JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Never said DUMB, I said it is a joke. No right to opinion huh? Does it make me a racist next? Or something else? It is my 1st Amendment right, and does not break the rules of the site either. People tried to create/sell programs for the 360. One was to modify hard drives from PC. Some made free tools but somebody made it a BIT better and so people cracked it;-) People get code all the time, will he file a lawsuit? What if it is released "Anonymously"? I get the whole, "Play GC games on here but not helping piracy." However, Nintendo would prefer somebody BUY A GC instead of writing a program to avoid that. So, not entirely innocent and sort of hypocritical also. "No piracy, just pirate a system."

Maybe people who support emulators should not promote piracy for SNES and Genesis games? What about Dolphin on PC? Everyone loves that but does not see this as pure hypocrisy? For not liking it, that is my opinion. He/she wrote it, congrats, so righteous of them considering they are bypassing a SYSTEM with their program. Again, did not say DUMB, they are obviously smart being able to code. I respect that part.
Calm down. The reason he's upset is because people bitch about this all the time, when they should respect him for staying true to his values.

Imagine for a moment that you hate piracy. Would you want to release an app that would promote piracy? Of course not. tueidj found a way to share his work without promoting piracy, and literally only requiring an extra 5 seconds of your time, at most. How fucking hard is it to insert the disc ONE time?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Calm down. The reason he's upset is because people bitch about this all the time, when they should respect him for staying true to his values.

Imagine for a moment that you hate piracy. Would you want to release an app that would promote piracy? Of course not. tueidj found a way to share his work without promoting piracy, and literally only requiring an extra 5 seconds of your time, at most. How fucking hard is it to insert the disc ONE time?

Then I ask you a couple of questions, what happens to those people who want to use Devolution but either A, don't have a working DVD drive on their Wii consoles or B, have all the discs scratched from the years of usage?

Surely, tudeidj doesn't honestly expect those who use the program to have mint condition discs and a Wii with a working DVD ROM drive? Most users neither have the skills or the patience to replace a broken DVD drive. Self-entitlement be damned, if we have to respect tudeidj, he should at least have the balls to take broken DVD drives and scratched discs into consideration.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still, piracy of a system is still piracy. Hurts GameCube sales. People with original discs should buy GC to play them. Nobody has a way to spin this detail? Delete all emulators and all roms. You did not rip from cartridges you own and are bypassing system if you don't own it. Still piracy. Uninstall usb loaders also and use original discs. Buy new system randomizer. Sarcasm here. Still, Nintendo did not release emulation tools used or code used for you so still piracy. Hypocritical. Feels better to only do this? Nobody should claim morals while breaking them;-0

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That one time can be difficult. The disc can be lost, stolen, damaged, misplaced, in storage, in another state even, lent out, or not even bought. The discs can be anywhere. People might have left them with their parents while they moved somewhere else. Piracy of Gamecube games led to the purchase of Wii and Wii U games, and the consoles themselves. Why would I bother installing Devolution just to play the games that I still have the discs for? If I really want to play a GameCube again, I will set up Dios-MioS Lite. Or I will just wait, because after a couple years, there will be a full featured, Wii U GameCube emulator. But even when that comes out, I will just check it out only time probably, as I don't really have time to play GC games. I can't even play my new games.

With the console this old, and with most of the people who would want these games being poor children who can't buy more games, being anti-piracy actually steals future profits from Nintendo. If you let a 14 year old pirate say SkyWard Sword now, they may, when they have money at 18, decide to buy the newest Zelda. But not letting these kids have the old games, they will be used to not having them, and they won't buy the new ones when they are adults.

But whatever, I didn't want to argue about this.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For like the 84th time, if your shit's broken you wouldn't be able to play them anyways.

He doesn't HAVE to do anything for you.

I think if people buy a game, they are entitled to be able to play it forever. If they machine dies or the disc is scratched, I feel they still deserve a copy of the game. My copy of Brawl was stolen, but I still feel entitled to it. If I play a copy, I feel zero guilt.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I think if people buy a game, they are entitled to be able to play it forever. If they machine dies or the disc is scratched, I feel they still deserve a copy of the game. My copy of Brawl was stolen, but I still feel entitled to it. If I play a copy, I feel zero guilt.
Doesn't mean some random guy out there has to build his shit a specific way because you want him to.

Reactions: OncleJulien

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No, he doesn't have to do anything for us. But I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I released a program like that with those restrictions. I would want everyone to be able to enjoy my program, however they want according to their own morals. It's not my job to decide what is right and wrong. If someone has $10, I would rather they spend it on Wii Ware, then give it to greedy GameStop or random dude on Ebay. That way, someone gets rewarded for making a new game. Used game sales are really the same as piracy as far as reward to the makers goes. As gamecube sales right now would be used, so piracy can no longer hurt new game sales. Forcing people to buy old used games actually steals from the people making the newer games who don't get their games bought because their customers ran out of budget.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't mean some random guy out there has to build his shit a specific way because you want him to.

No he doesn't have too. But it also doesn't mean we can't disagree with him. This whole thing will be moot in 3 years and when someone else actually makes a proper Gamecube player for the Wii U running on the GamePad, upscaled to 1080p. Then no one will remember this guy.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still, piracy of a system is still piracy. Hurts GameCube sales. People with original discs should buy GC to play them. Nobody has a way to spin this detail? Delete all emulators and all roms. You did not rip from cartridges you own and are bypassing system if you don't own it. Still piracy. Uninstall usb loaders also and use original discs. Buy new system randomizer. Sarcasm here. Still, Nintendo did not release emulation tools used or code used for you so still piracy. Hypocritical. Feels better to only do this? Nobody should claim morals while breaking them;-0

What gamecube sales? The ones developers don't get? I ripped only games I own thank you very much. USB HDD loading is more convenient and less wear and tear on the DVD drive and laser. Ripping games you own for personal use !=piracy. Downloading gamecube games is illegal by virtue of copyright, and because you don't own the game in question. None of the developers get money from the games, only second-hand retailers do.

I own all the games I have on my HDD yes, but I shouldn't have to insert/eject twenty games twenty times to swap back and forth. And besides, haven't there been numerous issues with games not verifying properly with read issues? I'll await Dios Mios now that audio streaming is being worked on.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What gamecube sales? The ones developers don't get? I ripped only games I own thank you very much. USB HDD loading is more convenient and less wear and tear on the DVD drive and laser. Ripping games you own for personal use !=piracy. Downloading gamecube games is illegal by virtue of copyright, and because you don't own the game in question. None of the developers get money from the games, only second-hand retailers do.

I own all the games I have on my HDD yes, but I shouldn't have to insert/eject twenty games twenty times to swap back and forth. And besides, haven't there been numerous issues with games not verifying properly with read issues? I'll await Dios Mios now that audio streaming is being worked on.
The idea is that Nintendo intended for GC games to be played on a GC, GBA to be played on GBA, GB on GB, etc. You get the point here. If they sell on their store and those official sales work on the Wii and now Wii U, that is Nintendo's business. If system breaks, get it repaired or buy another; by law and what Nintendo intended. Nintendo never released an emulator to play games on PC and never intended for anyone to release homebrew to work on Wii/Wii U (vWii currently).

All reasons aside, it is rationalization people are using. You had it stolen, so report it and get another copy. Disc scratched? Did you do this by being careless or did the GC or Wii/Wii U drive do it? If you did it then it is your stupidity, if the drive did it then tell Nintendo--maybe they replace game (doubtful). Still by law this is your path on such things. Anything involving HBC, uninstall it; it opens up piracy and runs programs not authorized by Nintendo. If people want to take moral high ground then this is how it would work per laws (state/federal/etc). The law does not give an out for a scratched game or defective drive. Get Nintendo to repair it or buy another GC system, lmfao. The person who released a program that checks discs is like saying, "I stole the computer...but am leaving the password on it that only I have." Even if a one time auth, that seems silly. If run on Wii U, it cannot even read the GC discs, right? Wii had built in GC emulator (basically), just as Wii U does the same with the Wii. So really, there is no reason to circumvent anything. It is all illegal per Nintendo. It is immature and illegal, and quite amusing to make something in an act of piracy (a system emulator) and then leave in an auth, lmfao.

Coder does what he/she wants, but I call it a joke. I get the rationalizations of it all but on the other hand, the maker is saying, "No piracy" while pirating a system and circumventing Nintendo licensing..."Piracy." I've heard people say this works best right, this program? For GC games? I no longer own GC games but I read people complaining about compatibility and how one that works VERY WELL is locked down. Lol, maybe it makes people feel better that original games are still needed...but it is still piracy. Going 80% of the way and not the last 20% to feel better about yourself? I left it simply as, "A joke" before. Never said dumb;-)

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One more thing. Since the maker of this program is pirating a system, who are they to complain if somebody PIRATES THEIR SOFTWARE and makes it work with vWii while removing disc verification;-) "I steal from Nintendo and pirate a system...but nobody should take my code and modify it." Almost leads me to believe those with the skills did it to begin with. Surprised some devs have not done this already.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
One more thing. Since the maker of this program is pirating a system, who are they to complain if somebody PIRATES THEIR SOFTWARE and makes it work with vWii while removing disc verification;-) "I steal from Nintendo and pirate a system...but nobody should take my code and modify it." Almost leads me to believe those with the skills did it to begin with. Surprised some devs have not done this already.
He knows that some people will want to crack it. He only asks that they not talk about cracking it in the main thread, because it's for feedback and bug reports.

Devolution has a separate "why add AP?" thread where people have tried to crack it. He knows people will try it anyways.

However, those that have succeeded have answered (when asked) that they will not release it out of respect for the guy, just use it themselves.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HBC (and other such non-loader homebrew) is legal. Nintendo isn't adding checks and removals for it out of legal concern, it's out of their own personal concern.
If Nintendo wanted it then they would add it in. Also, they would not try to block/remove it. Then whatever runs on HBC is not authorized or licensed by Nintendo. Read legal disclaimers. My point is people argue morality while breaking the law. Just 80% though, not the other 20%. I want HBC, I like homebrew, dying for it on WiiU. HOWEVER, I am not some hypocrite saying that is altogether okay and that I am doing right by law/Nintendo by leaving one little lock in a homebrew app, lmfao. Surely you see this. Different of opinion, not personal. The whole, "He is true to his morals" is actually true; hypocrite. Steal here, just don't open it up there? I use emulators, just saying that those thinking this all is legal as long as you leave in one auth is about as slippery of a slope as one could have morally.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He knows that some people will want to crack it. He only asks that they not talk about cracking it in the main thread, because it's for feedback and bug reports.

Devolution has a separate "why add AP?" thread where people have tried to crack it. He knows people will try it anyways.

However, those that have succeeded have answered (when asked) that they will not release it out of respect for the guy, just use it themselves.
Good points.

Final thought; respect a pirates work and Nintendo by not showing how to make it work? Lol, just sticking with my sarcasm...devil's advocate here.

FINAL FINAL edit; devs on all systems have done this. Keep a bit of the pie for themselves. not released certain things and the justification is always hypocrisy and "I have it, ha ha, you won't." Only my view, meaningless in larger picture. Venting is good for the soul.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: im pretty stupid and my wii u isn't working right after installing sdusb