Hardware Is this okay for gaming today?

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a old Dell 530 sitting here and I want to know if it can handle any kinds of games (mostly fallout / new vegas and skyrim) it has no hdd to it. but the spec of it are below I am looking on maybe overclocking but not sure if it's worth doing or not? Please let me know if are any parts that can be upgraded I am very worried about the PSU for the GPU, should be ok with it running at 720p resolution?

Dell Inspiron 530
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
6GB RAM (DDR2)
HIS Radeon HD 4670 IceQ 1GB 128-Bit DDR3
Raidmax RX - 500AF PSU 500 Watt
DVDRW
5 port USB PCI card 4 External 1 Internal (12 USB ports all together)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
R9 390 or GTX 970 can both be picked up for around the $300 mark on newegg.

GTX 970 uses around 170-180W under load, depending on which version you end up finding. Assuming the rest of your system uses around 250W (I.e. Assuming you're not overclocking) then you should be around the 420-450W range, which should be safe enough on a cheap PSU brand, although I agree with @Joe88 that you don't want to push it anywhere near the claimed rating of 500W. Cheap PSUs rarely hit their claimed rating before exploding (more smoke than fire) and brandless PSUs are fire hazards waiting to happen.

You might be safer getting a graphics card one step lower like the R9 380 or GTX 960 and using the $70-100 saved from the budget to getting a PSU from a decent brand like Seasonic. You won't need more than 500-600W, but decent brands can usually go 100% safely and even sometimes 120% safely (but not recommended), and tend to have much higher energy efficiency (gold rated or higher).

Reactions: Mythical

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unless there is a future cpu/mb upgraded planned, I'd go with a 960/380. Q6600 will hold back both the 970/390. No point spending that money, just to be held back by the cpu.

Probably take the 960 over the 380 as well due to lower overhead on Nvidia drivers, squeeze out as much performance from the cpu as you can.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
If i were you, I'd get one of those Haswell pentiums with a reasonable motherboard and a so-so graphics card. [Short term solution] (maybe you could sell some old stuff)
Long term solution, invest in a good, robust gpu first, then the others.

But since you wanna play at 720p, you might as well go with the short term solution i just mentioned. A GTX 950 card would be more than enough i think.
eg. Intel Pentium G3258
ASRock B85M-ITX
MSI GTX 950 2GB GDDR5
Total: $284 (prices taken from newegg)
Use the difference for some DDR3 ram

Last edited by raystriker,

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys. I am a bit confused on the gpu, is it too much for the psu to handle? I already was playing around with some games last night and I didn't have any issues at all just minor pauses at random. I am going to probably put in a SSD in there I already have a gt 740 which looks compatible with my setup, would getting a beefer psu help much where it is right now?

BTW this thing is a beast I got to say first quad from intel is pretty sweet playing games on.

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bump, well according to wikipedia I cannot upgrade the gpu any higher than the 4670, unless they are wrong about that. I also meant this for older gaming not newer stuff I'll say pre 2012 games. Might want to switch out the gpu soon not sure but what would be the nvidia gpu equivalent to the hd radeon 4670 would it be worth it?

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing is ever good enough.
Within a few months, even with the latest stuff, there will be an even faster GPU released and a hundred games that take full advantage, to the point that the game slows to a crawl on your "primitive" PC, even on the lowest settings.
This is why I'm a console gamer.

Although, you did say that it's just for pre-'12 games, so...can it run Crysis?
EDIT: How did I not notice the date?

Last edited by UltraSUPRA,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Eo3Bh06drc