Hacking Is it necessary to update your system?

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just as a note. Updating to 11.4 will render ctr-httpwn inoperable. This is the method by which we could spoof current versions of firmware while using an older version. While this is not a problem with 11.4 (as it's the most recent) and likely won't be an issue with future updates, there's very few compelling reasons to actually be on any firmware beyond 11.2 (11.3 has a minor issue with a Zelda game). The obsession with upgrading for the sake of upgrading is something that really is mind-boggling in this forum. If there's a feature you need (or something is lost) then upgrade. If not, continue to use what works provided CFW supports it - and earlier firmware versions remain well supported.

Reactions: CaptainSwag101

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Alright, thank you. Also, where can I get the HBL.cia?
By reading the guide and downloading all the files it tells you to.
Edit: didn't see the later posts

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just as a note. Updating to 11.4 will render ctr-httpwn inoperable. This is the method by which we could spoof current versions of firmware while using an older version. While this is not a problem with 11.4 (as it's the most recent) and likely won't be an issue with future updates, there's very few compelling reasons to actually be on any firmware beyond 11.2 (11.3 has a minor issue with a Zelda game). The obsession with upgrading for the sake of upgrading is something that really is mind-boggling in this forum. If there's a feature you need (or something is lost) then upgrade. If not, continue to use what works provided CFW supports it - and earlier firmware versions remain well supported.
There's no reason to stay below 11.4. If later on there becomes a feature you need on 11.3 or less, you can just downgrade easily. It is silly to make your life harder for all that time for no gain.

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no reason to stay below 11.4. If later on there becomes a feature you need on 11.3 or less, you can just downgrade easily. It is silly to make your life harder for all that time for no gain.

You're gaining almost nothing and losing function. Yes, it's easy enough to downgrade - if you've already upgraded, either through direct cia or ideally a restore. But unless you're consistently going online (for games requiring ctr-httpwn) or using e-shop, there's nothing gained from 11.4 - unless you're coming from 11.3 to fix a bug not present in earlier firmwares. I'll say it once and I'll say it again, there's not much purpose in upgrading for the sake of upgrading - unless you're gaining functionality you need. If you can ask yourself that question first, upgrade away if the answer is yes. This goes double if you're using, or plan to use, Gateway functionality. This becomes even more relevant now that we've heard word of 11.5.

Last edited by mrjoshuaco,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
But unless you're consistently going online (for games requiring ctr-httpwn) or using e-shop, there's nothing gained from 11.4
This is exactly what you're gaining. If you weren't planning on playing online, then you get the benefit of not getting update nags. And if you're not planning to play online or use the eShop - why do you care about CTR-httpwn? That's the only thing you lose, and it's only useful for people that use online, ergo, whoever cares about it being lost will be inconvenienced by staying on 11.3.

Staying on 11.3 has inconvenience every single day. Updating to 11.4 has inconvenience maybe once if it turns out some feature from 11.3 is needed (which can only be CTR-httpwn, which in your example the person would not even need if they don't play online). Seems quite obvious to me. And to 99.9% of the 3DS CFW community, who are all on 11.4.

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is exactly what you're gaining. If you weren't planning on playing online, then you get the benefit of not getting update nags. And if you're not planning to play online or use the eShop - why do you care about CTR-httpwn? That's the only thing you lose, and it's only useful for people that use online, ergo, whoever cares about it being lost will be inconvenienced by staying on 11.3.

Staying on 11.3 has inconvenience every single day. Updating to 11.4 has inconvenience maybe once if it turns out some feature from 11.3 is needed (which can only be CTR-httpwn, which in your example the person would not even need if they don't play online). Seems quite obvious to me. And to 99.9% of the 3DS CFW community, who are all on 11.4.

1. I don't get update nags now. DNS solves that problem, and I'd be using it even if I were on 11.4.
2. 99.9% - top keks. There are far more not running on 11.4 than you may realize. Not everyone trihards this shit to the point of keeping banners of their CFW in their signatures.
3. You're asking the wrong question. With the exception of online, what do YOU gain from 11.4 is the better one.
4. If 11.5 is released and breaks CFW, which while unlikely, is possible, I can continue to use CTR-HTTPWN when I need it and I continue as normal with no hassle, and no need to downgrade from 11.4 as a result. I already stated consistent online use as a "feature gained" in answer to the value proposition of 11.4, so if that's your use case, go nuts and upgrade.
5. Every single day? Lulz, not really, chief. CTR isn't really that much of a pain in the ass considering you only need to start the thing from cold boot or firm-launch. I think the last time this has happened to me was about 3 weeks ago - the last time I actually shut off my 3DS. But again, if you turn it off or reboot frequently, or are an O3DS user, once again, there's value proposition in 11.4 - thus, question answered again.

Look, we've clearly got a fundamental disagreement here that's been going on since the first time a guy updated his PC's BIOS without caring what was in the update. Some keep shit updated, and that's fine. Others update as necessary, that's also fine. But to say that updates are "necessary" is disingenuous at best - which is my point here. I think we can agree to disagree and get off our respective soapboxes at this point as the questions were asked and answered.

Last edited by mrjoshuaco,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
1. I don't get update nags now. DNS solves that problem, and I'd be using it even if I were on 11.4.
2. 99.9% - top keks. There are far more not running on 11.4 than you may realize. Not everyone trihards this shit to the point of keeping banners of their CFW in their signatures.
3. You're asking the wrong question. With the exception of online, what do YOU gain from 11.4 is the better one.
4. If 11.5 is released and breaks CFW, which while unlikely, is possible, I can continue to use CTR-HTTPWN when I need it and I continue as normal with no hassle, and no need to downgrade from 11.4 as a result. I already stated consistent online use as a "feature gained" in answer to the value proposition of 11.4, so if that's your use case, go nuts and upgrade.
5. Every single day? Lulz, not really, chief. CTR isn't really that much of a pain in the ass considering you only need to start the thing from cold boot or firm-launch. I think the last time this has happened to me was about 3 weeks ago - the last time I actually shut off my 3DS. But again, if you turn it off or reboot frequently, or are an O3DS user, once again, there's value proposition in 11.4 - thus, question answered again.

Look, we've clearly got a fundamental disagreement here that's been going on since the first time a guy updated his PC's BIOS without caring what was in the update. Some keep shit updated, and that's fine. Others update as necessary, that's also fine. But to say that updates are "necessary" is disingenuous at best - which is my point here. I think we can agree to disagree and get off our respective soapboxes at this point as the questions were asked and answered.
Your position makes no sense - you have the choice of using CTR-httpwn now and forever, or only having to use it when 11.5 comes out. Why would you make more work for yourself? I mean if CTR-httpwn is actually fun to use, fine - but I thought it was a tool not a toy.

1. I don't have to do this, and I can use eShop without hassle. If 11.5 comes out, I'll delete the nags for a few days until Luma is confirmed safe and then update.
3. Online is the only thing that makes the difference. You may as well ask, with the exception of transport, what does owning a car do for you?
4. As above, why do work that you don't have to do? Saying "I might have to do it in the future" isn't a very good argument. I mean, let's say you have no pets. Do you regularly pee and vomit on your carpet and then clean it up, because maybe in the future you'll have a pet and will have to do it anyway?

Last edited by Quantumcat,

CaptainSwag101

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States

After seeing this conversation so far, I'd like to mention; I'd call myself an "update-aholic". (I run Arch Linux, and that gives you the possibility of updating stuff a couple of times PER DAY, and I honestly don't mind it at all), but I have to say though, I agree with mrjoshuaco in regards to this part of their statement. Although I personally would always recommend updating things as long as you don't lose anything (or anything measurable, at least), it's up to each person to decide. But that should definitely be left up to each individual person to decide whether it's a good idea. To be fair, I believe 11.4 also fixed a big slowdown bug that was introduced in 11.3, so that's another good reason to update. And thus, while I fully support Quantumcat's position that the OP should update their system, turning this thread into an argument won't really help. We should just try posting the more objective pros and cons of updating to 11.4, and let the OP make their own decision.

Last edited by CaptainSwag101,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

First of all, Quantumcat knows what she is talking about
So now to breakdown your arguments.
2: That's a grossly inaccurate statement. At this point only a few older homebrews have issues with 11.4, but have also been replaced by newer homebrews.
3: Well they fixed the lag in Oot3DS that was caused with 11.3. The better question is, what do you gain by remaining on an older OFW? Once you system is hacked, you really don't gain anything by remaining on an older OFW. You also don't loose anything by updating.
4: Pfffft! Nintendo is a one trick pony that is going to add a NATIVE_FIRM requirement to 11.5, which will break CFWs (again.) That's how Nintendo rolls, they find something that works and runs it into the ground. Actually there's no promising that CTR-HTTPWN will always work. Nintendo can setup measures against it if they actually tried.
5: Your last argument is really just a you thing.

As for the OP, just follow the guide step by step. Don't skip around and don't update until you've finished the guide. Also do actually update when you've successfully installed everything, there is literally no reason to cling to 11.3 once you've hacked your system. You aren't gaining anything by staying on 11.3

Last edited by The Catboy,

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your position makes no sense - you have the choice of using CTR-httpwn now and forever, or only having to use it when 11.5 comes out. Why would you make more work for yourself? I mean if CTR-httpwn is actually fun to use, fine - but I thought it was a tool not a toy.

1. I don't have to do this, and I can use eShop without hassle
3. Online is the only thing that makes the difference. You may as well ask, with the exception of transport, what does owning a car do for you?
4. As above, why do work that you don't have to do? Saying "I might have to do it in the future" isn't a very good argument. I mean, let's say you have no pets. Do you regularly pee and vomit on your carpet and then clean it up, because maybe in the future you'll have a pet and will have to do it anyway?

1. I ran ctr once, in the past 3 weeks - so can I.
3 (where the fuck is your 2 heh ;P). Non-fucking-sequitur and a REALLY poor analogy. If online is the only thing that makes a difference and is achieved in 11.2 with minimal hassle, then 11.4 offers no value proposition, especially since it permanently rendered ctr non-functional. If this hassle however is major, then again, you have value proposition in 11.4, so upgrade. I think this is the part of my argument you're failing to grasp.
4. I didn't do any work, that's the point. I'm on 11.2. My software works, ctr, ntr and gateway continue to work. Nothing has changed for me with the exceedingly rare exception that I need to run ctr to go online after I've rebooted the system. You've also somehow topped yourself in terms of really awful non-sequitur. I'm only going to assume you're referring to my comment that future updates may break CFW and without access to ctr, I'd have to downgrade again. You'd have a fair point about "potential" issues IF I were losing something in the upgrade to 11.4 that I wasn't already getting with almost no effort or change to my usage. 11.4 doesn't offer that for me - at all. It may offer it for you - if so, fantastic. But again, that goes back to my initial question: "What are YOU gaining from 11.4 that warrants an upgrade?".

I swear, this shit is like little sewing circle and CFW is a religion and this forum the church. It's just a video game console operating system.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
1. I ran ctr once, in the past 3 weeks - so can I.
3 (where the fuck is your 2 heh ;P). Non-fucking-sequitur and a REALLY poor analogy. If online is the only thing that makes a difference and is achieved in 11.2 with minimal hassle, then 11.4 offers no value proposition, especially since it permanently rendered ctr non-functional. If this hassle however is major, then again, you have value proposition in 11.4, so upgrade. I think this is the part of my argument you're failing to grasp.
4. I didn't do any work, that's the point. I'm on 11.2. My software works, ctr, ntr and gateway continue to work. Nothing has changed for me with the exceedingly rare exception that I need to run ctr to go online after I've rebooted the system. You've also somehow topped yourself in terms of really awful non-sequitur. I'm only going to assume you're referring to my comment that future updates may break CFW and without access to ctr, I'd have to downgrade again. You'd have a fair point about "potential" issues IF I were losing something in the upgrade to 11.4 that I wasn't already getting with almost no effort or change to my usage. 11.4 doesn't offer that for me - at all. It may offer it for you - if so, fantastic. But again, that goes back to my initial question: "What are YOU gaining from 11.4 that warrants an upgrade?".

I swear, this shit is like little sewing circle and CFW is a religion and this forum the church. It's just a video game console operating system.
So, to summarise:
1. You have to use TubeHax DNS and I don't
2. You can't turn off your system and I can
3. If you do turn off your system you have to run CTR-httpwn again and I don't
4. You have to worry about accidentally updating in Gateway mode and bricking your system and I don't

I guess you like punishment. If that's your thing, then go for it. Not like you're not informed as to your options :-p

The "value proposition" is that I don't have to worry about all those things, but you do.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, Quantumcat knows what she is talking about
So now to breakdown your arguments.
2: That's a grossly inaccurate statement. At this point only a few older homebrews have issues with 11.4, but have also been replaced by newer homebrews.
3: Well they fixed the lag in Oot3DS that was caused with 11.3. The better question is, what do you gain by remaining on an older OFW? Once you system is hacked, you really don't gain anything by remaining on an older OFW. You also don't loose anything by updating.
4: Pfffft! Nintendo is a one trick pony that is going to add a NATIVE_FIRM requirement to 11.5, which will break CFWs (again.) That's how Nintendo rolls, they find something that works and runs it into the ground. Actually there's no promising that CTR-HTTPWN will always work. Nintendo can setup measures against it if they actually to.
5: Your last argument is bunk.

2. I never stated any homebrew was broken with 11.4. I said it CFW could be broken down the road - ie: 11.5 and above.
3. I don't know how often I have to repeat this. I gain continued use of everything I have now. I gain nothing from 11.4 that I don't already have.
4. Heh, that's fair to say. And if they DO break ctr in a later update (less likely than 11.5 breaking CFW in my view) then the value proposition changes, and almost assuredly my likelihood to upgrade along with it.
5. My 3DS is literally sitting on the cradle right now, still powered. I can open it, and go online without issue without rerunning CTR.

CaptainSwag101

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
@mrjoshuaco and @Quantumcat , we seem to be turning a user's simple question of "should I update? yes/no?" into a huge argument, and there's really no need. Let's just leave the OP with our personal pros/cons for updating and not updating, and let them decide without pressuring them or attacking other people's opinions in a thread that isn't meant for it.

@Rayqu , I would personally recommend making a NAND backup of your current system version, saving it in a safe place, and then updating. Then if you find that for any reason, a game, software, or CFW isn't working, try downgrading and see if it fixes the issue. If so, then that's fine, and feel free to stay on an older system version. But, I'd recommend trying out all your options so you have a good idea of what works best for you.

hurrz

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The thing is, you both are (more or less) right, haha. I am also more on Quantumcat's site. Thanks for letting me know my posts and replies are right! :-)

This thread should be closed. :-b

Please let me sleep, I cannot stop reading your replies. Still interesting though! But to be honest, stop fighting and just meet IRL to friendly shake hands. :-D

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, to summarise:
4. You have to worry about accidentally updating in Gateway mode and bricking your system and I don't

I guess you like punishment. If that's your thing, then go for it. Not like you're not informed as to your options :-p

The "value proposition" is that I don't have to worry about all those things, but you do.

1. I'd be using Tubehax ANYWAY. If I were on 11.4, and needed 11.5 once released (once again, the question "What do I gain from 11.5? becomes relevant"), I'd turn it off, upgrade it and put it right back again.
2. I don't NEED to turn it off. There's literally no reason to. If I need to turn it off, I just re-run CTR.
3. Fair, but not worth upgrading and losing ctr later when/if I may need it in the future.
4. For the rare occasion I run Gateway mode if I want to search for cheats, sure - but then again, I held off on updates before for reasons just like this. This only reinforces my stance rather than weakens it. There were some surprised mother fuckers that updated quickly and ran Gateway mode. But that has more to do with Gateway than 11.2. You'll get no arguments from me about how shit their releases have been.

My value proposition is that while you cats are running around like hens when 11.5 drops, ESPECIALLY when the newbies inevitably upgrade, I'll keep on trucking as if nothing happened like I have with every other upgrade. In the rare case that CTR breaks with a future update, then I'm in the same boat with the rest - but only then. Look, this is far less directed at folks like us who understand the risks, and more for those who don't (or don't really care for early adopting). The question "Is it NECESSARY to update?" is more nuanced than we're making it, but you guys do you.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The thing is, you both are (more or less) right, haha. I am also more on Quantumcat's site. Thanks for letting me know my posts and replies are right! :-)

This thread should be closed. :-b

Please let me sleep, I cannot stop reading your replies. Still interesting though! But to be honest, stop fighting and just meet IRL to friendly shake hands. :-D

Fair to say, I'll end it here. You have more than enough perspectives to answer any questions! If anything, you're more informed now than you were before. Besides, it's a video game system, not a religion. You do you!

Reactions: hurrz

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
2. I never stated any homebrew was broken with 11.4. I said it CFW could be broken down the road - ie: 11.5 and above.
3. I don't know how often I have to repeat this. I gain continued use of everything I have now. I gain nothing from 11.4 that I don't already have.
4. Heh, that's fair to say. And if they DO break ctr in a later update (less likely than 11.5 breaking CFW in my view) then the value proposition changes, and almost assuredly my likelihood to upgrade along with it.
5. My 3DS is literally sitting on the cradle right now, still powered. I can open it, and go online without issue without rerunning CTR.
2: Then your statement wasn't very clear because it looks like you did.
3: Actually you again online access without having any issues. 11.4 also corrects the slowdown issues caused by 11.3. You actually don't loose anything other than being able to use CTR-httpwn . Which is honestly an outdated method, considering how quickly CFW patch anything Nintendo breaks.
4: With both 11.3 and 11.4, the NATIVE_FIRM requirement is what caused the biggest issue and was quickly fixed. There was of course the unexpected breaking of reboot patches (not actually something Nintendo directly targeted, might I add.) Which was again, easily fixed. Just because previous updates, it wasn't long before devs fixed the problem. Which only meant going a brief period of wait time, which should honestly be encouraged for used to wait for an all clear before updating.
5:
So, to summarise:

Last edited by The Catboy,

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2: Then your statement wasn't very clear because it looks like you did.
3: Actually you again online access without having any issues. 11.4 also corrects the slowdown issues caused by 11.3. You actually don't loose anything other than being able to use CTR-httpwn . Which is honestly an outdated method, considering how quickly CFW patch anything Nintendo breaks.
4: Actually 11.5 may not break CFW. With both 11.3 and 11.5, the NATIVE_FIRM requirement is what caused the biggest issue and was quickly fixed. There was of course the unexpected breaking of reboot patches (not actually something Nintendo directly targeted, might I add.) Which was again, easily fixed. Just because previous updates, it wasn't long before devs fixed the problem. Which only meant going a brief period of wait time, which should honestly be encouraged for used to wait for an all clear before updating.
5:

To be fair, I originally stated there was no point to be beyond 11.2 - especially since 11.3 broke Zelda. This is yet another reason I avoid updating. Just to clarify things some.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
To be fair, I originally stated there was no point to be beyond 11.2 - especially since 11.3 broke Zelda. This is yet another reason I avoid updating. Just to clarify things some.
You also stated that you are using Gateway. So it seems you really enjoy being out of date and with poor security.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @Psionic Roshambo sorry but im not that used to listening to non game music +1