... the horrid thought that I may have to translate everything graphically in the space provided. with an immense amount of save data. at x menu or text parts. sure I have x save data but that was just game play tracking. not menu or text tracking and not labeled as such.... so
with knce files that DO NOT have section data... section pointers, pallete related to section in order, then section - x,y,tilesize, more later...

Last edited by rastsan,

TheRaven81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any sort of status update on the progress of this translation project?
EDIT: I obtained a copy of the JP ROM, and I have been using my phone and the Google Translate app to translate it on the fly with the camera. Even though it's not the best way, it's working out for now.

I also found a list of the Chance Cards translated, in the article on the Super Mario Wiki:
https://www.mariowiki.com/Itadaki_Street_DS#Chance_Card_list_.28translation.29
I don't know if it will be of any help.

Also, as I am playing it, it makes me wonder how well an English translation would work out. Because it's using a lot of Kanji, which can be whole words or even several, made to fit in a single character space so that long words can fit in a small area. I don't know how their translation can be placed where their Japanese counterparts were, if the area is too small for that many characters to fit.

Last edited by TheRaven81,

pBullet

SHSL Idol
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really wouldn't mind just a menu translation myself. Been playing this before the Wii version even came out (it was my first). My first import too, quite a long time ago now.

Been waiting for someone to post a text translation for the main menu since the gameboard itself is pretty easy to navigate and venture cards are easy to follow too since they are similar in most of the iterations.

thinspoxoxo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey OP. Do you still need help. I don't know anything about translating stuff but I'll try. I'll see if I can learn how to do it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is this still being worked on? wanted to help on this. if it's not, i wanted to do a simple menu translation with what i know by playing the game in japanense and the wii version. where the text is and how can i open it? i assume they're in the itms files inside the msg folder but i couldn't find how to open it.

MPS64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really hope you guys will be able to finish this! I genuinely want this game to be finally translated, that would be amazing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1