Hacking Is CFW worth the risk?

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are we supposed to delete everything from the sd card when we start this guide? I have 3 folders in my sd card right now
DCIM
Nintendo 3DS
Private

should i delete that or just leave it there?

Seiddi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are we supposed to delete everything from the sd card when we start this guide? I have 3 folders in my sd card right now
DCIM
Nintendo 3DS
Private

No, you don't delete the folders. Just read the guide word for word. It literally tells you everything you need to know/do.

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
DCIM
Nintendo 3DS
Private

DCIM is your photos, Nintendo 3DS is your installed games/saves etc. Private I believe is a cache of sorts [thumbnails etc.]

No need to remove any of those folders - but no harm if there's nothing there you want to keep

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DCIM is your photos, Nintendo 3DS is your installed games/saves etc. Private I believe is a cache of sorts [thumbnails etc.]

No need to remove any of those folders - but no harm if there's nothing there you want to keep
in the crt transfer step you only get prompted to do a backup then or do u do a backup before you get to that step?

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
in the crt transfer step you only get prompted to do a backup then or do u do a backup before you get to that step?
After the nand backup - I'd backup all the sd contents. The guide should havev you covered on this anyway

To explain the Nintendo 3DS folder a little more, it's contents are encrypted against a file in the nand, so without a nand backup to restore you will lose access to the games and saves that are in this folder

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After the nand backup - I'd backup all the sd contents. The guide should havev you covered on this anyway

To explain the Nintendo 3DS folder a little more, it's contents are encrypted against a file in the nand, so without a nand backup to restore you will lose access to the games and saves that are in this folder
i was asking cuz the guide says that you choose auto transfer and then u get prompted to do a backup. i was wondering if you can do a backup before you choose to do the transfer

george1391

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i was asking cuz the guide says that you choose auto transfer and then u get prompted to do a backup. i was wondering if you can do a backup before you choose to do the transfer
The guide states that if you don't already have a backup of your NAND you can do before you inject 2.1.0.

If you already have one you can skip the step.

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
That backup would be of the nand [3ds system] it makes a ~1gb file on the sdcard containing your current FW

Edit. Yea There should an option there in decrypt9 to create a nand backup. Should be straight forward to follow. Just not sure of the menu options atm. but you'd be looking for Sysnand Options I guess

Last edited by HyperT,
Reactions: comput3rus3r

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Just two days ago a friend of mine did it alone. He didn't know much about homebrew, and he didn't really need my assistance.
It took him 3 or 4 hours with all the reading and torrenting included. At this point, the guide has gotten so ridiculously easy and risk-free that anyone can follow, as long as they're just a tiny bit careful.

Last edited by yoshinatsu,
Reactions: comput3rus3r

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I don't think it's worth it. Every day you'll see people with issues. If you want to spend the rest of your time troubleshooting your 3ds then hack it. Even if initial installation doesn't brick your 3ds, something will happen and it will stop working and people here will tell you to buy a new motherboard. Lol

Oh it's you again. And here I thought we might've actually convinced you to install CFW considering we all assure you that the chance of bricking is comparable to winning the Powerball jackpot if you follow the fucking guide. If you're scared of hacking your 3DS even then, so be it, but stop scaring other users in every goddamn thread about the dangers of hacking when in reality the only danger of hacking is within the user itself - If they can't read, they will brick. I guarantee you every thread you can find on the forum from since 11.2 exploit came out that complains about a brick is an user-end error caused by not reading, following video guides, not having right files, corrupted SD cards and so on.

The latter part of your sentence is just idiotic to say the least. Nothing's gonna go wrong after the initial installation. The only chance for "something to go wrong" is again - user-end errors .. And as long as you have the backup you can restore the system.

At this point I must believe that you're either really stupid, or a troll.

Last edited by Distrance,
Reactions: Xiphiidae

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
if they can't read, they will brick
Actually, so many of the tools have safety checks built in, plus the thing that the user does wrong might not be a costly mistake, and instead just require some troubleshooting, so I'd say if a user can't read, they might have a one in fifty chance of bricking :P

Reactions: Xiphiidae

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh it's you again. And here I thought we might've actually convinced you to install CFW considering we all assure you that the chance of bricking is comparable to winning the Powerball jackpot if you follow the fucking guide. If you're scared of hacking your 3DS even then, so be it, but stop scaring other users in every goddamn thread about the dangers of hacking when in reality the only danger of hacking is within the user itself - If they can't read, they will brick. I guarantee you every thread you can find on the forum from since 11.2 exploit came out that complains about a brick is an user-end error caused by not reading, following video guides, not having right files, corrupted SD cards and so on.

The latter part of your sentence is just idiotic to say the least. Nothing's gonna go wrong after the initial installation. The only chance for "something to go wrong" is again - user-end errors .. And as long as you have the backup you can restore the system.

At this point I must believe that you're either really stupid, or a troll.
I just got up and running :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

now i have to figure how to convert my .3ds files to .cia
also was wondering if trimmed .3ds files were okay to convert to cia.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

now i have to figure how to convert my .3ds files to .cia
also was wondering if trimmed .3ds files were okay to convert to cia.
You can use Decrypt9, but most people would agree it's easier to use freeShop. And faster too, except maybe with super huge roms (depending how fast the conversion is, it would have to be a lot faster than the download considering you still need to install it as well).

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Actually, so many of the tools have safety checks built in, plus the thing that the user does wrong might not be a costly mistake, and instead just require some troubleshooting, so I'd say if a user can't read, they might have a one in fifty chance of bricking :P

I dunno man, most of the recent problems i've read about (esp on youtube .. idk why I even bother reading there though I think my brain cells are dying) are in fact caused by people thinking it's okay to just skip ahead in the guide and do whatever. Like the most recent thread I posted, believe it or not - That person actually followed the 3DS Guide from the beginning yet clearly didn't read it well seeing as they figured accessing OOTHax while on 2.1 is a good idea (which required a cart update..).

It really depends what you're mistake is though .. I mean if you can't read that putting a N3DS to sleep mode is not a good idea then you didn't read - and you deserved to get bricked. And there's plenty of people that have met this fate :rolleyes:

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno man, most of the recent problems i've read about (esp on youtube .. idk why I even bother reading there though I think my brain cells are dying) are in fact caused by people thinking it's okay to just skip ahead in the guide and do whatever. Like the most recent thread I posted, believe it or not - That person actually followed the 3DS Guide from the beginning yet clearly didn't read it well seeing as they figured accessing OOTHax while on 2.1 is a good idea (which required a cart update..).

It really depends what you're mistake is though .. I mean if you can't read that putting a N3DS to sleep mode is not a good idea then you didn't read - and you deserved to get bricked. And there's plenty of people that have met this fate :rolleyes:
that's unfair as the noob can always say "but what if my n3ds falls off the table and closes . . . "

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
that's unfair as the noob can always say "but what if my n3ds falls off the table and closes . . . "

How is it unfair? The guide explicitly says to not do it. The guide explicitly says to follow it. If you don't do what the guide tells you to do, you DO deserve to get bricked.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is it unfair? The guide explicitly says to not do it. The guide explicitly says to follow it. If you don't do what the guide tells you to do, you DO deserve to get bricked.
i am saying there are legit ways that your system can end up closed without your direct conscious decision to do so

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
As long as you're not a dumbass who doesn't make or keep NANDmin.bin, update from 2.1, or sleep the N3DS on 2.1, then there's no risk. You just need basic reading skills, and internet access.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la