Hacking [Idea] Map of users who would be willing to help others install CFW on 11.4/11.5 Systems

Do you think this is a good idea? I would like to hear your opinion

• No, this is a bad idea period!

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • No, Tempers might share too much information which could lead to BIG problems

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • Yes, It would be a way to help others on 11.4/11.5

Votes: 15 27.3%

• Total voters

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
I did it for a while locally (for a fee because it's spending my damn time doing it - 3 hours is not easy). (Note: I did a lot of pre-DSiWare CFW installation as well).

0) People expect it to be done quickly.
1) People don't listen/read - I provided a pdf of features and "more info" and that was mostly ignored. (I just had a client from last year complain that her Luma3DS installation stopped working - it was still on Luma 5.5 and she updated ofw before updating to 7.05 - I didn't have enough time to switch her to BS9 although.)
2) NNIDs are annoying. I used to do the system transfers with a system with no NNID and that wipes the info from systems anyhow...so yeah.
3) People want technical support for free. I just did one client's today, and she offered a cup of coffee. No thanks.

If I thought of helping out - I would probably just do the barebones DSiWare transfer (modify the save, pop the info on the sd card and send it back).

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been listening to everyone's comments and concerns. I still do not know if i will make such a thread so i wanted to make a mock thread and get your opinion about how everything will work. Here is what i have...

Map of Tempers willing to help others install CFW on their 3DS

I understand there are a lot of people on this site that missed the boat when it came to installing Custom Firmware (CFW) on their 3DS. For those of you who updated their system to 11.4/11.5, it might seem all hope is lost. Well, hopefully the fine folks here on the Temp can help you out.

What is this thread?
This thread is for users with 11.4/11.5 firmware that desire to have CFW on their 3DS. Tempers listed here have offered to help some locals in their area with CFW installation.

How is this done?
Below is a "map" of Tempers who have "offered" their services to anyone who is local to them. They are split into two categories.
-Those willing to meet an individual and hack there 3DS in person
-Those willing to hack an individual's 3DS, but only through postage
They will use a method (WHICH EVERYONE SHOULD READ UP ON HERE... ) called DSi Transfer. This process is longer than a normal <11.3 CFW installation but just as effective

Sounds great! How can I sign up to help others?
I suggest DM-ing me either through Discord or Gbatemp. There we can talk about what group you would like to be put into as well as
how much information you would like to share with the forum.

Sharing Information?
This is the controversial part of this. Putting out information on the general area you live in can be very scary and bad! That is why the information given must be vague. For an example, I live in the United States in the state of Arkansas. I live in the North west part of it. That is as much as i would be willing to share. If you do not feel like going that far with information, then maybe the second option is for you. If you would be willing to share your current country as well as state or Provence, then maybe helping someone hack a 3DS through postage is more to your liking.

I'm someone who needs some help and there is someone nearby that is willing to help.
Okay, this is the most important thing to talk about and for many reasons. MANY tempers have complained about helping other people in the past with
hacking their 3DS. After hearing their horror stories, people asking for help can be pretty terrible people. If you are someone who needs help, the two
sections below, you must READ and AGREE with.

Etiquette
I like to belive that people in this world can be responsible and respectful towards others.... and then i wake up in the morning.
These people are spending THEIR time to help you. The most you can do is be patient, respectful, and for PETE'S SAKE, DO YOUR OWN FRIGGEN RESEARCH. Everything that you would ever need to know exists on this site. That is also why their exists a Noob Thread here. PLEASE READ AND ASK QUESTIONS HERE. If you act this way to a person who is willing to help, then keep in mind that they can pack their bags and leave a job unfinished. Heck I would suggest the person helping PURPOSELY brick your system. Keep that in mind when asking someone for help...

Compensation
Another thing to keep in mind is that these people are spending their time hacking your system. Since they are providing some sort of service, it should
be expected that they would like something in return. Whether it be for the DSi game, the drive to a local place with wifi, the postage costs, or the general time spent hacking the system, the person helping you should be compensated. This compensation can be decided upon when asking an individual for help.
Keep in mind, these people want to help and don't want to scam you out of your 3DS or money.

BuT StEpHanO, yOu DiNGuS, nTrBOoThAx iS reLEasINg SoOn. WhY mAKe ThIS THreAD?!?!?

Well.... it's very much possible this thread will be irrelevant as soon as it releases. But until that day comes, i would like to help anyone that i can. :)

That all being said, we are here to help. Below is a map of the world with people all around it wanting to help. If you see someone nearby, give them a holler and maybe having homebrew on your 3DS won't be just a dream after all.

• Joey Fedorawittz
  • Temper #420
  • Justin Trudeau's Second Cousin

• Some Cosplayer

______

Alright! Here it is. What do you think. If i were to do this, (I may not) what changes would y'all like to see to this mock post?

Last edited by Stephano,

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would just like to point out that DSiwareHax will definitely not be dead when BootNTRHax is released. It works the same way, if you are on a stock system you still need additional hardware with permissions to flash the exploit to the card. These people won't just be able to buy a flashcard, download a file and insert it. You still need CFW/Powersaves/DSi/DSLite.

Granted, people will most likely sell pre-flashed cards but I see that becoming a problem when updates/fixes are released later. Buy one and you'll have no idea what version of the exploit is present, or maybe it will be some sort of brick code. Meh, I don't trust people as much as I used to. I should stay off r/. Lol

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would just like to point out that DSiwareHax will definitely not be dead when BootNTRHax is released. It works the same way, if you are on a stock system you still need additional hardware with permissions to flash the exploit to the card. These people won't just be able to buy a flashcard, download a file and insert it. You still need CFW/Powersaves/DSi/DSLite.

Granted, people will most likely sell pre-flashed cards but I see that becoming a problem when updates/fixes are released later. Buy one and you'll have no idea what version of the exploit is present, or maybe it will be some sort of brick code. Meh, I don't trust people as much as I used to. I should stay off r/. Lol
I never really considered that. That notice won't be in the thread. (if there is one)
Besides that, is there anything you would like to add or change?

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never really considered that. That notice won't be in the thread. (if there is one)
Besides that, is there anything you would like to add or change?
No, it actually looks pretty good to me. Also, you're welcome to add me to the list of people willing to install *HAX* via DSiWare. I'll be getting rid of one of my extra CFW consoles taking up space sooner or later but I might as well use it to help some people in the meantime. I'll PM you my info when you decide to create the thread so just let me know.

Reactions: Stephano

Omegapsy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm willing to do this also. I've already done one for a user on here already and it went really smoothly. I'm at work at the moment but I'll pm you for gathering the right info either tonight or tomorrow.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Just a few more words of advice, make sure kids are accompanied by adults, you might not have any ill intent, but if their parents hear you lured their kid out to meet them somewhere with the promise of free games, you may very well find yourself getting a knock on the door and having to answer some very awkward questions.

You may also face people who end up bricking their device being stupid who then proceed to demand a replacement console from you or they will call the cops and tell them you attacked them or some weird crap, generally that's why I wouldn't offer any free/dirt cheap things as you often find people looking for the cheapest / free methods are usually kids or slightly psychotic people, putting the price up slightly filters out the crazies and/or forces the kids to have to consult with their parents, people who expect services for free/cheap generally don't hold other people's time with any sort of respect

Last edited by gamesquest1,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I would be willing to do it by mail (Norway)
I have a spare 3DS I could use for it.
There was a similar service in the past for FreeMCBoot installs, though shipping a small memory card is a bit easier than shipping a console.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a few more words of advice, make sure kids are accompanied by adults, you might not have any ill intent, but if their parents hear you lured their kid out to meet them somewhere with the promise of free games, you may very well find yourself getting a knock on the door and having to answer some very awkward questions.

You may also face people who end up bricking their device being stupid who then proceed to demand a replacement console from you or they will call the cops and tell them you attacked them or some weird crap, generally that's why I wouldn't offer any free/dirt cheap things as you often find people looking for the cheapest / free methods are usually kids or slightly psychotic people, putting the price up slightly filters out the crazies and/or forces the kids to have to consult with their parents, people who expect services for free/cheap generally don't hold other people's time with any sort of respect
Oh my goodness, I never thought about adults!!! Thank you for reminding me! As for price, I feel like it's up to the one helping to decide the price.

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, i mean.... Sure!
If you have a tiny CRT that you want to bring along, then by all means go ahead! :creep:
Why would I bring a TV, if I was the one doing the modding?

Yeah the point was many people here are children and directing children to go visit a stranger's house could put them at risk
Oh yeah. Good point. Postal installation?
Also, some of the installers are also children.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would I bring a TV, if I was the one doing the modding?

Oh yeah. Good point. Postal installation?
Also, some of the installers are also children.
Well, I never intended the instalation to be at anyone's house. There are plenty of places with free wifi that can be used.

It's more like, the two people either A.) meet up at a chic-fil-a or McDonalds or something
B.) go through the postage route

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, if this gets turned into a general help thread, then what section should it go under. I'm still thinking of leaving it under 3DS and adding something like
"3DS DSI help (and other consoles too!)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Tripple posting!!!!!!!
One last thing, I'll be adding and making changes to the big post above me. So if you have any input as to what I should change or add, please tell me now. I'll be changing it later today! :)

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honesty, this is the 3DS section. There are other sections on this site for other consoles. If someone wants to offer services for those consoles I highly doubt you're going to find people in this section Lol. Yeah, we all might have multiple systems etc, but there is a reason there are separate areas of the forum for such things. Let's just stick with DS consoles here please.

Reactions: Stephano

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I did it for a while locally (for a fee because it's spending my damn time doing it - 3 hours is not easy). (Note: I did a lot of pre-DSiWare CFW installation as well).

0) People expect it to be done quickly.
1) People don't listen/read - I provided a pdf of features and "more info" and that was mostly ignored. (I just had a client from last year complain that her Luma3DS installation stopped working - it was still on Luma 5.5 and she updated ofw before updating to 7.05 - I didn't have enough time to switch her to BS9 although.)
2) NNIDs are annoying. I used to do the system transfers with a system with no NNID and that wipes the info from systems anyhow...so yeah.
3) People want technical support for free. I just did one client's today, and she offered a cup of coffee. No thanks.

If I thought of helping out - I would probably just do the barebones DSiWare transfer (modify the save, pop the info on the sd card and send it back).
I have a question. What do you mean in point 2 about "I used to do the system transfers with a system with no NNID and that wipes the info from systems anyhow"? I've made several DSiWare transfers with no NNID in the past and they've all been successful without losing my data in my source console (restoring a NAND backup of course), and the target console should be formatted before the transfer anyway, if they have a NNID linked.

Also, nowadays the process from start to end shouldn't take more than 1 hour. Anyway, I understand your stance about it.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something that I have been neglecting this whole time is the poll. As of now it's very split on whethor or not this should be a thing. If anyone voted no, why is that. I don't want any risks so I would like to hear your opinion

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol