Hacking Is A9LH likely to get easier?

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not quite true. Ensuring the keys are valid doesn't make a difference when we can control arm9: when we install a9lh, we just install the earlier arm9loader that doesn't do so: it's still signed and it'll still run.
Also, about OTPless a9lh, you were ninja'd by 4 pages; I went into this in much more detail on the first page.

Last edited by Swiftloke,

Myria

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not quite true. Ensuring the keys are valid doesn't make a difference when we can control arm9: when we install a9lh, we just install the earlier arm9loader that doesn't do so: it's still signed and it'll still run.
Also, about OTPless a9lh, you were ninja'd by 4 pages; I went into this in much more detail on the first page.
What I meant was that Nintendo could block the possibility of OTP-less A9LH by modifying arm9loader to verify the key before booting. Such firmwares would not be useful for A9LH, leaving us stuck forever with the old ones and thus the requirement for OTP.

Of course, even with an OTP-less A9LH, this'd only work on New 3DS, and still require downgrading to 9.2.0 so that we could write to firm0/firm1.

Reactions: astronautlevel

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I meant was that Nintendo could block the possibility of OTP-less A9LH by modifying arm9loader to verify the key before booting. Such firmwares would not be useful for A9LH, leaving us stuck forever with the old ones and thus the requirement for OTP.

Of course, even with an OTP-less A9LH, this'd only work on New 3DS, and still require downgrading to 9.2.0 so that we could write to firm0/firm1.
Wtf are you on about? We just install an older arm9loader. New FIRMs would be interchangeable with it: even if the new FIRM, which against all odds lead to an exploitable jump, checked for the new arm9loader, it wouldn't matter because firm0 isn't read because of our payload, and firm1 is decrypted to not-garbage, meaning that the new FIRM code wouldn't be used at all, thus there would be no chance to check for the new arm9loader.

Last edited by Swiftloke,

0bvious

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I still haven't installed A9LH. Partly because it doesn't seem worth the hassle to save me a few seconds, but also partly because I am waiting to see what the Gateway Beta ends up like.

There are guides out there to get A9LH and Gateway working together, but I am assuming that Gateway's final method will be more compatiable, perhaps a little easier to run.

What do people think (please, don't go on a big Gateway attack. Yes, they are using someone elses work yadda yadda. Just give it to me straight)

fikatr

Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
I still haven't installed A9LH. Partly because it doesn't seem worth the hassle to save me a few seconds, but also partly because I am waiting to see what the Gateway Beta ends up like.

There are guides out there to get A9LH and Gateway working together, but I am assuming that Gateway's final method will be more compatiable, perhaps a little easier to run.

What do people think (please, don't go on a big Gateway attack. Yes, they are using someone elses work yadda yadda. Just give it to me straight)
if you want a brick wait for gatewait for stole something again and make it shittier

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I am assuming that Gateway's final method will be more compatiable, perhaps a little easier to run.
More compatible? don't count on it. If their goal was compatibility, they would have given us an arm9loaderhax.bin file a lot sooner intead of working on their own a9lh implementation (so that all their previous customers who installed a9lh using Plailect's guide would be able to use their Gateway). But instead of that, they spent months in silence working on their own a9lh, to only then give us an arm9loaderhax.bin file, so that people who get news from shady sites (such as theirs) feel like Gateway's Fastboot came before the community a9lh. So they're not going to put that to the bin and be more compatible anytime soon™.

Easier to run? maybe. But next year or the following one. And I don't feel like it's coherent to use their a9lh implementation. Hacks are supposed to open your console to whatever you want to do. Not open it to whatever a company wants you to do and nothing else. So if you hack, hack the right way.

Reactions: gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
More compatible? don't count on it. If their goal was compatibility, they would have given us an arm9loaderhax.bin file a lot sooner intead of working on their own a9lh implementation (so that all their previous customers who installed a9lh using Plailect's guide would be able to use their Gateway). But instead of that, they spent months in silence working on their own a9lh, to only then give us an arm9loaderhax.bin file, so that people who get news from shady sites (such as theirs) feel like Gateway's Fastboot came before the community a9lh. So they're not going to put that to the bin and be more compatible anytime soon™.

Easier to run? maybe. But next year or the following one. And I don't feel like it's coherent to use their a9lh implementation. Hacks are supposed to open your console to whatever you want to do. Not open it to whatever a company wants you to do and nothing else. So if you hack, hack the right way.
Dont forget about their forgetfulness of safety by skipping steps.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Dont forget about their forgetfulness of safety by skipping steps.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk
Well I "forgot" it in the hypothetical future we were talking about. Not saying it will happen, but maybe at some point their thing will do what they intend it to do :P
All I was saying is that even in that hypothetical future, I don't recommend using their a9lh. And in the real present, I don't recommend it either for the same reasons plus others such as their missed steps as you say.

Reactions: gnmmarechal

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do people that avoid A9LH because it's too "difficult" always cite their reason to be "The improved boot time isn't worth the effort". It amazes me that none of them seem to care about FIRM protection yet, are the first to make a new thread claiming they "accidentally updated and need help". Having MenuHax on a downgradable system is like going to the beach to swim and only sticking a toe in when you're already on the edge of the ocean. Might as well jump in and get a little wet.

Trophies
XP
Country
i am in OP's postion right now but i am too scared to usse a9lh

what about my saves? WHAT ABOUT MY CIAS in emunand?

i will loose them I bet and no one told me that i can keep it so i am too scared to do the process

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am in OP's postion right now but i am too scared to usse a9lh

what about my saves? WHAT ABOUT MY CIAS in emunand?

i will loose them I bet and no one told me that i can keep it so i am too scared to do the process
Saves aren't hard to backup... And cias aren't hard to obtain. If you read through the guide, you will see that it tells you to back this shit up, and keep a backup of your emunand (which you end up writing to sysnand at the end anyways).

<rant>All this panic is overrated, and people use bad excuses to not do it. If you plan on actually doing it, wait a few days because some people may be working on an even easier way to get OTP (I have no clue how it works, or anything about it, I just saw a post on it earlier today.)</rant>

Reactions: Online

Trophies
XP
Country
Saves aren't hard to backup... And cias aren't hard to obtain. If you read through the guide, you will see that it tells you to back this shit up, and keep a backup of your emunand (which you end up writing to sysnand at the end anyways).

<rant>All this panic is overrated, and people use bad excuses to not do it. If you plan on actually doing it, wait a few days because some people may be working on an even easier way to get OTP (I have no clue how it works, or anything about it, I just saw a post on it earlier today.)</rant>

If you follow da guide you aint gonna loose anything

gatewait.

thanks for the info bros. i mite do it now

0bvious

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
An update - for anyone who cares.

I installed A9LH! Yes. I did. It took ages. I then followed the Luma Gateway guide and have that running as a second option. It was all easy, but tedious. Now to take my remaining .3ds titles and convert the saves to .cia.

Sigh.

All worth it for Mario Maker ;-)

Is there any other fun stuff that can be done now that I am running A9LH? Any tips for save transfer? Should I update the sysnand to latest Nintendo firmware?

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
An update - for anyone who cares.

I installed A9LH! Yes. I did. It took ages. I then followed the Luma Gateway guide and have that running as a second option. It was all easy, but tedious. Now to take my remaining .3ds titles and convert the saves to .cia.

Sigh.

All worth it for Mario Maker ;-)

Is there any other fun stuff that can be done now that I am running A9LH? Any tips for save transfer? Should I update the sysnand to latest Nintendo firmware?
If you're running Luma, you can safely update to 11.0.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000x using Tapatalk

Reactions: GilgameshArcher

0bvious

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a way to have a cia installed on sysnand/Luma that boots into Gateway? Or some way to boot to Gateway that means I don't have to shut off the console?

Update: I found a way to do this using this Quick Reboot cia. Then I launch from home, and hold the shortcut to boot gateway. Simple

Last edited by 0bvious,

Enryx25

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is there a way to have a cia installed on sysnand/Luma that boots into Gateway? Or some way to boot to Gateway that means I don't have to shut off the console?

Update: I found a way to do this using this Quick Reboot cia. Then I launch from home, and hold the shortcut to boot gateway. Simple

Why can't you destroy your gateway? Use only A9LH Luma because It's safer and faster.

Reactions: retrofan_k

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto