Is it me? Or are kids just not too bright?

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah. Right.
Just like I offer a modded PS4 with all games, modded 3DS, Wii U, Switch, SNES Mini and PS2 with the only downfall being no online play... But instead they would rather keep their OFW PS4 with the only game they own: Fortnite.

Exactly this. You have just described my nephew to a tee. He upgraded his PS4 from a v4 FW to the latest. Again... Fortnight.

I could understand it, but there are THREE ps4s in his house. He has one, front room has one, sister-in-laws man has one in his man-cave. But they update them. Just can`t educate some people...

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Complaining I do. And communication issues? Too bloody right! To be honest, I`m glad I do. I`d throttle the little sod otherwise. I was shown her institsgram the other day. I needed a lie down and I was questioning my abilities as a father the whole evening...

I just think the less I know about these things, the better. I don`t even have a Facebook account. Actually, tell a lie, I did make one. But I had no friends on it and now I can`t even remember the passwords to log in to it...

Well, I'd say try to put yourself in her shoes, and try to understand why she does whatever she does. Try to think yourself of how you'd act with her age in her current surroundings. Mind that usually girls are subject to much more peer pressure than boys and live in a much more competitive environmet. Should give you a startup ground at least. Then how would you react to adult inputs. Try to pan your own from there.

Reactions: bennyman123abc

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ehh, apple's a cult nowadays. You can show the flaws of any iPhone or iPad cough cough bendgate cough and nobody will care. Apple removes the headphone jack? People get mad for a week, then buy the next iPhone anyway. It's insane how much people rag on android when most people with androids have more features than an iPhone at this point. Kids don't get it though, they just want whatever's cool.

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly this. You have just described my nephew to a tee. He upgraded his PS4 from a v4 FW to the latest. Again... Fortnight.

I could understand it, but there are THREE ps4s in his house. He has one, front room has one, sister-in-laws man has one in his man-cave. But they update them. Just can`t educate some people...

It's not about education. People KNOW (Or so it seems...) but they see it differently. How can someone see an OFW PS4 only for Fortnite a better investment than a CFW with PKG support PS4 is beyond me but they see these things that we don't see (And thankfully, we don't want to see them.) and they TRULY FEEL their decisions are best. And can't knock peoples' decisions. Hey. Some people have good reasons but that is not the majority.

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I cared. I cared big time! :sad:
You have sense.

Shame sense isn`t "catching" or "infectious".

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's not about education. People KNOW (Or so it seems...) but they see it differently. How can someone see an OFW PS4 only for Fortnite a better investment than a CFW with PKG support PS4 is beyond me but they see these things that we don't see (And thankfully, we don't want to see them.) and they TRULY FEEL their decisions are best. And can't knock peoples' decisions. Hey. Some people have good reasons but that is not the majority.
It looks like they just don`t move in the same circles as we do...

Reactions: SonyUSA

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'd say try to put yourself in her shoes, and try to understand why she does whatever she does. Try to think yourself of how you'd act with her age in her current surroundings. Mind that usually girls are subject to much more peer pressure than boys and live in a much more competitive environmet. Should give you a startup ground at least. Then how would you react to adult inputs. Try to pan your own from there.

This is all subject to the person. Everyone is different. Maybe the poster dude WAS her age once upon a time and DID act her way and "Grew up"... Or maybe he had the same thoughts then as he does now. We know they have their reasons but we also know that everyone is different and see things differently.
Sometimes people don't see the big picture of things and cannot comprehend it in the ways those around that person would expect them to. Is it incompetent? Yes. It is to those who do not feel the same. Will they ever outgrow the way they think? People usually don't but there's no educating people. People already know these things. They already know the answers and they made their decisions based on their questions and how they feel about it.
It has nothing to do with whether Apple is popular or a cult or whatever. Has nothing to do with apple individually. It has to do with the individual. Some people buy iPhone because they need a phone. Some people buy iPhones because they like the shape. Some people buy iPhones for their Youtube electronic destroying videos. Some people because they are just getting what those around them got and some people because it's their... Preeeecioussss...

Either way it is different for everyone and I do agree many of the people are that I've seen don't actually LIKE what they do but just do it because if it wasn't for others doing it with them, it would be pointless in their eyes. A good example is Fortnite. A lot of people play that game. Even people who never really even PLAYED a game before. But this is not 100% CERTAIN way to tell since, again, everyone is different, but a reliable way to tell is to see if that is their ONLY game. If it is then MOST LIKELY they don't play games. Else they would have some to play. They only play Fortnite because of everyone else and if it wasn't for everyone else it would be useless to play. (Along with every other game is why they don't own it.) Another way is to see what kinds of things they like. Are nay of those things unique or just very trendy?
Again, these arne't CERTAIN ways to tell, it requires far more effort and statistics in the individual to come to a conclusion but usually it is a quick easy first glance find in someone. And if it's in their video game life (Fortnite decisions and way of thinking) then it's in their entire life and it's just how they think on everything.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Apart from themes I couldn't see a 17 year old girl caring about any of that
I cared. I cared big time! :sad:
I cared too! The MicroSD thing always hurt me especially. Mega jealous of the Android users of that :P

My family is huge on Apple, so I've ended up with three iPhones at different points through my family. If I had to pay, I don't think I'd have ended up with what I have. At the end of the day, though, I'm not a huge power user on my phone. I just want it to look nice and do web browsing fairly fast. Most people just like using what they're familiar with, what brings the most positive benefits, or what validates them socially.

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cared too! The MicroSD thing always hurt me especially. Mega jealous of the Android users of that :P

My family is huge on Apple, so I've ended up with three iPhones at different points through my family. If I had to pay, I don't think I'd have ended up with what I have. At the end of the day, though, I'm not a huge power user on my phone. I just want it to look nice and do web browsing fairly fast. Most people just like using what they're familiar with, what brings the most positive benefits, or what validates them socially.

This is similar to the lack of options. You may have your own reasons and I don't need an iPhone but, in your shoes, if I was given one for free than I would take it and use it/sell it. Why not? But that's just because it's there.. Free at that. XD
Usually people just want to search and browse the internet with haste without putting in custom DNS, proxy settings, etc. If they don't need these things then yes. It will certainly be more time used than was necessary. But usually companies would completely remove the option to have these things., specifically on phones, because companies know what the consumer wants. If something is wrong they just update it. Companies would know no one wants a shell of a phone and have to install their own operating system. In the long run for more specific people, the lack of this option is a HUGE DOWNFALL. But for the majority of people on phone and the majority of people on bla zeh bla feel like "Why would I do this? I just want to turn it on and go on internet browser...." and although needing to install your own operating system is slightly more work, it is certainly more SUPERIOR to not having the option at all. again, many people don't see it that way and would just buy a whole new phone if the operating system crashed.
None of these options make peoples' status higher socially and these days if it isn't socially then it isn't worth it for MOST things. Not the best way of thinking in my eyes but... I guess whoever's happy. LOL

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your kid is lucky to have a parent like you getting them those expensive stuff.
The problem being is the kid is not learning the value of anything. This has been proven at least 7 times already. Oh I broke my screen dad will fix it. Like I said before if a kid breaks something more than twice they should be forced to live with it until they learn to take better care of things.

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem being is the kid is not learning the value of anything. This has been proven at least 7 times already. Oh I broke my screen dad will fix it. Like I said before if a kid breaks something more than twice they should be forced to live with it until they learn to take better care of things.

I disagree on your thoughts.
Yes it's true that people start to not see the value of things when it is simply replaced or given to them with very little effort. However I feel that if you break something or are clumsy or was testing something or needed to for whatever reason... The problem is not that they need to see the value in getting it back. The problem is they need to take life into their own hands and get it back themselves. LOL So in the future when they break it they know they can get it back OUTSIDE Of someone just giving it to them freely.

But whos' to say. Maybe "Asking dad is hard work and now the person deserves the new iPhone because they worked reeeaall hard by asking dad, or by generating allowance from things they should do without anymore incentive than the fact it is done"... XD

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I disagree on your thoughts.
Yes it's true that people start to not see the value of things when it is simply replaced or given to them with very little effort. However I feel that if you break something or are clumsy or was testing something or needed to for whatever reason... The problem is not that they need to see the value in getting it back. The problem is they need to take life into their own hands and get it back themselves. LOL So in the future when they break it they know they can get it back OUTSIDE Of someone just giving it to them freely.

But whos' to say. Maybe "Asking dad is hard work and now the person deserves the new iPhone because they worked reeeaall hard by asking dad, or by generating allowance from things they should do without anymore incentive than the fact it is done"... XD
The point is if the kid is made to pay for the new screen themselves they will learn to take better care of the phone and not just have the mentality of I don't give a fuck if I break it because I know dad will just go ahead and pay for it to be fixed. Sorry but breaking a phone screen and having it repaired 7 times in one year is taking the piss. It also shows she has zero respect for her own property and does not understand the value of money.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It may seem weird to the more tech-savvy, but in a lot of circles, Apple products are seen as status symbols. Probably because they're so goddamn expensive; a cheap one is at least a month of my pay, and that's for a second-hand one that's so old Apple's going to "decommission" it soon. Personally, I prefer Android devices, but to each their own.

The point is if the kid is made to pay for the new screen themselves they will learn to take better care of the phone and not just have the mentality of I don't give a fuck if I break it because I know dad will just go ahead and pay for it to be fixed. Sorry but breaking a phone screen and having it repaired 7 times in one year is taking the piss. It also shows she has zero respect for her own property and does not understand the value of money.
Agreed.

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah I see your point. If they are FORCED to pay for it themselves they will (Should) automatically get the idea that they need to be more respectful toward it but what I'm saying is if they were FORCED to... They STILL don't NEED to be more respectful toward it. XD
The problem is NOT caring whether it's broken or not. LOL Jedi's aren't supposed to have attachments.
The problem is that they rely on others to handle their life... In their life if they want to break things, let them... As long as it is THEIR business, not their parents'.

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Lets see... I`ve replaced that screen on that thing 7 f**king times this year! 7. I can`t quite believe it but she has had 7 screens on that thing.
She should start using tempered glass screen protectors.

Anyway my cousin has an iPhone with the latest iOS and it's hard to do anything without a PC. It's impossible to install apps from third-party sources (and if you use a PC you can only keep the app for a week, then you have to reinstall it), some Telegram bots are disabled on iOS due to "copyright infringement", some apps don't even parse their own links correctly (e.g. opening a Google Photo link from Telegram opens the browser instead of the app, and tapping "Open in app" always opens the App Store, while on Android it just opens the album in the app), and of course, storing files is practically impossible (even downloading files).

Why pay more for less?

P.S.: iPhones slow down significantly over time, due to iOS updates (which can't be reverted) and the battery degradation being compensated.

Last edited by nastys,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: These videos are soooo dry