PS1/2 Is there any homebrew that lets me bypass the region lock?

satopunch89

In a galaxy, slightly too far away...
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or am I stuck with getting a modchip, swapmagic, or other region console? I'm looking to play some original NTSC discs on my PAL console, and don't want to get a hard drive (I have a PS2 slim anyway) or buy anything extra. I already have a Free McBoot memory card and know how to install new homebrew if that helps. Thanks!

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or am I stuck with getting a modchip, swapmagic, or other region console? I'm looking to play some original NTSC discs on my PAL console, and don't want to get a hard drive (I have a PS2 slim anyway) or buy anything extra. I already have a Free McBoot memory card and know how to install new homebrew if that helps. Thanks!
Since you have freemcboot you can just make backups of your game disc, and as long as they are dvd based, you can patch them with esr patcher gui v24a to play your games and use a program called gsm mode selector to run the games in pal mode for your console assuming your tv doesn't have a ntsc video mode built into it. Just hope you have some dvd-r around your house somewhere since you don't want to buy anything extra.

Last edited by cvskid,

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A bit more info would be good.
What do you want to do ?

1) Play out of region PS2 games on a PS2 ?
2) Play out of region PS1 games on a PS2 ?
3) Play out of region PS1 games on a PS1 ?

For:
1) FreeMCBoot
2) FreeMCBoot + this PS1 backup launcher homebrew which name I don't remember (people use this to boot backups by messing with their drive trays).
3) Action Replay or something if a mod chip is a no go.

Regards,
iCEQB

satopunch89

In a galaxy, slightly too far away...
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A bit more info would be good.
What do you want to do ?

1) Play out of region PS2 games on a PS2 ?
2) Play out of region PS1 games on a PS2 ?
3) Play out of region PS1 games on a PS1 ?

For:
1) FreeMCBoot
2) FreeMCBoot + this PS1 backup launcher homebrew which name I don't remember (people use this to boot backups by messing with their drive trays).
3) Action Replay or something if a mod chip is a no go.

Regards,
iCEQB

First option for both.

You can backup the disc, patch it as mentioned above, and then burn a copy.

Ah well, I was hoping there'd be some way to just launch the disc directly.

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't imagine that FreeMCBoot (or Homebrew in general) can't circumvent region protection for original discs on PS2.
Try it with ULaunchELF and start the main executable on the disc ... region free discs like from Datel etc. are doing nothing else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: you can't turn link into a femboy in tears of the kingdom