Hacking I'm an absolute amateur and I'm way over my head with the Gateway 3DS

VandalCrown

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am so grateful for all the help. I am proud to announce that everything has worked out! I'm playing Fantasy Life. I love this!

But I must request your assistance(s) once more - for I would like to play online with any game, and I'm not quite sure what to do:

Converting for .cia versions of games sounds tedious, but people tend to like that more than just converting for .3dz. I'm not entirely sure what the differences are between these two. .cia sounds like it offers more protection from online bans than .3dz does, from my research. Am I wrong? .3dz sounds a lot easier to do.

Also, I heard I can't use my saves for games I've already started. That's a bit of a downer. :/ If anyone can dispel this, that'd be grand, but it's all good.

I'd like to have this figured out before Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon so I can help your teams out when you're in a pickle.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I am so grateful for all the help. I am proud to announce that everything has worked out! I'm playing Fantasy Life. I love this!

But I must request your assistance(s) once more - for I would like to play online with any game, and I'm not quite sure what to do:

Converting for .cia versions of games sounds tedious, but people tend to like that more than just converting for .3dz. I'm not entirely sure what the differences are between these two. .cia sounds like it offers more protection from online bans than .3dz does, from my research. Am I wrong? .3dz sounds a lot easier to do.

Also, I heard I can't use my saves for games I've already started. That's a bit of a downer. :/ If anyone can dispel this, that'd be grand, but it's all good.

I'd like to have this figured out before Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon so I can help your teams out when you're in a pickle.

If you dumped your own cartridges you can just rename the file extension .3dz. If you downloaded it, you will need to get a header and inject it. Not sure what the steps are, all my roms are from my own cartridges.

The easiest thing is to dump your own games and rename to .3dz, second easiest to find a CIA download and install with BigBlueMenu.

Reactions: VandalCrown

VandalCrown

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not exactly sure how to dump my games. Can I just find .cia roms?

What exactly is the difference between .3dz and .cia? Can't I just convert to .3dz and be done with it?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia

What exactly is the difference between .3dz and .cia? Can't I just convert to .3dz and be done with it?

It is incredibly easy to dump your own cartridge. Launch the gateway exploit with the red card not inserted, so the menu comes up. Pick the option to dump a cartridge. Put cartridge in and press A. Come back in an hour or so depending how big the game file is. It will be saved in the 3DS' SD card.

CIA and .3ds/.3dz files are totally different. The former are installed on your system, the latter are run from the red card.

It is complicated but straightforward enough to convert a .3ds to a .cia. It is very difficult to go the other way.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I thought of an analogy. .3DS/.3dz files are like running a game from a CD. .cia files are like running a game installed on your computer. It is easy to go from CD to installed, you just install it to your computer. It is hard to go from an installed game to running from a CD (you have to find all the files on your computer, have disk writing technology, and get the files onto the CD in a way that allows a computer to read them)

VandalCrown

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think I'm gonna' just go with .3dz and hope Nintendo doesn't get mad at me for using the same header across a million games.

I want to have a great rescue team, after all snarfle snarf.

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you!

Okay so, from what I understand, being in emuNand is actually just being in Gateway mode? Are these the same thing? Maybe I just haven't gotten that far yet.

Edit: And if anyone is willing, can you explain what sysNAND and emuNAND being linked or unlinked means?
Gateway Mode is like a wrapper around the system that does things like disable signature checks, add a hook for the game menu, and so on.
emuNand is a separate instance of your internal memory stored on the SD card, allowing you to install things to it that you can't or won't install to your main system memory (such as updates that would leave your main system non-exploitable). Most of the time, you will likely be running emuNand in Gateway Mode. If you want to run a retail card, you will likely use emuNand in Classic Mode. If you want to mess with your sysNand for some reason (such as to install certain versions of System Software), you will boot sysNand in Gateway Mode to run your CIA installer. If you want to run DS games, or an unmodified system for some reason, you can do that when you first boot the system in sysNand without Gateway Mode.

The 3DS contains a unique ID that it uses for various things, such as storing files on your SD card. When you first create an emuNand, it is an exact copy of your sysNand, and that means using the same unique ID. Because of this, the two nands will use the same folder, and see each others' files. This is what it means to be "linked", since changes to one can often cause changes to the other. This is usually more hassle than it's worth, so most users choose to unlink them by formatting one of the two nands. This causes the formatted one to choose a new unique ID, and thus use a different folder, and the two no longer step on each others' toes.

If you are using an Old 3DS and downgrade your System Version to 4.x, it breaks the encryption used in some retail games. You will lose the saves of any retail game using the encryption introduced in 6.x. Also, if you start a game, and then change the header to go online, I believe that also breaks the encryption key used for the save, but I haven't experimented with that.

It is incredibly easy to dump your own cartridge. Launch the gateway exploit with the red card not inserted, so the menu comes up. Pick the option to dump a cartridge. Put cartridge in and press A. Come back in an hour or so depending how big the game file is. It will be saved in the 3DS' SD card.
Minor point, you can also hold L while starting the launcher to enter the menu, without having to remove the card. In this case, since the card will need to be removed to insert the card to dump, it doesn't make much difference, but it could be helpful to know.

I think I'm gonna' just go with .3dz and hope Nintendo doesn't get mad at me for using the same header across a million games.

I want to have a great rescue team, after all snarfle snarf.
So far, there have been no reports of bans from using the same private header with multiple games. Just as long as the Card ID is not online twice at the same time, you're fine. I personally use one header for all my games, and have yet to be banned.

VandalCrown

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ahh! May I ask folks for one other spot of assistance?

I think I've goofed with .3dz files. I converted it using Gateway Rom Patcher but I still have my save file in tact from the game I started on my .3ds file! I thought it was supposed to be incompatible? Does this mean something didn't work? I really can't tell! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

VandalCrown

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just so folks know, when I was doing the import, the Gateway Patcher said something to the effect of, the rom already has a header on it. But I didn't read anything about that being an issue and pressed 'apply' anyway.

VandalCrown

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But isn't the fact that I have access to my old save (the game I was working on prior to converting) evidence of it not working? I thought .3dz roms made .3ds saves obsolete?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    B @ btjunior: i love sigma meals, skibidi slicers!!