Apple iPod Classic 50G: Windows Recognizes It But iTunes Doesn't

MissingNo._

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I traded iPods with my dad on my birthday. He gave me his Classic 80G. This would sync everytime I connected it, then recently I had to format it 9 times, then yesterday Windows would recognize it but iTunes wouldn't. My dad also had problems with this when he used it (switching iPod Libraries from Computer to PC makes it Sync perfectly for an unkown amount of time). I have searched online (everywhere, as most people might say
wink.gif
) in most places but nothing would work! I am afraid to try the five Rs, especially the fifth. I will use it as a last resort. I will update this post with stuff I have tried.

- Reset iPod while connected
- Reset iPod while unconnected, then plugged in iPod
- Smacking it on the back (otherwise known as spanking
wink.gif
), then plugged in iPod, although only used for when a sad iPod is shown on the screen
- Unplugged PC while off for 1:30, plugged it back in, turned it on, then plugged in iPod
- Uninstalled all USB ports, reinstalled, then plugged in iPod
- Uninstalled iTunes, reinstalled, then plugged in iPod
- Tried on a different computer
- Reseted iPod, then plugged in iPod
- Reseted iPod while plugged in
- Started Songbird with iPod Support add-on, then plugged in iPod

Here's some info on my PC and iPod.

- Running Windows Vista
- Running iTunes 8.2.0.23
- iPod Linux on iPod (Synced fine even when it had it on there)
- Had Rockbox and iBoy on iPod (Synced fine even when I had it on there)

Oops, named topic 50G instead of 80G. Could an admin please change it, not a big deal though, but when you have the time.

Now, whenever a Pop-Up comes up saying do you want to scan and fix E: IPOD, iTunes unfreezes but still cannot communicate with iPod

thc42O

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
for some fucked up reason, the front USB ports dont recognize the things. or atleast that was my case
UNINSTALL ALL APPLE SOFTWARE INCLUDING ITUNES
REINSTALL ITUNES
Plug into BACK USB port

then send me love
smile.gif

MissingNo._

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thc42O said:
for some fucked up reason, the front USB ports dont recognize the things. or atleast that was my case
REINSTALL ITUNES
Plug into BACK USB port

then send me love
smile.gif

Yeeeeeeaaaaaa I said I don't want to try this method. Like ever. Or unless I have no other option, but I don't know what any others are.

AAAAAANNNNNNDDDDDD I don't have any back ports, only side ports.
sleep.gif

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
[BnC said:
Mitchell]
thc42O said:
REINSTALL ITUNES
Plug into BACK USB port

then send me love
smile.gif

Yeeeeeeaaaaaa I said I don't want to try this method. Like ever. Or unless I have no other option, but I don't know what any others are.

sleep.gif
I think there's a way to export your library as an xml file, isn't there? If you did that, I think you'd be able to restore it when you reinstall iTunes.

MissingNo._

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Da-Bomb1 said:
[BnC said:
Mitchell]
thc42O said:
REINSTALL ITUNES
Plug into BACK USB port

then send me love
smile.gif

sleep.gif
I think there's a way to export your library as an xml file, isn't there? If you did that, I think you'd be able to restore it when you reinstall iTunes.

Or I could just copy the iTunes folder to somewhere else, then replace it when I re-install it. Why would I put it in a .xml?

But I'm looking for OTHER solutions, so if someone has the same problem, they could come here and see all the solutions they have to work with.

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, chances are that with all the time you've waited for a response, you could have reinstalled iTunes about 20 times already.
tongue.gif

MissingNo._

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Da-Bomb1 said:
Well, chances are that with all the time you've waited for a response, you could have reinstalled iTunes about 20 times already.
tongue.gif

... Fine I will try it. But only because you're a smart ass
rofl2.gif
JK

MissingNo._

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Da-Bomb1 said:
[BnC said:
Mitchell]
That didn't work. I will send you hate
nyanya.gif

Try Songbird?

Thank you. I'm trying this. But can you answer this for me? DanTheManMS won't respond to this:

QUOTE(DanTheManMS @ Jul 7 2009, 09:09 AM)
There actually is a homebrew program that sends *.nds files to flashed DS systems via Download Play, but I never got it to work with my Supercard since it used really old filesystem access code. I could get the built-in test file to work, but I couldn't send over a *.nds file of my choosing like I was supposed to be able to do.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IDK if you've tried this yet (I only skimmed the thread), but try opening iTunes then plugging in your iPod. Also, if your computer has multiple USB ports, try each of them. I find iTunes only recognizes one USB port.

Also, iTunes is shit. It's the worst program I know of for music management. The GUI may look nice, but it's slow, annoying, and incompatible. I also have a classic 80GB iPod (video) and sometimes find iTunes not noticing my iPod is hooked up and it annoys me.

MissingNo._

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Da-Bomb1 said:
[BnC said:
Mitchell]
Songbird won't read my iPod...
http://addons.songbirdnest.com/addon/12

You need the addon for iPod support.

...and I don't really understand your question earlier.
tongue.gif
What is it you want?

I'm trying the add-on.

I'm wondering what the program is.

QUOTE(Guild McCommunist @ Jul 8 2009, 05:09 PM)
IDK if you've tried this yet (I only skimmed the thread), but try opening iTunes then plugging in your iPod. Also, if your computer has multiple USB ports, try each of them. I find iTunes only recognizes one USB port.

Also, iTunes is shit. It's the worst program I know of for music management. The GUI may look nice, but it's slow, annoying, and incompatible. I also have a classic 80GB iPod (video) and sometimes find iTunes not noticing my iPod is hooked up and it annoys me.

I have done the first one, doesn't work, I tried all of them. But none work. And iTunes won't freeze up when I plug it into one of my USB ports... maybe it's broken?

Thats your opnion, may not apply to others
nyanya.gif

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Um...what is it you want to use this program for?

...and it looks to me like there's something wrong with your iPod...have you tried using it on another computer?

Also, have you tried resetting it? I think you do that by pressing the menu and center button for awhile.

MissingNo._

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Da-Bomb1 said:
Um...what is it you want to use this program for?

...and it looks to me like there's something wrong with your iPod...have you tried using it on another computer?

Also, have you tried resetting it? I think you do that by pressing the menu and center button for awhile.

I want to play multiplayer homebrew.

Yes I have tried both, forgot to put in first post. And yes, you reset it that way.

MissingNo._

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now, Songbird freezes up when I plug my iPod in. I guess that iTunes and Songbird know the iPod is there, but it just can't communicate, sync, or work properly when plugged in.

And now, whenever a Pop-Up comes up saying do you want to scan and fix E: IPOD, iTunes unfreezes but still cannot communicate with my iPod.

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
[BnC said:
Mitchell]
Now, Songbird freezes up when I plug my iPod in. I guess that iTunes and Songbird know the iPod is there, but it just can't communicate, sync, or work properly when plugged in.

And now, whenever a Pop-Up comes up saying do you want to scan and fix E: IPOD, iTunes unfreezes but still cannot communicate with my iPod.
Looks to me like your iPod's broken. Dunno what's wrong though.

..and I don't really know of any application that does that. You could try making a post in the right board and maybe you'll get an answer.
tongue.gif
Or just do a forum search.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, No idea, Wish.com is dead.