Homebrew Is it possible to port Five Nights at Freddy's to DS?

Haloguy2002

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have made this on paint:
fnaf_ds_1.png

It's a sketch of fnaf 3 for the ds(just a sketch! Not real!).

GalaxianPirate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Entirely possible on the 3DS, it has much more firepower to work with and the wide screen would be more suited for the game.

Why wasn't this thought of first hand, the FNAF series' jumpscares would be amazing in 3D.

BUT!
In the original FNAF, the jumpscares were mixed in with the background, instead of separate images that would be laid on top, so someone will need to edit each frame of the jumpscare to be just the transparent background with Freddie/Bonnie/etc for the 3D part. Not that that's a huge issue, just something I'm pointing out.

I think. I'm not a coding genius, that's just how I think the 3D effect will need to done.

tiduscrying

that butt...
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Ah, well good luck porting anything without the source code from Scott himself. Doing a 1:1 port is something that would need his attention and work, or at least his tools and code. You can attempt to re-make the game, but don't expect it to be a 1:1 remake. The DS is wicked underpowered for something of this scope. And honestly if you want to play it, get it on PC or Android...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ah, well good luck porting anything without the source code from Scott himself. Doing a 1:1 port is something that would need his attention and work, or at least his tools and code. You can attempt to re-make the game, but don't expect it to be a 1:1 remake. The DS is wicked underpowered for something of this scope. And honestly if you want to play it, get it on PC or Android...
Source code aside, even an accurate remake would be difficult. I'm not even sure if libnds' VideoGL layer can create a viewport like the one in FNAF, you'd have to map the environment on a bent quadrilateral "sky box" to get the same scrolling background effect. It's not a rectangular picture, it's more like a wrap-around sphere akin to Google's 3D street view. It's not impossible, it'd just be terribly difficult to implement without substantially dumbing it down.

tiduscrying

that butt...
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Source code aside, even an accurate remake would be difficult. I'm not even sure if libnds' VideoGL layer can create a viewport like the one in FNAF, you'd have to map the environment on a bent quadrilateral "sky box" to get the same scrolling background effect. It's not a rectangular picture, it's more like a wrap-around sphere akin to Google's 3D street view. It's not impossible, it'd just be terribly difficult to implement without substantially dumbing it down.

Exactly. Porting and remaking are incredibly difficult things for most people, and while wishing or asking for a port to be made is dandy, it isn't going to change the fact that it'll be damned near impossible. Sorry guys, it's just a pretty ridiculous goal.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Exactly. Porting and remaking are incredibly difficult things for most people, and while wishing or asking for a port to be made is dandy, it isn't going to change the fact that it'll be damned near impossible. Sorry guys, it's just a pretty ridiculous goal.
I can see it working on the DS if someone with experience picked the project up, but it's not something a beginner can do, not because the game is terribly complex code-wise (which it isn't) but because of platform limitations. The DS gets all worked up and sweaty playing a simple MP3 file or a GIF wheras FNAF uses non-stop animations and wave BGM's all the time because it runs on a stronger platform. Essentially you'd have to turn most sound effects into samples, turn all of the backgrounds either into low colour depth static textures or tiled maps, turn all the sprites into tiled sprites and maybe you could have a decent go at it - it's a lot of work for just a semi-accurate remake with loads of loading or streaming at all times due to low amounts of RAM/VRAM.

ddmred1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh. please do attempt to make fnaf for ds. i love playing fnaf but i don't have a device that is portable except my ds. i got a cell phone but i only use it for calling, and i have a tight budget. it would be nice if it was for ds. having all 3 would be better.

DoJo_Master

Trophies
Website
www.3dsthemes.com
XP
Country
Canada
oh. please do attempt to make fnaf for ds. i love playing fnaf but i don't have a device that is portable except my ds. i got a cell phone but i only use it for calling, and i have a tight budget. it would be nice if it was for ds. having all 3 would be better.

Thats greedy you rather have a team of users work tirelessly on a homebrew just because you dont want to pay for a game... :blink:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)