Hacking Idea: When Wii U is hacked, port a Wii emulator to it for HD Wii gaming

Goku Junior

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If you want Wii and Gamecube games at a higher resolution than you can get natively from the console, you can either build a nice PC to run dolphin and run the games at a higher internal resolution, or you can get an upscaler like the xrgb-mini.

The first, it is expensive to get the games in 1080p with no frames drops, and it isn't the same experincie than playing it a console, and for the second, isn't that similar to the upscale that make the Wii U now? I don't know the xrgb-mini what exactly does, that's why I'm asking.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first, it is expensive to get the games in 1080p with no frames drops, and it isn't the same experincie than playing it a console, and for the second, isn't that similar to the upscale that make the Wii U now? I don't know the xrgb-mini what exactly does, that's why I'm asking.
Yes, a PC is more expensive, but the quality improvement is better than anything you're gonna get elsewhere as you get it running at a higher native resolution. Dolphin will work with your Wii controllers if you have a bluetooth module, so you shouldn't have an experience problem there, and for Gamecube, you can always get a USB adapter.

As for the xrgb-mini, it has better scaling hardware built into it than you'll get from letting the Wii U scale up or making a TV do it. It give you a lot of options in how you want to do the scaling, as well.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
From how you talk, you must be making a modchip or involved in it. Sure, the hack is the enemy then. I WONDER then why "Venom" would try to call out f0f for not releasing something in their nfo file? "Ha ha, I made this, where are you with unlocking the system" kind of idea. I can see why that looks like a ploy. Of course, it is the moral thing to do; sell hardware to PIRATE only, without cultivating homebrew, and make money off of that. That has always been the spirit behind old school types who wanted freedom and hated restrictions on hardware;-)

Well it's certainly always been linked to piracy... homebrew/demo-coding kinda side by side in the early console days it looks like but they also all advertised flashcarts for sale in their nfo's.. some groups released FOR the ads rather than the other way around like Fairlight or arguably Paradox.. it only became a 'taboo' quite recently in the last 10 years if anything with groups like f0f and their misleading presentations about consoles being hacked for linux and not piracy (yeah right you could slant it that way). Even Datel or the most legitimate organizations know where the money is... the whole moral console hacker movement is a bit weird and especially when they keep their work entirely to show off in a presentation (without the actual code). It's not even in the typical scene spirit i think. Money's always been there for better or for worse. Even outside of the console scene its arguably worse with torrent sites and the amount of money rotating around the whole of 'piracy' in modern times.

GW have actually said the ultimate goal was allowing code too, but its hard to balance those two things and keep their actual profitable part secure.. i think when it goes too far is like 2 examples - True Blue PS3 encrypted games being sold on the streets, and the first DS mode hack games being encrypted. It's just bound to get people in trouble anyway being that blatant if it lasted. Anyway interesting post. I don't know what f0f expected when they enabled piracy on the biggest selling system ever; least it had somewhat of a homebrew scene.

Ironic, people once modded for freedom. Boot, run, program for hardware. Now parasites still go for pure piracy and to "prevent" piracy, everyone is stuck with locked box and no chance for homebrew.

Nah they didn't. Back in the day it was just the Chinese with the ability to make the actual hardware thats all and code just ran anyway. If they had to choose between the 2 its piracy all the way, look at the N64 scene which you would have barely heard about cause it was 99% piracy. Groups advertised flashcarts, some even sold silvers of games. Xbox1 had the modern homebrew scene established and it's mostly based around piracy anyway! Emulators to play games you didn't buy, xbmc to watch your downloaded films/tv shows. Proof of concept hacking is always going on but thats not what modding systems was ever about.

pokeparadox

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, a PC is more expensive, but the quality improvement is better than anything you're gonna get elsewhere as you get it running at a higher native resolution. Dolphin will work with your Wii controllers if you have a bluetooth module, so you shouldn't have an experience problem there, and for Gamecube, you can always get a USB adapter.

As for the xrgb-mini, it has better scaling hardware built into it than you'll get from letting the Wii U scale up or making a TV do it. It give you a lot of options in how you want to do the scaling, as well.

Believe me if I had the spare cash to upgrade my desktop PC, I would do so... but for now I'm just hope and wait that hopefully someone that has the knowledge to do so has a trick to output Wiimode in HD on the WiiU.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte