Hacking Is there any way to update to 4.2 w/o having to redo any exploits?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I find 4.3 the easiest to softmod. It doesn't require you to play a game before copying a save from an sd card
Actually that's not true. Didn't we discuss this already, or was that somebody else?

i don't see how letterbomb fails to fit his description. While you need your mac address, and you do need to copy files onto the SD card like with any exploit, no game is required.

clarification for the unwashed, please?
Read it again. He's saying that you don't have to run a game before you can copy a save file over, which isn't true.

Besides, Letterbomb is harder to use than Bannerbomb anyway.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, he's saying that you don't have to play a game, and then copy a file over for the exploit in 4.3. very slight semantic difference.

"I find 4.3 the easiest to softmod. It (it being the letterbomb exploit for 4.3) doesn't require you to play a game before copying a save from an sd card"

had he only said that you don't have to play a game first, you'd be right. but he was talking about letterbomb. it (letterbomb) doesn't require a specific game to work.

and i agree that letterbomb is harder to use than bannerbomb. but not by much, and it's still a no-game exploit, which really just leaves it up to the individual to decide what system menu they want. sure, you gain nothing from 4.2 and 4.3, but they might still want to have it for whatever reason, and aside from the one extra hurdle of looking up your wii's mac address, it's a very straightforward exploit.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
no, he's saying that you don't have to play a game, and then copy a file over for the exploit in 4.3. very slight semantic difference.

"I find 4.3 the easiest to softmod. It (it being the letterbomb exploit for 4.3) doesn't require you to play a game before copying a save from an sd card"

had he only said that you don't have to play a game first, you'd be right. but he was talking about letterbomb. it (letterbomb) doesn't require a specific game to work.

and i agree that letterbomb is harder to use than bannerbomb. but not by much, and it's still a no-game exploit, which really just leaves it up to the individual to decide what system menu they want. sure, you gain nothing from 4.2 and 4.3, but they might still want to have it for whatever reason, and aside from the one extra hurdle of looking up your wii's mac address, it's a very straightforward exploit.
See I interpret "It" to be 4.3, since that's what the previous sentence mentions, not LetterBomb, and because you don't need a game to hack any System Menu, with the exception of ones before 3.0. I guess only smf knows for sure what he meant.

On a semi-related note, someone just updated to 4.3 and got a 003 brick.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I find 4.3 the easiest to softmod. It doesn't require you to play a game before copying a save from an sd card
Actually that's not true. Didn't we discuss this already, or was that somebody else?

What is not true? That 4.3 doesn't force you to play the game before you copy a save? My experience suggests that you don't & earlier versions you do.

That has nothing to do with your System Menu. The HBC has been able to run apps from a HDD for a long time.

You are right it's nothing to do with the System menu, but when you update to 4.3 you get CIOS that work with USB. It's just another time saver.

I don't think anybody knows how.

It's probably more that nobody cares, especially as kludging it is widespread.

You should never suggest that somebody update past 4.1. Although the chances of bricking from the update are extremely low, you shouldn't put anybody at risk when you know that they won't gain anything by updating.

I've heard of more people bricking when creating franken 4.1 than updating to 4.3 officially. If you don't have bootmii as boot2 then you have to be careful about not bricking your wii, no matter what firmware you are on. Maybe I'd feel different if I'd bricked a wii when updating it officially, but I never have.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

What is not true? That 4.3 doesn't force you to play the game before you copy a save? My experience suggests that you don't & earlier versions you do.
Someone must have played the game in the past.

That has nothing to do with your System Menu. The HBC has been able to run apps from a HDD for a long time.

You are right it's nothing to do with the System menu, but when you update to 4.3 you get CIOS that work with USB. It's just another time saver.
You don't get a cIOS, and I think you mean USB2.0.

I don't think anybody knows how.

It's probably more that nobody cares, especially as kludging it is widespread.
Wtf is kludging? Lol.

You should never suggest that somebody update past 4.1. Although the chances of bricking from the update are extremely low, you shouldn't put anybody at risk when you know that they won't gain anything by updating.

I've heard of more people bricking when creating franken 4.1 than updating to 4.3 officially. If you don't have bootmii as boot2 then you have to be careful about not bricking your wii, no matter what firmware you are on. Maybe I'd feel different if I'd bricked a wii when updating it officially, but I never have.
Franken 4.1?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @rqkaiju2, happy early birthday