ROM Hack Issues when trying to rip sounds

Oberst_Kroenen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Hi everyone, I'm trying to rip sounds from a DS game - Katekyoo Hitman Reborn DS Flame Rumble XX - Kessen Real 6 Chouka however when i open the rom with a program like Tinke or vgmtrans and i open the sdat file, not all of the STRM files that should contain all the voices of the characters appear. There should be about 3000 files but most of them appear to be "hidden" and I see only about 115 - for an example STRM_004 and the next file is STRM_114 and 110 file between these two do not appear. As i said I have tried different programs and I always get the same results. I have tried opening the prequel game of the series - Katekyo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble X - Mirai Cho Bakuhatsu!! and it had no such issue. All of its STRM files can be seen. One thing I noticed is that the XX game has a weird .bin file in the Sound folder white the prequel X game does not have such file and though it may be related but my tries to open that bin file were unsuccessful. Does someone know why these STRM files can't be located and is there a way to extract them?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not all voices are in STRM files in games -- you can do shorter bursts (more than adequate for catchphrases and the like, not sure what the limit would be offhand but I imagine 20 seconds could be done) and stash then in SWAR files. I recall one of the Castlevania games having several thousand in its SWAR. Indeed I would usually have expected music to be in STRM files and for most voice work to be in SWAR if it is still using the SDAT audio format.

Going further it could also be something other than SDAT -- I have seen a few games, not sure about Marvelous ones though, have SDAT for basic audio/music and then flank it with something else for more involved stuff (commonly ADX/AHX but certainly not limited to it).

An extra bin file in the sound directory is odd, I would have to look at it to see what it is. What size is it and do you have a picture of the first few lines from a hex editor?

Oberst_Kroenen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I have checked the SWAR as well and while it does contain voices for all the charactes, these voices are only for taking damage and basic attacks. The voices for the special attask, intro, win ect. are in the STRM folder but for some reason they are hidden. Here is a screenshot of what I see:
picbg.net/u/3007/11232/874314.png

Also I am not sure what you mean by a hex editor. I think i did try to open the game with such a program but as I could not understand anything i deleted it. I will try to find it again and post a screenshot.
EDIT- Do you mean something like that:
picbg.net/u/3007/11232/874315.png

Last edited by Oberst_Kroenen,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah that is a hex editor, however what you showed in there looks like the start of the ROM and not the file in question.
If you have the DS file window open (the DS icon on the right at the top), find the file in that and double click it then it will set the hex window (or graphics window if you have that selected) at the start of that file.

Alternatively

That said it says ogg in the name. Ogg vorbis is a popular and free/open source audio format that a lot of game devs use (you can't just make and sell an MP3 file in a lot of places if you did not first purchase a license to do so, with ogg being free and clear then yeah), and it has been seen in some DS games before ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-various-audio-formats-of-the-ds.305167/ ). Any number of players will support it
It is eminently suitable for the voice tracks.

It might not be a straight ogg file and instead some kind of archive but I would definitely look there next.

Oberst_Kroenen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I have tried that:
picbg.net/u/3007/11232/874316.png
picbg.net/u/3007/11232/874317.png

Again the STRM files are missing.
I will look into this ogg file and hope i can extract or access it somehow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa...