Hacking I'm the very definition of the term "noob" 1

ejjames

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although I have 16 years as a member of various forums, the most active being the AVS home theater forum as a builder/installer', I am completely new to the flash card game, and am doing this for my son as a gift. Please be patieknt.

first, I received the EZ-FLASH with the pointer and usb dr0ive.

2. I received a SanDisk 8GB MICRO sd card with adapter to connect to my pc.

a few basic questions...There is no way to hook up the easy flash card to my pc, right? All kernals, firmware updates and roms need to be loaded to the micro SD card.

Does the kernal and firmware somehow need to be transferred to the ez flash from the micro sd, or does it stay on microSD?

Am I correct in saying the kernal and current firmware version need to be loaded (along with roms, or is there something I'm missing?

Finally, I assume all roms must be unzipped first, correct?

If there are any glaring omissions, please correct me, and thank you in advance for all the help.
EJ

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
First you should read the wiki of the usa forum.

http://ezflash.sosuke.com/wiki/index.php?t...uickstart_guide
wink.gif

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The wiki's a great place to start, but I'll go ahead and answer your questions here.

ejjames said:
a few basic questions...There is no way to hook up the easy flash card to my pc, right? All kernals, firmware updates and roms need to be loaded to the micro SD card.

No, everything you do will be done from the SD.

QUOTE said:
Does the kernal and firmware somehow need to be transferred to the ez flash from the micro sd, or does it stay on microSD?

The firmware yes, the kernel stays on the SD. Your flash cart should come flashed w/ some version of the firmware already on it. If they're still using the KDE skin as the default skin, you can see which version of firmware is on your cart by tapping the tools icon. At the top of the window that opens it will say "Ver: H[your hardware version] F[firmware version] K[kernel version]".

QUOTE said:
Am I correct in saying the kernal and current firmware version need to be loaded (along with roms, or is there something I'm missing?

Latest firmware version is 106. You upgrade by sticking the update file on your SD and running it from the cart's menu like you would a game. If you are on a version lower then 106 and want to upgrade, do not skip versions (i.e. if you are on 103, install 104 then 105 and then 106). You can delete the firmware update files once they have been flashed to the cart... In fact if you are giving this to a child I'd recommend you do so.

The latest kernel is 3.0 OB6. Format your SD w/ Panasonic's SD format tool, after doing so just unzip/rar the kernel software to your SD. It will set up all the directories you need and put all the files in their proper places. When you upgrade your kernel to a new version it is best to get rid of the old one before installing the new one. Back up any skins you want to keep and your cheat file, delete the EZ5Shell directory and copy back your backed up skins and cheat file.

QUOTEFinally, I assume all roms must be unzipped first, correct?

Correct.

If there are any glaring omissions, please correct me, and thank you in advance for all the help.

Have a look at the wiki, and if you still have questions or find something confusing we'll be here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hi