Need help updating modded wii from 4.2U to 4.3U in order to run Nintendont.

Bonkdonky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! As the title says, I need help updating my Wii safely in order to run Nintendont, as it is not compatible with my current version. I've already tried using ModMii, but my Windows 11 laptop is having issues installing the required .NET Framework 3.5 required to run ModMii.

Any help is appreciated!

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you followed the M$ instructions on this? https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/dotnet-35-windows

Everyone's answer around here is likely to be ModMii, so I recommend figuring out how to get .NET 3.5 working rather than trying to reverse engineer ModMii's Wii update functionality.

If it comes to the latter, all ModMii is really doing to perform a system update is directing you to systematically install the correct IOSs. But a screwup if you tried to do it manually could easily brick your Wii.

Bonkdonky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you followed the M$ instructions on this?

Everyone's answer around here is likely to be ModMii, so I recommend figuring out how to get .NET 3.5 working rather than trying to reverse engineer ModMii's Wii update functionality.

If it comes to the latter, all ModMii is really doing to perform a system update is directing you to systematically install the correct IOSs. But a screwup if you tried to do it manually could easily brick your Wii.
I've tried to follow several guides already but the thing stopping me is that Windows won't allow me to enable/activate .NET Framework 3.5 in my Control Panel. I'm honestly not sure what to do at this point, because I've been working on fixing it for about 4 hours

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. Sorry for your trouble, a quick search reveals you're not alone and a lot of people have had trouble installing .NET 3.5 on Windows 11.

Can you report what version of Windows 11 you're running on? And if you're aware of any significant system-level changes you've made to your Windows installation?

Unfortunately I don't have a solution on your current OS but the information could be useful to Modmii's author to make this easier for setups like yours in the future.

Bonkdonky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. Sorry for your trouble, a quick search reveals you're not alone and a lot of people have had trouble installing .NET 3.5 on Windows 11.

Can you report what version of Windows 11 you're running on? And if you're aware of any significant system-level changes you've made to your Windows installation?

Unfortunately I don't have a solution on your current OS but the information could be useful to Modmii's author to make this easier for setups like yours in the future.
I'm using Windows 11 Home, Version 22H2. The only programs I've installed are things like Python and normal software updates.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried to follow several guides already but the thing stopping me is that Windows won't allow me to enable/activate .NET Framework 3.5 in my Control Panel. I'm honestly not sure what to do at this point, because I've been working on fixing it for about 4 hours
Did you use any tools to block Microsoft / Windows stuffs?

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe so. Do you know where I can check that?
Uhh... I don't have anything that could automagically check. You'd just need to know - which I guess from what you're saying, those tools haven't been run before.

What happens if you try enabling the 3.5 Framework option in Optional Features?

Any error messages?

Bonkdonky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhh... I don't have anything that could automagically check. You'd just need to know - which I guess from what you're saying, those tools haven't been run before.

What happens if you try enabling the 3.5 Framework option in Optional Features?

Any error messages?
Yup. When I try to enable Framework 3.5, it asks me to download necessary files. Once it's "downloaded", it says it was unsuccessful, and Framework 3.5 is not enabled/installed.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
As a 'get it done' solution, the easiest way might be to just quickly install Windows on a VM if you can using e.g. virtual box. You don't need a windows license for this, you can get/create the iso here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows11

(On android at least, it presents the option to just download the iso, otherwise you might need to run the media creation tool).

As for your other issue:

Yup. When I try to enable Framework 3.5, it asks me to download necessary files. Once it's "downloaded", it says it was unsuccessful, and Framework 3.5 is not enabled/installed.

Does it give an error code?

Bonkdonky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Attachments

• Windows error.png
    Windows error.png
    33 KB · Views: 9

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Have you tried running this?
https://download.visualstudio.micro...51b87007440a15209cac29634a4e45/dotnetfx35.exe

ModMii should have detected 3.5 framework was missing and downloaded\launched this installer (note a different installer is required for Win 7 or lower)

edit:
after a quick google search of your error I found this:
source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...80080005/1419737c-aebc-4806-a584-1a785fd58364

edit2: I'm not sure if the above applies for Win10 & Win11, but here's another tutorial you could try to resolve the issue that claims to work for Win 10 and Win 11
https://www.winchatsupport.com/error-code-0x80080005/

Last edited by XFlak,

Bonkdonky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried running this?

ModMii should have detected 3.5 framework was missing and downloaded\launched this installer (note a different installer is required for Win 7 or lower)
Yes, ModMii prompted me to download the missing ,framework but during the download it would buffer then fail with an error message.

I tried out the methods from the website you linked, but it didn't work :( I'm starting to think that this is a lost cause. Do you know of any other ways to update my Wii to 4.3U? That's all I'm trying to do.
Post automatically merged:

Are you running a fully up to date version of Windows 11?
Yes, there are no further updates available as far as I know.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
There's really no benefit of 4.3 over 4.2 or 4.1, so there shouldn't be a need to update. If you are being prompted to update in order to launch a game, u can block updates with a priiloader system menu hack, directions here https://wii.hacks.guide/priiloader

If u really want to update to 4.3 just cause, u can do an official update AFTER confirming your wii serial is not Korean. If a Korean wii was poorly region changed then an official update could result in brick. And obv u would need to disable any priiloader hacks blocking updates for this to work, then enable them again afterwards.

Might not be a bad idea to post a syscheck too if possible
https://gbatemp.net/threads/posting-a-system-check.300279/

Edit: all Nintendont needs to run is the latest hbc installed to use IOS58. If your syscheck indicates u have IOS58 installed but the hbc is using a dif IOS, then just run the hackmii installer and reinstall the hbc, it will reinstall it to use IOS58 if it exists on the console. Alternatively just install the LULZ hbc wad on devnol's hbc github page to accomplish the same.

If IOS58 is missing, u can just run the IOS58 installer homebrew app before the above step. Or download it from NUS and install it in wad form, or perform an official update.

Last edited by XFlak,

Bonkdonky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's really no benefit of 4.3 over 4.2 or 4.1, so there shouldn't be a need to update. If you are being prompted to update in order to launch a game, u can block updates with a priiloader system menu hack, directions here https://wii.hacks.guide/priiloader

If u really want to update to 4.3 just cause, u can do an official update AFTER confirm your wii serial is not Korean. If a Korean wii was poorly region changed then an official update could result in brick. And obv u would need to disable any priiloader hacks blocking updates for this to work, then enable them again afterwards.

Might not be a bad idea to post a syscheck too if possible
https://gbatemp.net/threads/posting-a-system-check.300279/
I just want to update my Wii in order to run Nintendont. If I can't update my Wii, is there an alternative software to boot GameCube games?

I'll update you on if my Wii is Korean or not. I highly doubt it, because my dad bought it for my siblings and I back when it released, and he got it modded by a coworker. I'll be able to check the serial code in the morning-evening.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste