MODBO 5 PS2 SLIM 90000

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just installed a modbo 5 on my ps2 slim but for some reason I have to hold down circle in order to play movies. It doesn't matter what the region is set, I have to hold down O and if I eject and try to play the movie using the PS2 Dashboard, it just keeps looping on the screen that says DVD movie press X.

When I disabled the mod chip the problem no longer persisted, in fact when you put in an out of region movie it gives you a message saying that it is out of region. If I turn the console off and hold circle, the movie boots 100% of the time.

With the mod chip disabled I can play movies as always and can restart the disc without having to turn off the console. I already went back and checked my connections.

PS2 Backups and PS1 back ups work great. Everything works outside of having to hold down O before booting movies.

Not sure how much success I will get with this post since the console is so old, but hoping someone on here can lead me out of the woods.

Cheers.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just installed a modbo 5 on my ps2 slim but for some reason I have to hold down circle in order to play movies. It doesn't matter what the region is set, I have to hold down O and if I eject and try to play the movie using the PS2 Dashboard, it just keeps looping on the screen that says DVD movie press X.

When I disabled the mod chip the problem no longer persisted, in fact when you put in an out of region movie it gives you a message saying that it is out of region. If I turn the console off and hold circle, the movie boots 100% of the time.

With the mod chip disabled I can play movies as always and can restart the disc without having to turn off the console. I already went back and checked my connections.

PS2 Backups and PS1 back ups work great. Everything works outside of having to hold down O before booting movies.

Not sure how much success I will get with this post since the console is so old, but hoping someone on here can lead me out of the woods.

Cheers.

Not much you can do.

Holding circle is forcing the chip into ps1/dvd mode, which is why that works. Later ps2 chips should auto detect and select the appropriate mode automatically, but it's always been a bit unreliable. Even on the Matrix Infinity (orginal chip that modbo chips are a clone of) it was never 100%, which is why it has hold O to force it.

The original Matrix Infinity was out of production iirc by the time the 9000 series came around and it either didn't work or needed some extra components (can't remember).

Not much you can do, nothing you can chase down or change. It changing mode automatically with ps1 discs, but not movies is probably just a bug/quirk, as it's cloned from a chip that was never designed for the 9000 series and was never 100% reliable with that function to start with.

PS2 really needs a modern open source chip like other consoles have. I wonder if it's too complex or the knowledge has been lost.

Last edited by Armadillo,
Reactions: Ryccardo

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS2 really needs a modern open source chip like other consoles have. I wonder if it's too complex or the knowledge has been lost.
A few PS2 modchips were "opensource" (disassembled, leaked, DIY, etc), but the main problem is the BIOS. The BIOS needs to be modified to bypass PS2 security - no way around that.

Duo 2 ICE (DIY clone): https://www.psx-place.com/threads/duo-2-ice-open-cad.37467/

Details about PS2 security here: https://github.com/mlafeldt/ps2logo/blob/master/Documentation/PS2_Disc_Security_explanations.htm

Funnily enough, some PS1 modchips can be adapted to be used on the PS2, but only for PS1 mode.

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not much you can do.

Holding circle is forcing the chip into ps1/dvd mode, which is why that works. Later ps2 chips should auto detect and select the appropriate mode automatically, but it's always been a bit unreliable. Even on the Matrix Infinity (orginal chip that modbo chips are a clone of) it was never 100%, which is why it has hold O to force it.

The original Matrix Infinity was out of production iirc by the time the 9000 series came around and it either didn't work or needed some extra components (can't remember).

Not much you can do, nothing you can chase down or change. It changing mode automatically with ps1 discs, but not movies is probably just a bug/quirk, as it's cloned from a chip that was never designed for the 9000 series and was never 100% reliable with that function to start with.

My main concern is that all the wires are soldered properly.

Can you boot movies region free without having the Y point soldered?

I checked continuity on all the connections and all seems good.

Changing the region in the mod chip settings doesn't do anything.

As long as I hold O any region dvd will play. If I have the mod chip set to auto, it doesn't play dvd's unless I hold O.

If I set mod chip to DVDV(I think) it auto boots both region dvds without having to hold 0. It still won't let me boot movies from Sony menu though.

PS one games are being auto detected, but not movies for some reason.

Thank you for your help. I already disassembled my ps2 twice trying to fix this.

Edit: Changing the setting to DVDV lets me boot the DVD once through the Sony menu, after an eject it no longer lets me.

After further research, it appears that this is a known bug for the 90000 series, I saw a comment on the website with the mod chip diagrams that detailed the exact problem I am having now.

Last edited by Blakejansen,

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: SylverReZ

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't worth mentioning since the Duo 2 ICE archive already contains files for the Magic 3 chip and other modchips (Messiah, etc.)

And to be honest, your modchips aren't worth mentioning at all since the designs are derived from other chips or opensource projects.

Is there a better alternative to these modbo clones?

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a better alternative to these modbo clones?
Available on the market? Probably not.

The Mars Pro GM-806HD (DMS-4 Lite clone) would probably be better than the Modbo 5.0, but I don't know by how much or if it even supports 9000X models.

Honorable mention but no longer available / Brazil exclusive: Thunder Pro II

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you can solder (which op can), then why not?

Direct boot of all region PS1 and PS2 games, original and backups without having to patch the images. Chip is still the only method to do this. Mechapwn can do PS1, and on some consoles, original imports of PS2. ESR or freedvdboot can do ps2 backups, but you have to patch.

Region free dvd without having to launch homebrew First.

Green screen fix for PAL consoles when playing dvds over RGB scart.

You can use homebrew if you want. Even if your chip interferes with fmcb, you can set ulaunch.elf as dev1, hold r1 to boot it, and load what you want from there.

if you can solder, then theres 0 downsides to it.

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Even if your chip interferes with fmcb, you can set ulaunch.elf as dev1, hold r1 to boot it, and load what you want from there.
A big downside of this is that games that use the widescreen option in the system settings to display in 16:9 cannot do that if not booted through OSDSYS. Games like Burnout 3 and Crash Nitro Kart are affected.

Modbo 5.0 can work with FMCB, but not FHDB.

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A big downside of this is that games that use the widescreen option in the system settings to display in 16:9 cannot do that if not booted through OSDSYS. Games like Burnout 3 and Crash Nitro Kart are affected.

Modbo 5.0 can work with FMCB, but not FHDB.
What is OSDSYS? I don't know anything about the ps2. I just wanted to mod one for fun.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Totally! Just generally curious if it was just for finding a solution. But if it's for tinkering? Modchip away! (I think Free Mcboot etc kind of killed off any remaining commercial modchips)
I highly doubt Free McBoot killed off modchips, as there are still reasons to use one in the first place, such as booting PS1 games.

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What is OSDSYS? I don't know anything about the ps2. I just wanted to mod one for fun.

That's the build-in software that displays the startup Sony-screen and the system menu (with browser & system settings).

Booting a .elf directly with the Modbo 5.0 skips this.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's the build-in software that displays the startup Sony-screen and the system menu (with browser & system settings).

Booting a .elf directly with the Modbo 5.0 skips this.
@Blakejansen This is the partition used to load updates via a memory card, which is what FMCB exploits.
@Fien The BIOS is stored on the ROM, not the OSDSYS iirc.

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@Blakejansen This is the partition used to load updates via a memory card, which is what FMCB exploits.
@Fien The BIOS is stored on the ROM, not the OSDSYS iirc.
But the (unhacked) OSDSYS is there even without a memory card inserted, so it must be on a ROM on the mainboard. It provides the browser and system settings options.

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the (unhacked) OSDSYS is there even without a memory card inserted, so it must be on a ROM on the mainboard. It provides the browser and system settings options.

How do you run your games usually? I know I have to set up the chip to boot an elf but I thought FCMB didn't work with chips. My goal is to boot games over lan using my local server.

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There is a version of FMCB which works with modchips.

I use FMCB to load OPL, which can load games from network (SMB), HDD, USB or MX4SIO.

The ELF loading function of the modchip is useful for installing FMCB to the memory card.

But: in the topic title you say it's a SCPH-90000 console? Not all of these support FMCB. First check that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lesbians invented babies +2