Hardware Is Nintendo Giving Up on Wii U?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Nintendo's next home console needs to lose the cd drive, be downloadable content only and be 100% subscription based with 3 Rd party companies included as a separate subscription. So you can either subscribe to just nintendo games, 3rd party games, or subscribe to both.
worst...idea...ever!
not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-stupid.jpg

DeezTits

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo haven't given up on the Wii U- they're just not trying with it. I knew that after the big Mario game of the generation for Wii U turned out to be a NSMB clone with cats. Then they've got the low-budget games like Captain Toad, Kirby, NSMBU, etc., which make up the core of the Wii U's catalog. As I've said before, Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. are the only great first party games on the system at the moment. Depending on how Zelda U develops, it might join the other two. The rest aren't bad- they're good. But good's not good enough. Nintendo needs to start reaching their old standard again.

Well said.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Nintendo haven't given up on the Wii U- they're just not trying with it. I knew that after the big Mario game of the generation for Wii U turned out to be a NSMB clone with cats. Then they've got the low-budget games like Captain Toad, Kirby, NSMBU, etc., which make up the core of the Wii U's catalog. As I've said before, Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. are the only great first party games on the system at the moment. Depending on how Zelda U develops, it might join the other two. The rest aren't bad- they're good. But good's not good enough. Nintendo needs to start reaching their old standard again.
Given up / not trying are pretty much the same for Wii U as the damn thing sells like shit and by pushing their quality games to the 3DS makes it even more profitable than it already is.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo's next home console needs to lose the cd drive, be downloadable content only and be 100% subscription based with 3 Rd party companies included as a separate subscription. So you can either subscribe to just nintendo games, 3rd party games, or subscribe to both.

As long as it's not tied to a console and works like Steam where you can download and re-download as often as you'd like, I would be for all that. But if there are people who live in a more rural area without broadband, there's no way in hell they can download massive games. So, unless there are options to download no matter what happens to your console and not the same shit they pulled by tying it to the Wii U, it won't work well.

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Given up / not trying are pretty much the same for Wii U as the damn thing sells like shit and by pushing their quality games to the 3DS makes it even more profitable than it already is.

3DS development is far more cheaper and with higher profit margins. Plus there is already a big customer base for it...

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
3DS development is far more cheaper and with higher profit margins. Plus there is already a big customer base for it...
Yeah plus no need to work on HD remakes as the handheld only handles low SD resolution anyway. Win-win for Nintendo.

Everyone's given up on the Wii U, Nintendo merely keeps it on life support while they work on a successor which is likely to come out within 5-6 years if we're lucky, sooner if not.

More like 3-4 years (2018) as each Nintendo console last about 6 years until a new one's released.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, they aren't giving up. They obscured the 3DS in order to try pushing the sales for the Wii U. They even sponsored tournament like Apex hoping that more people will get interested into the console. They just can't stop now or is gg for both consoles.

That, or the New Wii U is on the go. Now with HD gamepad and superior processor power.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They have a console to back themselves up - it's called the 3DS and it prints money.

Sure, the 3DS is all well and good, but the 3DS doesn't appeal to me and I sure as hell don't want to buy one a 3rd time. I can't even see 3D effects and no, the 2DS is not an option, the smaller screen, lacking of clam shell screens and smaller buttons are, well, too small for me lol. Though I'm 100% sure that people want to see Nintendo fail with the Wii U and go the way of Sega.

Opoth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am actually very happy with the Wii U. It's my favorite Nintendo console since the SNES. MK8 and Smash are great of course, but I'm really looking forward to Xenoblade X and Zelda more than any other games right now, aside from maybe RB4. If Nintendo said 2016 was the last year of major development for the Wii U, that would be fine with me as long as we get a Paper Mario or Metroid game next year.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, the 3DS doesn't appeal to me and I sure as hell don't want to buy one a 3rd time. I can't even see 3D effects and no, the 2DS is not an option, the smaller screen and smaller buttons are, well, too small for me lol.
I have several 3DS systems and I don't use the 3D functionality 99% of the time, this is not a hurdle. The Wii U is a lost cause, the system is inadequate and there's no saving it. Nintendo makes money on one system and throws it down a bottomless pit in a vain attempt to save another when everybody else jumped ship, the Wii U will be another system with just a couple of first-party games to offer by the end of its lifecycle (which will be pretty soon).

Reactions: TemplarGR

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have several 3DS systems and I don't use the 3D functionality 99% of the time, this is not a hurdle. The Wii U is a lost cause, the system is inadequate and there's no saving it. Nintendo makes money on one system and throws it down a bottomless pit in a vain attempt to save another when everybody else jumped ship, the Wii U will be another system with just a couple of first-party games to offer by the end of its lifecycle (which will be pretty soon).

Though I'm sure there are people on here would like to see Nintendo give up, lose millions of dollars and become the next Sega, sort of like a Schadenfreude to them :creep: That being said, nothing's ever gonna convince me to get another 3DS or 3DS XL, because of the lack of money (for now), and the fact that when I had it twice, it just...didn't appeal to me, maybe I expected too much out of it, I don't know. If someone wants to convince me otherwise, they can go ahead :P

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Guys, they aren't giving up. They obscured the 3DS in order to try pushing the sales for the Wii U. They even sponsored tournament like Apex hoping that more people will get interested into the console. They just can't stop now or is gg for both consoles.

That, or the New Wii U is on the go. Now with HD gamepad and superior processor power.
Good luck convincing people to buy an HD GamePad because if the original GamePad was completely optional then not many would've bothered at all given the superior Wii U Pro Controller and other alternate controllers out there. Worst part about the GamePad? It only lasts 2-3hrs with the default battery it came and the rumble is like from a decade old phone.

2018-19 and farewell Wii U you're done for. Surprisingly it's better than the N64 for its games.

Reactions: TemplarGR

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Though I'm sure there are people on here would like to see Nintendo give up, lose millions of dollars and become the next Sega, sort of like a Schadenfreude to them :creep: That being said, nothing's ever gonna convince me to get another 3DS or 3DS XL, because of the lack of money (for now), and the fact that when I had it twice, it just...didn't appeal to me, maybe I expected too much out of it, I don't know. If someone wants to convince me otherwise, they can go ahead :P
Neither system is up to par and Nintendo needs to realize that before it's too late for them. They will become the next Sega if they keep pumping money in obsolete hardware using their business model from the 90ties that no longer applies to contemporary development. In today's competitive market you cannot survive without third party support, not with dev cycles of several years.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neither system is up to par and Nintendo needs to realize that before it's too late for them. They will become the next Sega if they keep pumping money in obsolete hardware using their business model from the 90ties that no longer applies to contemporary development. In today's competitive market you cannot survive without third party support, not with dev cycles of several years.

You know, I think I've said all I wanted to say on this discussion, gonna bail out before I make an idiot outta myself, I mean again :P Once more, I still think nothing, and no one, can ever convince me to get another 3DS, unless it was a gift :P

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
I imagine they will support it until it hits 20-30 million in sales, which should be another 2-3 years, then just announce their console/handheld cross hybrid platform.

But to be honest....

Kirby Plasticine Edition
Mario Party 10
Yoshi Wooly World
Zelda U
Devils Third
Mario Maker
Xenoblade X
Splatoon
Star Fox U

That's... honestly not too shabby for the next 9 months! Or is that just me?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Good luck convincing people to buy an HD GamePad because if the original GamePad was completely optional then not many would've bothered at all given the superior Wii U Pro Controller and other alternate controllers out there. Worst part about the GamePad? It only lasts 2-3hrs with the default battery it came and the rumble is like from a decade old phone.

2018-19 and farewell Wii U you're done for. Surprisingly it's better than the N64 for its games.
It's not even the gamepad's fault, although it did create an unnecessary hurdle in terms of pricing - it's a neat piece of hardware. The bigger problem is that the Wii U was designed to be competitive against the PS3 and the Xbox 360, consoles that are not its competitors. It doesn't have the oomph to support modern gaming and developers quickly realized that. Unlike the PS3 and the 360 though it has no install base to speak of that could be milked with watered down ports, so with nothing going for it, why bother? The gamepad idea would've worked out if the gamepad was in fact the 3DS, but that would require Nintendo to design not one but two adequate systems, and we can't have that, can we? :)

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    D @ dadadad: блядь