PS1/2 I hope the PS3 Slim never gets hacked

godsakes

Trophies
XP
Country
nIxx said:
Because they now have a reason Linux allowed Homebrew without hacking anything.
not really, although linux could be installed, you never got near full access to it's hardware - there's always been incentive to fully hack the PS3 further

Old Reprobate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would buy a playstation 3 if there was a hack for it, and I believe alot more people feel the the same way. Because Its not about the games or the end process the console provides, allthough very fun in its own right, its about the personal satifaction of figuring out the hack and having something unique to show your peers.

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you know, u may be right... alot of my friends nowadays just get consoles to "hack" them... but in a sense, they do it to show their personality and individuality. Hacking is more than a piracy term. Piracy is just what hacking became.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old Reprobate said:
I would buy a playstation 3 if there was a hack for it, and I believe alot more people feel the the same way. Because Its not about the games or the end process the console provides, allthough very fun in its own right, its about the personal satifaction of figuring out the hack and having something unique to show your peers.
there is no hacking on your end

the end result is talking advantage of exploits that an actual hacker found and released program(s) that are somewhat n00b proof and instructions (and then there will be many many fan made faqs) to open them up

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Giga_Gaia said:
60 GB PS3 > All PS3 Models

20 GB: has hardware compatibility with PS1/PS2, Support Linux OS, but no memory card reader, no wifi (really low space on top of it)

40 GB: No backward compatibility at all for PS2, but support Linux OS

60 GB: has hardware backward compatibility for ps1/ps2 and support Linux OS.

80 GB: Software emulation for PS2 (bad), Support Linux OS

120 GB Slim: Can't play PS2 games at all (not sure about PS1), No more Linux support.

160 GB: Can't play PS2 games, Linux OS Suport.

So there you have it, the 60 GB is the superior model, it has everything. If you wanna complain about your harddrive being low on space, well, change it, I have a 250GB in my PS3 (60 GB model), it's great.

Are you sure about this? I think there are at least 2 different 60GB revsions. And only the 1st 60GB version had both ps2 chips, all other ps3s that are ps2 compatible have 1 ps2 chip and do the "software" emulation.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm also waiting for the ps3 to finally meet its match, with either a softmod, or a modchip that would finally let it play burned games.

At this point, even if it meant only being able to play burned ps2 and ps1 games would work fine for me, because it would mean I could finally retire my modchipped ps2 (thank you, matrix infinity FTW!
smileipb2.png
).

And TC has a lot of nerve. I for one have had to give sony my money FOUR times with just the PS3. First two had critical problems within the first 30 days, and the third's GPU failed on me. Then paying $ony $150 USD before they'd even look at the thing to see if ti could be repaired.

Granted, I did get a *new* one back. But paying nearly $2000 USD for ONE, *working* 60GB model is ridiculous.
dry.gif
hate2.gif
($540 + $540 + $550 + $150...
wacko.gif
)

Is it really too much to ask Sony to only have to buy ONE console each generation that will still work like it should down the road? More
gba.gif
, less
hate2.gif

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ZeWarrior said:
luke_c said:
wat? The 60GB and 80GB Emulation is exactly the same, and all models Emulate PSX and run Linux OS other than the Slim.

They really aren't. The 60GB has essentially an actual PS2 inside of it with the EE and the GS. The 80GB is missing the EE so it only has half the parts, which leaves the PS3s software to do the rest.
That only applies to the NTSC (Japan and US) 60GB models. The 60GB model released to other regions (PAL/EU/etc.), is functionally the same as the 80GB softBC models.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
codezer0 said:
I'm also waiting for the ps3 to finally meet its match, with either a softmod, or a modchip that would finally let it play burned games.

At this point, even if it meant only being able to play burned ps2 and ps1 games would work fine for me, because it would mean I could finally retire my modchipped ps2 (thank you, matrix infinity FTW!
smileipb2.png
).

And TC has a lot of nerve. I for one have had to give sony my money FOUR times with just the PS3. First two had critical problems within the first 30 days, and the third's GPU failed on me. Then paying $ony $150 USD before they'd even look at the thing to see if ti could be repaired.

Granted, I did get a *new* one back. But paying nearly $2000 USD for ONE, *working* 60GB model is ridiculous.
dry.gif
hate2.gif
($540 + $540 + $550 + $150...
wacko.gif
)

Is it really too much to ask Sony to only have to buy ONE console each generation that will still work like it should down the road? More
gba.gif
, less
hate2.gif

Are you trolling?

Don't you get 1 year warranty or similar on the ps3? I doubt that you don't get that in the US. Here in germany you get warranty from sony(just don't know how long, it's either 1 or 2 years) and 2 years(don't know the word in english) warranty from the shop where you bought it.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tropicana said:
Charging ridiculous costs for each of their products (NO SONY, 249 USD DOES NOT EQUAL 249 EURO),

At current conversion rates, 249 dollars is 168 euros. US price is before Tax, euro prices include Vat.
Maximum Vat in EU is 25%, which takes you to 210 euros. When you take into account the higher cost of living ( so you need to pay people more in the supply chain & at retail ) then it's not so outrageous. You could ask the rest of the population of your country to take a paycut, if you want cheaper goods. They may get upset if you don't take a paycut too though, so relatively you still will think it's expensive.

QUOTE(WiiPower @ Sep 22 2009, 12:24 PM) Don't you get 1 year warranty or similar on the ps3? I doubt that you don't get that in the US.

In the UK you get 1 year warranty on a new console, then after that it's £128 to get it replaced & that comes with a 3 month warranty.

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yeah Sony´s warranty is a joke at least for PSP´s if the thing breaks because of a mechanical or electric fault (well how should it else break) you have to pay them 120 € to get it repaired or a replacement.

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DaMummy said:
hackablility sells systems, just look at the wii and its trillions of sales to everybody and their grandmother
ya true. because of the wii's hackability they made large scale sales for the unit...but bad for the software game making companies. how would the gaming industry survive without any gaming company making quality games in the future because they are bankrupt due to hacking.

i do also hope that the ps3 slim never gets hacked.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
Are you trolling?

Don't you get 1 year warranty or similar on the ps3? I doubt that you don't get that in the US. Here in germany you get warranty from sony(just don't know how long, it's either 1 or 2 years) and 2 years(don't know the word in english) warranty from the shop where you bought it.
Couldn't.

By the time I could afford *A* PS3, Sony stopped making those with BC. I was forced to buy used.

First two were supposed to be remanufactured units from GameStop.
#1 scratched and ruined my one copy of MGS4 within a week of getting the game.
#2 was already overheating at the XMB with the fan noise, and how it screeched as soon as I started playing *any* game (be it off the disc or the hard drive).
#3 I tried buying from my brother. Worked fine for about a month, then it started locking up and getting "red snow" on the screen, indicating GPU failure.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't get the logic behind it... If you (or others) are willing to hack a DS, PSP, GC, DC, SS, Wii, PSX or PS2... why not hack a PS3?... is it somehow more sacred than the rest of the consoles?

Or is it just that -- if you have already spent considerable money on the games... seeing them available for free might smart...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol