Gaming idea: Pokemon battles through augmented reality

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was thinking, it would be awesome, if they started selling special pokemon cards that have a code on them. Then when you view the code with the camera through an augmented reality game, a pokeball would pop up. On the screen you'd hit the button, and a pokemon would pop out. And if you have 2 or more, you can have them battle each other, that would be so badass.

admotonic

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
That would be pretty cool but I don't think anyting like that would come out. I don't really have a reason for it not to come out at this stage but I just have a feeling. But who knows?

thebigboss14

Trophies
Website
thebigboss14.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
Sounds cool but for now it won't be real maybe around 2012 or beyond because they are working in other stuff. It would be awesome if you could be awesome if you could transfer the Pokemos from your card to you game too and like have an special board where you could do lots of stuff with them. There are many possibilities but a few opportunities so let's just wait what the future holds for us.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hop2089 said:
Would never catch on in the West, the AR function is more popular with Japanese audiences.

I disagree, I think with AR implemented right into the device it has a much greater chance of catching on, as opposed to say the e-reader where if you thought you might want to get into that kind of thing you had to buy it seperately, and even though it never really caught on, it had a lot of features, so considering this has a better chance of catching on I think there will be even more features.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Zarxrax said:
Hop2089 said:
Would never catch on in the West, the AR function is more popular with Japanese audiences.
Wtf? How can you say it's more popular with the Japanese when it hasn't even been released yet?
There has been some augmented reality stuff before, and it never got popular here.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
Zarxrax said:
Hop2089 said:
Wtf? How can you say it's more popular with the Japanese when it hasn't even been released yet?
There has been some augmented reality stuff before, and it never got popular here.

not true, it just needs the right gimmick and the right audience. Shortly after blink-182 reunited, they did an augmented reality thing for doritos where if you had a bag with the code on it and held it to a camera connected to your pc, a concert of them performing two songs would pop up. Amongst the blink fanbase this was pretty big and pretty awesome, I would know considering I'm a huge fan and frequent blink message boards often. You just need an audience, and pokemon definitely has an audience, and what do you bet that a large portion of the pokemon fanbase will purchase a 3DS?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Not just a gimmick, but a consistent one. If they were to do some update every 2 weeks or something using it, it would at least get people into the cycle of seeing something happen with it on a regular basis, so when a big title uses it, they'll already be familiar with it.

IchigoK2031

Wannabe Shirow Miwa...
Trophies
Website
yuukouken.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
The concept is already here, there's an AR defense game on the iPhone(just as an example) that uses a piece of paper, the app recognizes it through the camera, and creates a tower where the paper is. The game is based around said tower.

G

geenlung

I'm guessing that if it is implemented for Pokemon, they would just give you a rare Pokemon of some sort (maybe with some fancy 5s CG movie), like those given at movie promotions or Nintendo events. The post-game add-ons for the main Pokemon games have never been too elaborate.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IchigoK2031 said:
The concept is already here, there's an AR defense game on the iPhone(just as an example) that uses a piece of paper, the app recognizes it through the camera, and creates a tower where the paper is. The game is based around said tower.
God that sounds neat. TD games are one of my niches, and if I had a iDevice with a camera I would get that.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
IchigoK2031 said:

What game is it? Sounds interesting...

cocomonk22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Already been done:

This concept from CES 2009 just uses normal Pokémon cards, all the information about the Pokémon model and abilities are stored in the software.

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
I could see this being big in Japan, and possibly starting off well in the West and failing within a year. But this does sound awesome!
Just watched the video and it is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, but this is just a bad idea. I already have to spend (if I legally buy) $35 for a Pokemon game on the DS. But some people want to spend $70 for both games in that collection (like Black and White, Red and Blue, etc). Plus you'll have to buy slightly older games to get all the Pokemon, not to mention drive out to miscellaneous Pokemon events just to get one Pokemon. You also need two DS's as well. Buying lame trading cards and scanning them for getting a Pokemon sounds like an idea that would've been presented in the series of fad games that Pokemon had in the 90's. It's just another lame way to get people to spend more money on Pokemon.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
cocomonk22 said:
Already been done:
-Video snip-

This concept from CES 2009 just uses normal Pokémon cards, all the information about the Pokémon model and abilities are stored in the software.
That looks awesome. I'm sure the demonstration wasn't realtime. It just didn't seem like it was. It was like it acted on queue with the demonstrator pressing a button or something, without any lag or anything.

I have a shitload of Pokemon cards still, so that would be awesome to test out if it gets released.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again