Homebrew Injecting roms into VC? With only the web browser? Sure.

SinkyChan17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
duke_srg It says this: "d m c : / d k c . g b c "

(because I tried to load dkc.gbc testing Donkey Kong Country. Had this dumb idea that maybe it was the length of the file, so I chose a file that was only 3 characters before the extension."

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
duke_srg It says this: "d m c : / d k c . g b c "

(because I tried to load dkc.gbc testing Donkey Kong Country. Had this dumb idea that maybe it was the length of the file, so I chose a file that was only 3 characters before the extension."
Well it is originally 3 characters, but should work up to about 40, however it still on debug phase and I did not test it yet for longer file names, that is why I asked to check load.rom file. So was dkc loaded and is load.rom changed with full Pokemon ROM filename? I will continue to debug code only tomortow, but can troubleshoot bugs now.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no luck on nes vc injection. i got my self a copy of a nes vc to test things and all injection has failed. even injecting a TNES rom ripped form another vc still fails. the vc just show black screen on reset or crashes.

Arshes91

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
no luck on nes vc injection. i got my self a copy of a nes vc to test things and all injection has failed. even injecting a TNES rom ripped form another vc still fails. the vc just show black screen on reset or crashes.
does a way to make a permanent game wile i exit the VC?

D

Deleted User

can anyone confirm if For the Frog the Bells Toll work? ( Kaeru no tame ni Kane wa naru with translation Eng. patch applied ) I have donkey kong GB and Metroid 2 to inject into

also, noob question but I read the entire topic, and i'm still not sure. are GB injects permanent? or only the GBC ones via KazoWAR's method?

jon2491

Trophies
XP
Country
I have Mega Man 5 512K ROM. I tried inject SMB 64K and SMB3 384K and they failed. but now i went back and tested a 512K nes rom and it worked! need to do more test for smaller roms it seems
That's great, NES injector confirmed!

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure yet but i think you would only beable to inject roms that have the same header has the original rom. i dont know the vc is hard resetting. so its trying to run the new rom with the data it used to init the old rom like mapper number, prg rom size, chr rom size, and if it has extra ram or not.​

Golui

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
not sure yet but i think you would only beable to inject roms that have the same header has the original rom. i dont know the vc is hard resetting. so its trying to run the new rom with the data it used to init the old rom like mapper number, prg rom size, chr rom size, and if it has extra ram or not.

If it were the case, it wouldn't crash if we put garbage in the header. It's definetly reading it in one way or another. Could be that it just uses the previous Program Counter which makes it freeze. Even if, in principle we could scour through memory to find and replace those values.

Secret Dragoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps the ROMs have to have the same
not sure yet but i think you would only beable to inject roms that have the same header has the original rom. i dont know the vc is hard resetting. so its trying to run the new rom with the data it used to init the old rom like mapper number, prg rom size, chr rom size, and if it has extra ram or not.

This is what I figured after posting some source code several pages back.

shutterbug2000

Cubic NINJHAX!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick status update:

1st of all: Thank you KazoWAR for all your work on this!

Now, here's where I stand: I want a way to inject roms and save data(if at all possible). Why? My idea is: since it is temporary, why not make a loader AND backup tool. So:

1: No losing progress in original game.

2. No losing progress in injected game.

So, my plan? Make a "gui". Since there's no way to "scan files"(like a DIR listing in command prompt, for example), we make a predefined list in a text file.
Then, we can, with a selected rom in the list, we can:

1. Inject with save

2. Inject W/O save

3. Backup save to sd

I'm not sure how to get the save though...

Would that be stored in memory like the rom?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, would you recommend playing n64 games on a ps3 through retroarch?