The A9LH installation is so much easier than it used to be
anyone else remember when we had to compile our own installs? Good times

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A9LH is already easy to install, it just takes a long time to do it in a very safe manner. As compared to gateway which, statistically has a higher chance to brick even if you follow their guides based on what I've seen in these forms.
At the very least A9LH is far less likely to brick from a software-caused (or non-user) error.
The guide just looks very intimidating because of how long it is, but it actually is very easy. The reason it is long is because into full detail about everything you have to do.
If you actually read through it very carefully none of it is "hard". Just copying files to/from the SD, running software and selecting options in the software that the guide very specifically tells you. That's why the guide, all-be-it long, is in my eyes better than any guides Gateway gives to their users. Because it literally takes you by the hand and guides you through every step.
a9lh guide is idiot proof its imposible to brick with plaliects guide litterally
It's still not fully impossible to brick, but at this point every brick I've seen while installing A9LH was user error. The software used has so many safety checks that as long as you don't try to bypass the safety checks it's virtually impossible to brick.

before i installed a9lh i was using rxtools on my 7 device after i install a9lh for one device i realized a9lh setup was easy and installed a9lh to all of them you can skip some backups if you know what you're doing
No you can't that's horrible advice
Actually you can skip a few if you do know what you are doing. Would I recommend it? No. But an emuNAND backup can be restored to sysNAND as it is compatible last time I checked. I mean at the end of the guide it even tells you to restore an emuNAND backup onto your sysNAND, meaning it does work and would work if you hardbricked and needed to restore via hardmod.
And if you know which backups you don't really need, you can shave a good 30+ minutes off of install time. Though I would only do that once I had done several consoles and can almost do the whole thing without using the guide.

Reactions: GilgameshArcher

Gray_Jack

Trophies
XP
Country
It already is plenty easy; I'd say as easy as it can get. I did recently three NEW way A9LH installs and back few months ago I did the first type of A9LH installs. You do not have to compile your own installers out of your own OTP and files, do the N3DS 2.1 unbrick with your PC, and trust all of this to go through fine without better verification tools when I did this for my own consoles (one now sold to a good friend) - I did not at first even believe that the installer had been made for 2.1 and to install just as is with the OTP and all AND it dumps your OTP for you too. Like only thing lacking in current A9LH process is sexual favors while at it, that's all.

In real talk; As long as OTP which is key component for A9LH; there is no way for it to get easier, you need your console on 2.1 temporarily to get your OTP and install with it.

I did it with the old method in my New 3DS, the instructions were inside a .txt files, compile your own installer and make the 2.1 compatible with the 3DS without OTPHelper. Fun and awesome times :3

0bvious

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
BUT what about my saved games? I have a bunch of CIA installs on my gateway emunand that I do not want to lose. Am I going to have to backup and restore each save in turn? Or does restoring my emunand to sysnand solve that problem?

This is why this thing isn't clear to me. If you have a new machine then of course the A9LH guide is child's play. I don't. My O3DS is filled up with goodness.

fikatr

Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
BUT what about my saved games? I have a bunch of CIA installs on my gateway emunand that I do not want to lose. Am I going to have to backup and restore each save in turn? Or does restoring my emunand to sysnand solve that problem?

This is why this thing isn't clear to me. If you have a new machine then of course the A9LH guide is child's play. I don't. My O3DS is filled up with goodness.
if you follow da holy guide you aint gonna loose a thing your emunand gonna be your sysnand

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A pretty technical way it could be easier is Menuhax autoboot auto launching all the tools needed, in order, and auto using them, entirely automating everything from emunand to booting through 2.1 downgrade. Might need a pretty big sd card to store all the nand backups

0bvious

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I just realised, going through the early stages of the process, that I am going to end up with an A9LH sysNAND with my CIAs on it, and that if I want to play the .3DS games on my Gateway I am going to have to boot that separately anyway.

Seems pointless at this stage to go through this entire setup just to save myself 15 seconds half the time I use my 3DS.

Is there any way to boot to Gateway quicker using these methods? Or to play the games on my Gateway card directly from sysNAND?

Ugh

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I just realised, going through the early stages of the process, that I am going to end up with an A9LH sysNAND with my CIAs on it, and that if I want to play the .3DS games on my Gateway I am going to have to boot that separately anyway.
Seems pointless at this stage to go through this entire setup just to save myself 15 seconds half the time I use my 3DS.
Is there any way to boot to Gateway quicker using these methods? Or to play the games on my Gateway card directly from sysNAND?
Ugh
I usually don't close follow some parts of the guide because:
1) I might want a different setup like you say
2) I know a quicker way to do it, adding a little risk
3) I want to test something unusual in between (like booting ShadownNand installer through 2xrsa in 2.1 instead of SafeA9lhInstaller).
Last time number 3 sent to rip a system of mine but meh.

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country

Ugh
There's an a9lh/luma payload for gateway; so you can boot straight to gateway by just holding a button on startup

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.