suppachipmunk

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I am a complete Noob to teh PSP scene. I am planning to buy a PSP Slim in the next few days and I just wanted to make sure that I know how to mod it first.

I did some research and I know that I need a battery (Pandora's battery) and a compatible memory stick with the appropriate files on it. I plan to buy the battery from datel (codejunkies.com) because I have NO way to make my own battery. When it comes to the memory stick, do I need to do anything special other than just drag and drop the necessary files onto the memory card?

If anyone can give some step by step instructions, or even a link that may answer a few of my questions I would greatly appreciate it. I did a search but couldnt find any definite answers to my questions. Just figured I would ask for some advice from ppl who have already done this before.

I can get the battery already formatted, and I can get a retail memory stick, and I can get the files. Is there anything else special that requires an already modded PSP?

Thanks in advance.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only the latest firmwares need the Pandora stuff.

Check psp-hacks.com to see how to hack your particular version.

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God...there was this site I saw that explained how to make a battery that would reset you to 1.50 with just soldering...maybe you should Google search for it, but I don't know if Slims can downgrade to 1.50. I'd rather just get a normal PSP lol.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Currently, Slims are unable to downgrade to anything below 3.60. The only FW options for it are 3.60 M33 and 3.71 M33-2. I read on some news post (don't remember exactly which site, might have been M33's release post) that this was because something in the Slim's hardware prevents it from running anything lower than 3.60.

At the moment, I'm running 3.60 M33 because I had heard that 3.71 M33 wasn't working very well. This may have been before M33-2 was released, so whatever problems it might have had may be fixed now.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks worstenbrood, I will give this a read and attempt hopefully in the next week.

yes, you can open up the battery and remove (or cut one of the connectors) to create a pandora battery. however, getting the files onto a memory stick may be another issue. I'm planning on updating my new psp slim by the end of the month, so I'll probably take the guides that out there and try and fill in any blanks that exist.

Currently, Slims are unable to downgrade to anything below 3.60. The only FW options for it are 3.60 M33 and 3.71 M33-2. I read on some news post (don't remember exactly which site, might have been M33's release post) that this was because something in the Slim's hardware prevents it from running anything lower than 3.60.

At the moment, I'm running 3.60 M33 because I had heard that 3.71 M33 wasn't working very well. This may have been before M33-2 was released, so whatever problems it might have had may be fixed now.
I'm running M33's 3.71 on my phat psp so far without any issues (however, it may be 2nd update that I'm running).

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The only issues I have right now is the "lag" that happens while changing screen brightness. But it doesn't happen while playing a game, which leads me to belive that it's the le recovery menu's fault (most likely since I modified the brightness there).

Other than that, 3.71 m33-2 is great (even with out the update)

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Ah. Chuckstudios is the one who told me he didn't like it. I trust his opinion cause he's helped me a lot with my own noob questions.

[06:24pm] chuckstud, you tried 3.71 M33-2, right?
[06:24pm] yes
[06:24pm] i disliked it
[06:24pm] and it sucked?
[06:24pm] it's ok
[06:24pm] i just didn't like it
[06:24pm] dunno why
[06:24pm] hm
[06:24pm] im still using 3.60
[06:24pm] oh
[06:25pm] if you have a slim
[06:25pm] and i keep seeing this shit thats like, "only for 3.71"
[06:25pm] 3.71 is worth it

So I'm updating right now.

@dsbomb:
News from where? I haven't seen anything today on the sites I typically check.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
I think I understand it. It's when you're messing with the files directly in the PSP's nand flash memory (such as the CFW) rather than the MemStick files, which is something you don't do often if you're a general user like me, and not a developer.

I've already replaced files in my flash0 to get applecor working, but haven't had any problems like the ones described in the post.
Of course, I keep backups of everything anyway.

Thanks for the link.

masterj27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm also finally caving in and getting a PSP Slim. i'm planning on getting the "tool" battery. The only issue I have is when I was reading about the 3.71 M33 FW, it said, "Once again 1.50 homebrew is incompatible on the slim but a kernel patch has been released for the PSP-1000 allowing execution of 1.50 kernel mode homebrew". Does this mean that most emulators won't work since I believe most are written for 1.5? It might be worth getting an old psp if that's what I need to do for most homebrew to work.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it means homebrew that runs on the 1.5 kernel won't run on the slim normally. However, most emulators and homebrew apps are being updated to work on the 3.x kernel. My slim is already running the GB/GBC, SNES, GBA, and PS1 emulators, as well as a few other homebrew apps. Plus there's an eLoader that will load some 1.5-only homebrew on the slim (but not all).

On the topic of the Datel Tool Battery, I just want to point out that I ordered a battery from Datel (codejunkies.com) after getting my Slim and never got it. The status of my order is "out of stock" despite the product page saying "Availability: Immediate". After a few days and no answers from their email support, I decided to send it to [M]artin since he offered to install the CFW for me. They also already charged my credit card when I placed the order, and I can't get a hold of anyone by phone or email to cancel the order and get my money back.

Just a heads up if you think about buying from them. I think there are a few other places (such as Divineo) that sell the tool batteries as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, always has been
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool, lots of cool games available for PS3. Game on!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ancientboi already making new people mad
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, Nick is not that new
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Ohayogozaimasu = Good Morning
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ohgayhoe
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh oh oh ahhh - goodnight
    +1
    hahahaha
    more like Oh oh oh [splat] ahhhhh
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In your case it's Oh oh fart ahhhh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to a garage sell last saturday, and the lady had a PS2 for sale, but she had a sign on it that said "Nintendo -$50", had to laugh, almost bought but she didn't know if worked, and she didn't have controller or cables, so I passed.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So are you playing Mario on your Xbox online on that PlayStation Network?
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, on that android PC?
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd consider Chromebooks an Android PC.
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, new Doctor Who is on tomorrow... Hopefully this season is better than the last.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, never watched doctor who
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well guys, i went to the library today
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What did you learn?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    since my sister said manga was a good gateway into anime, i decided to get a manga, i was going to get one punch man, but volume 1 wasn't there
    Well, what about Dr. What? Don't leave him out.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and so i got mashle instead, which is actually quite good
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: and so i got mashle instead, which is actually quite good