Gaming Is Pokemon X/Y worth it for someone who hasn't played the franchise in a long time?

JayPea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wasn't sure before but now i am, i see the true troll in you. By using phrases like "throw-away turd" ur trolling, yes. Why even come here and ask? got nothing better to do? U've seen everyone buy it and say they love it, u've seen the reviews what else do you want? for someone to come to your house and play it in front of you? If you still have a hard time deciding if its worth the 35 then maybe money is a issue for you and you shouldn't be fucking with video games in the first place? I don't even know why i typed all this out anyway, you're obviously just looking to insult the game.

I was annoyed by your reply and inserted vitriol into mine. For that, I'm sorry. Can we forgive each other?

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I was annoyed by your reply and inserted vitriol into mine. For that, I'm sorry. Can we forgive each other?

Wow an apology on the internet that's rare,yes we can no hard feelings. I say its worth 35 honestly it's so very addicting you just gotta have a open mind if you only like realistic games then it's not up your alley.

JayPea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Righto. Thanks for the conversation. My (Japanese) wife, sat next to me, can't believe that I'm arguing on the internet about Pokemon and whether I should buy it (she said it's a kid's game). Well, balls to that. I'll (40 y/o Welsh male) be buying it tomorrow and I'll check back in to this thread, probably for tips. Thanks GBATemp.

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Righto. Thanks for the conversation. My (Japanese) wife, sat next to me, can't believe that I'm arguing on the internet about Pokemon and whether I should buy it (she said it's a kid's game). Well, balls to that. I'll (40 y/o Welsh male) be buying it tomorrow and I'll check back in to this thread, probably for tips. Thanks GBATemp.

Heh, I found an article recently about who plays Pokemon more in Japan.....and it says college students do more than kids.

http://playeressence.com/japanese-study-shows-majority-pokemon-x-y-players-college-kids/

The Media Create group did a study on the demographics of Pokemon X & Y players, and they found a majority of them are college kids ages 19-24. This news bucks the claims that Nintendo’s games are only for kids.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd go for it. I am enjoying it quite a bit, and there's no continuity in the story that you're gonna be left scratching your head over from not having played recent games, just some Pokemon you missed (which are mostly in this).

Physical vs Digital - That 25% off of a game is nice, I'd go physical. Otherwise, eShop Cash cards aren't taxed at point of sale, and if you set your billing zip on your 3DS to somewhere in Delaware or Alaska you don't pay sales tax, so under normal circumstances you'll get it ever so slightly cheaper off of the eShop. Personally, I still go physical whenever possible.

JayPea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wife says that all Japanese people in Japanese university have more time and money to play Pokemon (and other games) so it's not surprising that they make up the demographic. She's laughing at the opportunity to waste time (having no time to waste now). Perhaps it's not as cut and dried as that? Either way, I'm buying a physical copy tomorrow (just tried the Eshop but no internet).

JayPea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd go for it. I am enjoying it quite a bit, and there's no continuity in the story that you're gonna be left scratching your head over from not having played recent games, just some Pokemon you missed (which are mostly in this).

Physical vs Digital - That 25% off of a game is nice, I'd go physical. Otherwise, eShop Cash cards aren't taxed at point of sale, and if you set your billing zip on your 3DS to somewhere in Delaware or Alaska you don't pay sales tax, so under normal circumstances you'll get it ever so slightly cheaper off of the eShop. Personally, I still go physical whenever possible.

Thanks for the reply. I'll be buying a physical copy tomorrow, for sure. I'm actually looking forward to playing something different as I usually go for something more akin to The Last of Us.

Bleak, I know, but it pushes my buttons.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks. It's somewhat outside of my comfort zone, as far as content goes, but I'm willing to give it a go. And if I hate it, I can always trade it in quickly with minimal loss of funds.

Yeah, don't make any second thoughts. I don't need to explain why, when you get it you'll love it.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't played since Ruby and I love this game. Still don't know names or weakness accept that fire hurts grass, and water hurts fire.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Haven't played since Ruby and I love this game. Still don't know names or weakness accept that fire hurts grass, and water hurts fire.

You aren't the only one! I've played since the beginning (only skipped White/Black 2), and even I go..."Blargh?" at some things.

The names I'm terrible at as well. And the typings - I just had to look up what the new fairy type was weak to - poison and steel! :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think they stopped making it due to disks exploding lol