interactual player not working with my computer

yogirlalyssa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wanted to play a dvd on my windows pc, but the only software i could access was the interactual player. it could not play. it had an error that said: "playback failed due to a problem with the subsystem. lowering your screen resolution or color depth may fix the problem." why?????

• Haha
Reactions: RedColoredStars

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i wanted to play a dvd on my windows pc, but the only software i could access was the interactual player. it could not play. it had an error that said: "playback failed due to a problem with the subsystem. lowering your screen resolution or color depth may fix the problem." why?????
Why use InterActual player these days, when you can use VLC Media Player?

Reactions: BigOnYa and Plazorn

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
😃This thread really brings me back:😃
PowerDVD version 3 (or older? – memory is blurred) running on a system with AMD K6 350MHz with 64MB RAM. Hardware acceleration in GPU available for decoding MPEG-2. Used in in conjunction with "TV out" for copying DVDs to VHS – some people gave them to me as they bought the discs before having a super expensive DVD player.
That was a lot of fun!
Stop it, Sinchen! Nobody wants to read your nostalgic enthusiasm!
================================

Please get an Ethernet cable. It will save you a lot of trouble in the future: *Plug* → Online → :)
No stupid WiFi security. No weak signal. No lost connection. No going very slow for no reason for some seconds.

Otherwise: I fully agree with "Try VLC". It is not that this open source program is one of those rubbish things only installing while online: Full installer (not a downloader) and not commercial bullshit requiring activation or something.
There is not much reason other than nostalgia to use officially licensed DVD player applications. The CSS protection is broken by design and not a hurdle. You will have to jump some hoops in order to play original BDs or even UHD BDs. Official player software might be an easy option (if the computer meets all the requirements to enforce the copy protection).

Lastly: If you are using an older computer because it still has a DVD drive and your new computer doesn't: Consider dumping your DVDs with something like MakeMKV. You will get nice files playing on any current device (phone/tablet/PC/media player in TV…). If memory is a concern you might want to transcode MPEG-2 to h.264 – depending on the source material and the amount of noise in the picture you will end up with files about ⅓ the size with no noticeable loss of quality.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
😃This thread really brings me back:😃
PowerDVD version 3 (or older? – memory is blurred) running on a system with AMD K6 350MHz with 64MB RAM. Hardware acceleration in GPU available for decoding MPEG-2. Used in in conjunction with "TV out" for copying DVDs to VHS – some people gave them to me as they bought the discs before having a super expensive DVD player.
Ah yes, PowerDVD. This takes me back. We used to have this on our school computers, and I had used it previously on late-00s laptops.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Cannot resist going off-topic here!
Ah yes, PowerDVD. This takes me back. We used to have this on our school computers, and I had used it previously on late-00s laptops.
Late 00s laptops? :creep: → I was talking about late 1990s hardware → :creep:
The original HDD in that PC had smaller memory capacity than a DVD. Later I bought a 20GB HDD. Fun things.

I'm fighting with getting to run DVD and other video playback on an older desktop computer myself. Anachronistic setup: Pentium D 32bit processor, running latest Debian stable (12, bookworm). No way to get proprietary NVIDIA drivers to work with new kernel and the nouvau driver does not really work (complete system crash when using glx, so VLC crashes the PC as well).
The goal was running latest software on pretty old hardware -- which kinda works well; minus the closed source NVIDIA blob.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Late 00s laptops? :creep: → I was talking about late 1990s hardware → :creep:
The original HDD in that PC had smaller memory capacity than a DVD. Later I bought a 20GB HDD. Fun things.

I'm fighting with getting to run DVD and other video playback on an older desktop computer myself. Anachronistic setup: Pentium D 32bit processor, running latest Debian stable (12, bookworm). No way to get proprietary NVIDIA drivers to work with new kernel and the nouvau driver does not really work (complete system crash when using glx, so VLC crashes the PC as well).
The goal was running latest software on pretty old hardware -- which kinda works well; minus the closed source NVIDIA blob.
I have a Toshiba that currently has a PIII at 700MHz and 11GB IDE HDD. Its running Red Hat Linux v9.0a at the minute, so this is perfect. I do sometimes use Media Player Classic, but often its VLC Media Player.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1