OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cannot resist going off-topic here!

Late 00s laptops? :creep: → I was talking about late 1990s hardware → :creep:
The original HDD in that PC had smaller memory capacity than a DVD. Later I bought a 20GB HDD. Fun things.

I'm fighting with getting to run DVD and other video playback on an older desktop computer myself. Anachronistic setup: Pentium D 32bit processor, running latest Debian stable (12, bookworm). No way to get proprietary NVIDIA drivers to work with new kernel and the nouvau driver does not really work (complete system crash when using glx, so VLC crashes the PC as well).
The goal was running latest software on pretty old hardware -- which kinda works well; minus the closed source NVIDIA blob.

yeah, that's a lot of memories! i mean, interactual player was great at the time. i liked the skins provided on the dvd, which vlc doesn't have. looks like they put a lot of time into it. but now it's past. it doesn't work with windows 10, but there are other good dvd players. speaking of old pc's, i liked windows xp. everyone liked windows xp. but now it's out of support and forgotten, but the memories of it we'll never forget. but what if i used it still? "alyssa, why are you using windows xp? it's out of support!"
Post automatically merged:

wait, flarerez?? sorry am a noob, but how can you change where it says "new member" or "well known member"?

Last edited by yogirlalyssa,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yeah, that's a lot of memories! i mean, interactual player was great at the time. i liked the skins provided on the dvd, which vlc doesn't have. looks like they put a lot of time into it. but now it's past. it doesn't work with windows 10, but there are other good dvd players. speaking of old pc's, i liked windows xp. everyone liked windows xp. but now it's out of support and forgotten, but the memories of it we'll never forget. but what if i used it still? "alyssa, why are you using windows xp? it's out of support!"
Are you really that yound as your profile says and still fond of XP?
XP was the last Microsoft Windows system I actively used before switching almost exclusively to Linu in 2006.

You can get XP on a (partial) patchlevel of year 2019 with the embedded or POS hack.
I've not tried this yet since my XP is patched already:
https://legacyupdate.net/

There is also an unofficial Service Pack 4 and packages containing all XP updates beyond that up to 2019. No idea if they are trustworthy.

Note that still using XP online carries a lot of risks (although common new malware might not even be XP compatible anymore). Use XP offline or the very least have a system image backup if you go online and don't do things like logging into accounts, shopping, banking...
All major browsers dropped XP years ago so the browsers alone have security isssues -- A LOT!

Reactions: SylverReZ

yogirlalyssa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you really that yound as your profile says and still fond of XP?
XP was the last Microsoft Windows system I actively used before switching almost exclusively to Linu in 2006.

You can get XP on a (partial) patchlevel of year 2019 with the embedded or POS hack.
I've not tried this yet since my XP is patched already:
https://legacyupdate.net/

There is also an unofficial Service Pack 4 and packages containing all XP updates beyond that up to 2019. No idea if they are trustworthy.

Note that still using XP online carries a lot of risks (although common new malware might not even be XP compatible anymore). Use XP offline or the very least have a system image backup if you go online and don't do things like logging into accounts, shopping, banking...
All major browsers dropped XP years ago so the browsers alone have security isssues -- A LOT!

ok thx ;)

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
although common new malware might not even be XP compatible anymore
You'd be surprised. A ton of malware is still 32bit only, and so long as ATMs and point-of-sale systems continue to use XP, there will be malware for it. I particularly like the jackpot strains. CutletMaker and the like are really amusing.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

yogirlalyssa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nevermind, i installed vlc media player by downloading it on a different computer and putting it on a usb stick to connect to my computer. works very well. :hrth: i am now able to play that one baby einstien numbers nursery (plz dont make fun of me) DVD that i couldnt play for a long time. thank you for all your suggestions.

yogirlalyssa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why use InterActual player these days, when you can use VLC Media Player?

i installed vlc on a different computer and put it on a usb stick to download it on my computer. works great. and i figured out how to convert the dvd movie to an .mp4 format. WAY better than that crappy interactual player.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste