Hardware Is Nintendo Giving Up on Wii U?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heck, even if Zelda U is the last good game for the console, and it's open world, fully explorable, etc. etc. -- You can play that for a solid year straight.

I somehow doubt it, I feel its just going to be empty overworld with enemy spawns

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a black Premium Wii U and two white Wii's. :)
Ons41XI.jpg
When did that happen? You've mentioned a lot of times that you don't own a Wii U. Also, that's a pitiful game collection, but I only buy for one console so I can understand a budget. I'd recommend checking out Amazon some time (I keep a link sorted by price so I can snag bargains) if you want to expand it to something less embarrassing. ;) The Wii U versions of Arkham City and Mass Effect 3 have some very nice improvements over the originals, so I would strongly recommend grabbing those for like $15 if you haven't played them before.

The original game is awful and chances are the sequel will be as well, but it has mechs so I can't hate it too much. :)
So you are the fabled Xenoblade hater? I'd heard rumors that such a person existed, but I never believed it was more than a myth until now.

It's not my fault that it's generic, you're glorifying a McDonald's meal.
Screw you, McDonalds is f*cking awesome! I had McD's pancakes for breakfast.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
When did that happen? You've mentioned a lot of times that you don't own a Wii U. Also, that's a pitiful game collection, but I only buy for one console so I can understand a budget. I'd recommend checking out Amazon some time (I keep a link sorted by price so I can snag bargains) if you want to expand it to something less embarrassing. ;) The Wii U versions of Arkham City and Mass Effect 3 have some very nice improvements over the originals, so I would strongly recommend grabbing those for like $15 if you haven't played them before.

So you are the fabled Xenoblade hater? I'd heard rumors that such a person existed, but I never believed it was more than a myth until now.

Screw you, McDonalds is f*cking awesome! I had McD's pancakes for breakfast.
Why would I grab Wii U versions of games I already have on the PS3/360/PC? I rarely double dip, I would have to REALLY love a game to buy it twice. As for the collection, those are the only mildly interesting Wii U games, most of the rest is rubbish. To be fair though, I do split my spending on PS3/360/PS4/Wii U/PSVita/3DS, so there you go. As for Mickey D's, it's tasty, but let's not treat it like a high class restaurant, they're not exactly Gordon Ramsay level of gastronomical prestige, and that's how people treat Xenoblade.

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nintendo PARTIALLY gave up on Wii U. Because they released it way too LATE. Yes, late. It is as powerful as 360/PS3, so it should've come a few years earlier to compete with those. But now that XBone and PS4 are out (and it was what, one year after Wii U?) the only 3rd party support they can count on, is games that are still being made for previous gen consoles.
Nintendo is already working on a new console, I just hope they are not 'copying' current generation of consoles and release it a year before the next gen AGAIN. They should wait, wait for PS5/XBox Two (let's keep dumb naming ideas going, why not!) to be announced with tech details and then try to get to their level quickly, otherwise they are going to have heavy losses, again. Even worse than Wii U possibly.

Reactions: DeezTits and Foxi4

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nintendo pretty much have the handheld market all to themselves and I cant see Sony releasing a follow up to the Vita so Nintendo have their "corner" now as it were. I think they are done in the console market. They can't compete power wise with MS and Sony which from the off means either lazy last gen ports or no third party support at all. The Wii was just a fluke. It came along at the right time when people wanted to try something different but that won't happen again. In the home console market Nintendo have also messed up with their release schedules. If they release a console in the next 24 months they have an impossible job to sell it because of the traction that the PS4 and Xbox are gaining ( they should both by that point be around their peak sales wise). So they won't get third party support there either because the console will still be a hard sell. The flip side of the coin is that they wait it out and release a new console when the other consoles are on the decline, but that could literally be 4 or 5 year away from here. What do Nintendo do until 2020? Continue to flog a dead horse that no one buys?

For me, having loved Nintendo right since the mid 80s, they should stick to an area where they are still dominant because it isn't influenced by high hardware specs and costs which is handheld. Then they need to make the choice of whether they stay there and only there, or make games for other consoles along side it (which I cant see them ever doing either unfortunately)

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Why would I grab Wii U versions of games I already have on the PS3/360/PC? I rarely double dip, I would have to REALLY love a game to buy it twice. As for the collection, those are the only mildly interesting Wii U games, most of the rest is rubbish. To be fair though, I do split my spending on PS3/360/PS4/Wii U/PSVita/3DS, so there you go.
I specifically said "if you haven't played them before." But for the record, the Wii U versions of the games actually cost less than buying the included DLC on other consoles.

I'm actually quite surprised you didn't get Bayonetta 2, considering it's literally one of the highest rated games in history.

There are other ports that I'd suggest, but they have little to no (in the case of AC4, less) improvement over the originals, so there is no reason to get them if you can get it cheaper on an old console.

As for Mickey D's, it's tasty, but let's not treat it like a high class restaurant, they're not exactly Gordon Ramsay level of gastronomical prestige, and that's how people treat Xenoblade.
People treat Xenoblade like it's awesome because it is awesome. It's fine if you didn't like it, but that doesn't change how popular it is. I've never liked any of the Final Fantasy games. Guess that makes them all universally boring. :rolleyes:
Nintendo PARTIALLY gave up on Wii U. Because they released it way too LATE. Yes, late. It is as powerful as 360/PS3, so it should've come a few years earlier to compete with those.
Stress tests show that it is actually quite a bit more powerful than the PS360, although it's still very far behind the PS4/X1.

In the previous two generations, the least powerful consoles won.

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Stress tests show that it is actually quite a bit more powerful than the PS360, although it's still very far behind the PS4/X1.

In the previous two generations, the least powerful consoles won.

Previous two? I don't think PS2 was weaker than Xbox, tho I acknowledge it was weaker than GC, and it is the one most commonly said as the winning one.
As for previous generation, Wii brought in some actual innovation with it's motion controls an focus on casual gamers, which is why it won. But this is what backfired on them in this generation, casuals don't care about console upgrades, they will keep playing on Wii, and if they got more into gaming, then they will probably go for PS4/XBone this time, due to more power and also still having some casual gaming (XBone for sure, with Kinect, not sure if there is Move for PS4). Wii was perfect, Wii U as 'upgraded Wii' sadly is not.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
JoostinOnline (not gonna quote the whole post) Bayonetta is not my type of game, I tried it last gen and it was "ehh", not going there again. High review scores mean nothing to me, FFXIII got near perfect scores too and it's ass, FF as a franchise has been on a downward slope since 7 and it's reached rock bottom with the last few releases, so there. Xenoblade is "awesome" because it's the only title of its kind on a console that generally lacked AAA titles for the same reasons the Wii U does, in my eyes it's a "beggars can't be choosers" kind of a deal. Nintendo has far better JRPG franchises, Golden Sun for instance is great, although the DS one was on the boring side due to the development hell it went through.

Previous two? I don't think PS2 was weaker than Xbox, tho I acknowledge it was weaker than GC, and it is the one most commonly said as the winning one.
As for previous generation, Wii brought in some actual innovation with it's motion controls an focus on casual gamers, which is why it won. But this is what backfired on them in this generation, casuals don't care about console upgrades, they will keep playing on Wii, and if they got more into gaming, then they will probably go for PS4/XBone this time, due to more power and also still having some casual gaming (XBone for sure, with Kinect, not sure if there is Move for PS4). Wii was perfect, Wii U as 'upgraded Wii' sadly is not.
The Xbox trumped both the PS2 and the GC. In terms of power it was DC<PS2<GC<Xbox, the reason the PS2 steamrolled over the competition was a combination of great design and a superb launch window library. Once everyone and their dog had a PS2 the rest was just playing the catch up game. As far as last gen is concerned, the Wii was a 100-million-selling dust collector, it was adapted quickly due to its low price point and intriguing motion controls, but the novelty wore off once people realized they're not getting their Skyrims or Mass Effects and switched to either the PS3 or the 360, pretty much a 50/50 split there.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline (not gonna quote the whole post) Bayonetta is not my type of game
I get that. I can't afford it at the moment so I can't speak from experience, but I can easily tell from the trailer that it's not for everyone. Lots of people are excited for Devil's Third, but I'd almost buy a Barbie game before I got that. Way too much gore for me.

The point I'm trying to make is that a single person's opinion doesn't decide if a game is good or bad. If it did, almost every single game ever would be amazing, horrible, and meh, all at the same time.
Yes, the PS2 was weaker than the Xbox (which was more powerful than the Gamecube). And technically, you could easily say that the Wii U is an upgraded Gamecube. They use the same processor family, which is why the Wii U is backwards compatible with Wii and Gamecube games. The Wii was a higher clocked GC processor, and the Wii U is a triple-core Wii processor.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
At least one person in this thread, Miiverse, Facebook, etc.

To me, it looks a lot like Gears of War, which had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much gore for me. But that was also an extremely popular game.
The game looks fun and playable to a certain extent but it doesn't exceed beyond that, although I'm willing to pre-order it if the price is right and all.

Slicing on DT doesn't look as fluid as is on Metal Gear Rising but they might improve it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'll probably grab Devil's Third just to support third party devs on the Wii U. That and aside from Zelda there's really nothing more to wait for since Starfox turned out to be episodic Lylat Wars HD. Nintendo clearly hates my money and doesn't feel like doing the right thing and releasing Metroid to compete with Halo 5 and Destiny, but what do I know about appeasing fans of a system, I'm sure they know what they're doing, Mario Party will do. :tpi:

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
2015 is a pretty sucky year for Wii U games, so much so that half of its games are budget/DLC-locked while the others are thankfully full retail games though with some amiibo support.

Nintendo really dropped the ball when they made Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars & Kirby and the Rainbow Curse both home console games when they're literally envisioned for handhelds only. Home console games = You look at the fucking TV / Handhelds = have your eyes on the portable device. God damn it Nintendo.

Reactions: DeezTits

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2015 is a pretty sucky year for Wii U games, so much so that half of its games are budget/DLC-locked while the others are thankfully full retail games though with some amiibo support.

Nintendo really dropped the ball when they made Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars & Kirby and the Rainbow Curse both home console games when they're literally envisioned for handhelds only. Home console games = You look at the fucking TV / Handhelds = have your eyes on the portable device. God damn it Nintendo.

To be fair, the original Mario vs Donkey Kong was a GameCube game

But yeah, I resent the fact that MvDK, KatRC, and MP10 are almost half of the game announcements for the Wii U...

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo is still just one company. They can only develop so many games at a time, and most take years before they are finished.

Lets not forget that they just recently stated that they are gonna pimp out their IPS hard to 3rd parties to increase the amount of games.

Probably due to success of Hyrule Warriors.

This could be very good or very bad. But I imagine we will see a lot more Nintendo IP but 3rd party created spin-off games in the next 2-4 years

**Me in charge of quotes

Reactions: DeezTits

DeezTits

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One game, I forgot to mention, if you want to consider this a major title, is Project Cars. Maybe I consider it major because I really want it! That game looks AMAZING! .. But with 3 delays so far and no mention of a Wii U release on the last two, it's looking grim.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: Good morning everyone