Hacking Is it really worth the wait?

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will be a hard decision. But I may just have to wait to play it - as it will most likely have a forced update. I am in school anyway so I don't have much free time for games. My roomies however will be upset because they are really looking forward to Odyssey.

You could play it on somebody else's Switch. They'll probably make you be the hat though.

Reactions: x65943

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. This early on in the Switch's life it is absolutely not worth it. If it's anything like the Vita, you won't be able to play newer games even when the exploit is public, but who knows?

Some people, like me, couldn't give a shit if we can't access the eShop or play Splatoon Too online. I've got the two Switch games I want, BotW and Blaster Master Zero (along with a handful more games I regret buying). Mario Odyssey looks cool. I'll play it on my friend's Switch. You might miss a lot if you didn't update. I'll be missing very little. For now anyways.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people, like me, couldn't give a shit if we can't access the eShop or play Splatoon Too online. I've got the two Switch games I want, BotW and Blaster Master Zero (along with a handful more games I regret buying). Mario Odyssey looks cool. I'll play it on my friend's Switch. You might miss a lot if you didn't update. I'll be missing very little. For now anyways.
That's cool, but I doubt many people bought a Switch for just two games. We'll see what happens. If this firmware is the only one that allows homebrew, then the pool of users and, by extension, devs is gonna be small anyways since most people will have updated.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My preference is to keep it in a lower firmware but honestly dude it's up to you..

I think we wont see anything Homebrew related until the end of December.
Thats when CCC is right?
I think they'll show something there.. and release something shortly after?
But thats just me..

Reactions: SLiV3R

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all.

I've had a switch since launch day and I love it. As of late as you all know there has been this "huge" exploit that has been found and your not able to use it when you update to 3.01.

I'm currently on 3.0 and I've been tempted so many times this past couple of days to update just to get access back on the Eshop for updates and demos etc.

We've not really been told what is to come out of all this and also how long it will be, neither do we have any footage that hax exist or at least I've not seen any.

In the coming months there are going to be some big titles hitting the switch (Fire Emblem, Mario Odysee, Pokemon) plus more and these are all going to require updating the console to a new firmware.

So for those who can't really go out and buy a second console. Is this hassle all worth it? Will we get proof soon what we will be able to do? Just what should we do sit back and hold our horses or bit the bullet and lose what could potentially be heaven?
do not update you better keep it like that

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
All I will say is look at the PS4's currently on exploitable firmware and ask yourself if your happy with what they can currently do?

I very much doubt your going to have homebrew this year, even if you do it's going to be a choice between homebrew and playing the latest games or keeping homebrew. I'd love to be wrong but you only need to look at how the Wii U scene started to realise the switch scene is probably not going anywhere fast.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I will say is look at the PS4's currently on exploitable firmware and ask yourself if your happy with what they can currently do?

I very much doubt your going to have homebrew this year, even if you do it's going to be a choice between homebrew and playing the latest games or keeping homebrew. I'd love to be wrong but you only need to look at how the Wii U scene started to realise the switch scene is probably not going anywhere fast.
I think there's more incentive to hack the Switch since it's a hybrid. If this is the only firmware it'll work on and there's no way to downgrade, though, I don't think it'll matter much.

Reactions: whateverg1012

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Go play on another system(s). My Nin10do switches are back in their box while I mess with other stuff (lately I have been enjoying my Enso Vita/flashing NDS carts for NTRboothax and playing on my NEO GEO MVS)

Just depends on what you currently want right now with it. Bite the bullet and update and miss out on heaven or stay as you are.

Emenaria

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'll just buy another Switch if it turns out that Fire Emblem Musou/Mario Odyssey require firmware 3.0.1+ to be played. I want to play them ASAP.
So for those who can't really go out and buy a second console. Is this hassle all worth it?
Well in that case I'd update my console. Pretty sure firmware 3.0.1+ will be eventually hackable too. I doubt it will be another PS3 3.55 situation. I mean look at WiiU

Last edited by Emenaria,

alepman90

Trophies
XP
Country
For people who're interested in 2nd console,i mentioned before sell the accessories on ebay
you'll end up with extra Switch that costs you less than 3DS for me selling the accessories paid nearly for the whole console (scarce stand alone docks and Joycons but that was in June)

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From personal experience, I can say that you should update. Remember, all we found were the basic bugs we need to develop anything, but a lot of the switch is still a giant question mark. And more likely, any good homebrew will be for its latest future version, not 3.0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay