Is it me? Or are kids just not too bright?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
She should start using tempered glass screen protectors.

Anyway my cousin has an iPhone with the latest iOS and it's hard to do anything without a PC. It's impossible to install apps from third-party sources (and if you use a PC you can only keep the app for a week, then you have to reinstall it), some Telegram bots are disabled on iOS due to "copyright infringement", some apps don't even parse their own links correctly (e.g. opening a Google Photo link from Telegram opens the browser instead of the app, and tapping "Open in app" always opens the App Store, while on Android it just opens the album in the app), and of course, storing files is practically impossible (even downloading files).

Why pay more for less?

P.S.: iPhones slow down significantly over time, due to iOS updates (which can't be reverted) and the battery degradation being compensated.
As I have said before android let's you do whatever you want to do. IOS let's you do whatever apple wants you to do lol.

Reactions: nastys

romanaOne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Phones are all trash because there is no easy way to replace the Samsung/Apple/Huawei firmware with open source. You probably even "agree to" an EULA forbidding any sort of jailbreak or the phone won't work. (I say "Agree to" because forcing someone to agree to an incomprehensible legal blob in order to use something they bought isn't a contract but coercion.)

Enjoy your panopticon, it's the choice of a new generation.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Android phones are generally better but they tend to slow down over time. And there's just loads of satisfaction in jailbreaking an iOS device.
Most iOS apps let you go back to the previous screen by swiping from the left side of the screen. Despite the fact I prefer Android I still have an iPhone, because my parents got me one.

Your daughter probably refused because she's afraid she'll get picked on on school for not having the latest iphone. It actually happened to my younger sister. She had a cheap clamshell phone (despite it being 2016), then my Mum's old iPhone 3Gs, and then an iPhone 6s. Her school is full of rich bitches who find every excuse to pick on people unless they're the kind that like to throw away money. Think about that before calling your daughter a "cowbag" and putting "Are kids just not too bright" in the thread title.
A Note 8 costs way more than an iPhone 6 though. Doesn't really make sense.

Reactions: Something whatever

SecureBoot

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being a kid. I can say trends are strong. Being fairly tech savvy, I switched to an Android about 2 years ago but my fellow peers tend to scoff at Android. It's really comfort and misinformation. Android confuses them. They don't understand that Android is an OS while there are different manufacturers that run Android. They also have come to the conclusion that all Android phones are inferior, especially in the camera depeartment. Also heaven forbid someone makes their texts messages "green bubbles"

It's not even just kids. It's also adults. My parents love their comfortable phones that they're used to and give me grief for owning an Android. I guess it's just the influence Apple has on the whole market.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I`ve just upgraded to a Samsung Note 9. Pointless upgrade really.

Offered 17 yo daughter my Note 8... Immaculate. Still in the box etc... To replace her smashed iphone 6. (not an S). She turned it down. She doesn`t want a "droid" as the young ones call it.

lB5wmMp.png

Is it me?

Nobody's perfect. Everyone are different. SMH. Deal with it. If she don't want it then that's her choice. Nothing's wrong with that. Not everyone are the same.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Exactly this. You have just described my nephew to a tee. He upgraded his PS4 from a v4 FW to the latest. Again... Fortnight.

I could understand it, but there are THREE ps4s in his house. He has one, front room has one, sister-in-laws man has one in his man-cave. But they update them. Just can`t educate some people...

I could see it. I generally find the PS4 and Xbone game libraries so lacklustre (a mightily disappointing thing given how amazing the 360 and later PS3 was) that they could be reduced to a one game device for people with fairly common preferences. Would not be the game in question if it were me but I could see it done.

Edit. As for the thing with the phone that started it off. Would absolutely not be me (though I don't have a phone because it does costs more than the benefit it gives me) but there are those that don't embrace change, won't seek the best tech, will limit themselves in potential for short term game, will observe fashion and still have something that just about works for them. They usually then pay me very good money to solve their problems.

Last edited by FAST6191,

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being a kid. I can say trends are strong. Being fairly tech savvy, I switched to an Android about 2 years ago but my fellow peers tend to scoff at Android. It's really comfort and misinformation. Android confuses them. They don't understand that Android is an OS while there are different manufacturers that run Android. They also have come to the conclusion that all Android phones are inferior, especially in the camera depeartment. Also heaven forbid someone makes their texts messages "green bubbles"

It's not even just kids. It's also adults. My parents love their comfortable phones that they're used to and give me grief for owning an Android. I guess it's just the influence Apple has on the whole market.
I always laughed at those people in school xD "Apple has this! I bet android doesnt!" Uhhhh I've had that for 4 years? "Apple has..." I have it? I always called IOS the OS for simple minded people, but only to the people that would try to trash on my android phone lol

There are a lot of smart people using IOS! Just not the majority....
I've gotten quite a few people off of IOS and they hated it at first but ended up loving it once they figured everything out.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I`ve just upgraded to a Samsung Note 9. Pointless upgrade really.

Offered 17 yo daughter my Note 8... Immaculate. Still in the box etc... To replace her smashed iphone 6. (not an S). She turned it down. She doesn`t want a "droid" as the young ones call it.

lB5wmMp.png

Is it me?
Just... backup all of the data on the iphone and transfer it to the Note 8... and swap it randomly.. When she asks just act like you know nothing :3

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get it. iOS is simple and "just works." QC is typically pretty good on iPhones. If an iPhone fails, it typically just takes going to an authorized repair agent, a few hundred dollars and a couple of hours, and you have a like-new phone. On the other hand, due to the open nature of Android OS, QC can leave a bit to be desired, to the point where if a phone fails, it fails consistently and catastrophically. Take my Dad's Moto Z2 Force: he got it on my recommendation after moving from an iPhone 5s, and absolutely hates it because every five minutes or so the touchscreen becomes unresponsive. He's already sent it back, and this is the second unit with the exact same issue. That one bad experience has ensured that he'll never own a Lenovo Android-based phone again.

Now, he's also not very tech-savvy. However, that's kind of the point; iPhones cater to people who don't WANT to be able to access every aspect of their phone, they just want something reliable that runs the apps they want and gets them through the day

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My 17 year old niece recently dropped her iPhone down the bog and she gratefully accepted my old Nexus 5X as a temporary replacement. Maybe it's more about upbringing than youth.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 17 year old niece recently dropped her iPhone down the bog and she gratefully accepted my old Nexus 5X as a temporary replacement. Maybe it's more about upbringing than youth.
Note to self. Tell kids to make fun of apple phones from day 1 and to only love android phones

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i bet you're making so much use of your non-locked down platform... for more than 99.9% of the users, it literally makes no difference. most just use what the playstore offers them and thats that too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: No prob and btw, welcome to gbatemp! :grog: