Hacking Installing boot9strap via extdata?

J-Will

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking of installing boot9strap via extdata, which would be an alternate exploit of BannerBomb3 if BannerBomb3 doesn't work on some old 3DSes/old 2DSes, since skaterhax is new 2DS/new 3DS only. For example, we use the home menu extdata (0000008f, 00000098, 00000082, 000000a1, 000000a9, 000000b1) or we use the theme extdata (000002cc, 000002cd, 000002ce) to boot the SafeB9SInstaller by using movable.sed and the extdata files to inject the extdata with hacked extdata that would boot the SafeB9SInstaller when trying to access the hacked extdata on the 3DS, or hacked extdata could work with some games that use extdata, such as Super Smash Bros and Super Mario Maker.

Could there be any possible way of installing boot9strap via extdata? That way, people who only have an old 3DS/old 2DS don't have to use these 3 alternate exploits (kartdlphax, ntrboot, hardmodding), which requires additional hardware.

Last edited by J-Will,

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Bannerbomb3 will always work on old3ds as long as people stop removing cfw while leaving old DSiWare homebrew/roms behind, that's what breaks it. So stop uninstalling cfw everybody.

As far as the extdata idea goes, well yeah, movable.sed allows us to attack that vector too but system titles tend be more difficult than normal games* to find and develop exploits for -- it's not like there's a lack of trying (including me). That being said, they probably still exist. It's just a matter of a lot of research and pen testing.

Keep in mind that system title exploits that don't need extdata access still exist, and I'm not just talking about the browsers. Those are even better because you can skip the movable.sed bruteforce procedure.

* by normal games I mean carts (bad because user has to pay), and eShop (bad because mostly inaccessible now).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I have discovered a hilarious corner of youtube. meme ASMR
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That sick boy yo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was hoping I could add a custom ROM to this fire HD 10 tablet but guess no one's made twrp available
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Root it? Lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That shit is so locked down, tighter than a nun's ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know if that's even possible for the firmware
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can remove the bloat ware and ads easily but can't install a rom
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    Veho @ Veho: What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous...