Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
GT isn't canon. At least in my opinion.
I can agree with that honestly. I enjoyed gt, but it's not the same writers/directors, and a very different take on the series.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So, I'm about to watch this death note movie. As a death note fan, we'll see how this goes.

wolfmankurd

Trophies
XP
Country
Not if you head into it without ever watching the japanime ;)
The anime is okay, but I meant the Manga. I love the manga and own the complete set twice! I rebought it when I visited Japan haha.

Light goes from a atheletic, high flying genius to a dweebie emo douche. L goes from a brilliant detective to a dweebie emo douche. Misa goes from well... Misa to a dweebie emo douche...

Ruyk was genuinely likeable in the manga and anime but in the movie he's meh.

Reactions: WeedZ

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are some reasons:
-Characters' personalities remain consistant - Videl still has that edge, whereas they're just like, "Fuck it" in Super.
Vegeta allows Bulla to grow up as a diva and takes her shopping in GT. You are telling me his personality didn't change?

-He grew softer, but still had an edge. He's a father. No, he didn't change. His transition into human remains consistent, and the pacing is well thought out.

-Plot holes are ALL OVER THE PLACE in Super
Ditto in GT. The Black Star dragon balls make no sense to begin with. Who would make dragon balls that destroy the earth if they are not collected in a year? The plot is really contrived.

-They certainly did make sense. It may not have been the best, but it's certainly a good concept. Far better than Supers'. Is this really a make-it-or-break-it point for you? haha.

-Super is monotonous and repetitive
GT is super repetitive. It reuses so many shots in every fight - and the fights are rarely won by strategy - it's always punching each other non-stop. None of the villains have any personality.

-It's not at all repetitive!!! You need to relearn the word's meaning. And WHAT?!?! Baby has AMAZING personality, and is EASILY well known as one of the best "bad guys" in all of DB history by many.

--------

I'm stopping here, because your points are nonsensical.

Just as much as I don't go after you for your opinions on any Dragon Ball series, you shouldn't go after me because I enjoy something you loathe.
My reply was meant as a snarky joke reply, friend. :P

The anime is okay, but I meant the Manga. I love the manga and own the complete set twice! I rebought it when I visited Japan haha.

Light goes from a atheletic, high flying genius to a dweebie emo douche. L goes from a brilliant detective to a dweebie emo douche. Misa goes from well... Misa to a dweebie emo douche...

Ruyk was genuinely likeable in the manga and anime but in the movie he's meh.

BUT YES GUYS, no more GT/Super talk please. I'm going to get pissy and throw a temper tantrum like a child;)

See, the concept is neat. I guess I just don't like the media in which it's placed.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

My reply was meant as a snarky joke reply, friend. :P
He grew softer, but still had an edge. He's a father. No, he didn't change. His transition into human remains consistent, and the pacing is well thought out.
Vegeta always gave Goku crap for allowing Gohan to go soft, and you think it's within his personality to allow his own child to never cultivate fighting skill? I would not call that a natural transition at all.

They certainly did make sense. It may not have been the best, but it's certainly a good concept. Far better than Supers'. Is this really a make-it-or-break-it point for you? haha.
It's not make it or break it, but if you think Super's plot is ridiculous - I'm just pointing out that GT's is just as ridiculous.

It's not at all repetitive!!! You need to relearn the word's meaning. And WHAT?!?! Baby has AMAZING personality, and is EASILY well known as one of the best "bad guys" in all of DB history by many.
If you don't think they reuse shots in GT, watch this. These are all from one fight.

You are also the first person I've encountered who even put Baby in the top 5 villains.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He grew softer, but still had an edge. He's a father. No, he didn't change. His transition into human remains consistent, and the pacing is well thought out.
Vegeta always gave Goku crap for allowing Gohan to go soft, and you think it's within his personality to allow his own child to never cultivate fighting skill? I would not call that a natural transition at all.

They certainly did make sense. It may not have been the best, but it's certainly a good concept. Far better than Supers'. Is this really a make-it-or-break-it point for you? haha.
It's not make it or break it, but if you think Super's plot is ridiculous - I'm just pointing out that GT's is just as ridiculous.

It's not at all repetitive!!! You need to relearn the word's meaning. And WHAT?!?! Baby has AMAZING personality, and is EASILY well known as one of the best "bad guys" in all of DB history by many.
If you don't think they reuse shots in GT, watch this. These are all from one fight.

You are also the first person I've encountered who even put Baby in the top 5 villains.

No, shhhh.... we're back on topic now.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, but realize that by refusing to respond to my valid points - you are making it appear that you do not have valid counterpoints.
First, they're far from valid, lol. You're just biased toward Super and are fishing for "points".

And no, I just don't want my thread to be shut down due to off-topic-ness.

... and also, you're wrong. Like, way wrong. :)

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, they're far from valid, lol. You're just biased toward Super and are fishing for "points".

And no, I just don't want my thread to be shut down due to off-topic-ness.

... and also, you're wrong. Like, way wrong. :)
How am I biased towards super? I was born in the early 90s, and I watched GT first.

I think the real test is this. GT was cancelled after 64 episodes, and Super is still going strong at 105 (as of tonight) - so let the ratings speak for themselves.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How am I biased towards super? I was born in the early 90s, and I watched GT first.

I think the real test is this. GT was cancelled after 64 episodes, and Super is still going strong at 105 (as of tonight) - so let the ratings speak for themselves.
It wasn't "cancelled", first off. Second, your opinion of Super being better is waaay in the minority, friend.

Back on topic.

So had anyone else seen the movie yet? Anyone going in without knowing the anime?

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way he shows fear with beerus is so out of character, it ruins it for me. Vegeta had his heart ripped out by freeza, and after being revived still stood up to him. He blew himself up to try and kill buu, who had just fucked everyone up. Beerus shows up and he just rolls over. It was sad.

I feel like responding to this. Part of it is Toriyama, which I don't know if he still has some disdain for the character, but I read back then, he wanted to kill Vegeta off. He was supposed to last for only one arc, his death in Z from Frieza was to be the end, but fan response told him otherwise. It's why he's lasted so long. So if he can't kill him off, then just bitch him out every once and a while. Because Super's lighter in tone than Z (save for the Goku Black and current Universal Survival Arc), Vegeta's more prone to being basically made light of. At the same time the situation you described was more on putting over Beerus than bitching out Vegeta. In fact Vegeta did stand up...for his wife, which is really powerful. In the Goku Black arc, he shows that a bit, but definitely a lot of standing up for his son (towards the climax of said arc to be specific). Now with the current arc, I would say Vegeta is far from a bitch. I think the most bitched out he was came in the form of a really silly filler episode of Super, a crossover with Dr. Slump, not meant to be taken seriously at all, so I found his treatment there to be hilarious.

Last edited by RustInPeace,
Reactions: x65943 and WeedZ

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wasn't "cancelled", first off. Second, your opinion of Super being better is waaay in the minority, friend.

Back on topic.

So had anyone else seen the movie yet? Anyone going in without knowing the anime?
I just watched the movie tonight with my roommate after I saw your post.

They messed with the plot a lot. I was not too keen on them making Light an asocial nerd. His bout with the bully was particularly displeasing. I also couldn't stand how they made Light much more influenced by the generic high school girl (cheerleader fantasy) - rather than a cool calculating individual like in the original.

It was weird that L didn't have the same police presence he had in the anime/manga.

I was a little off put by Ryuk being much more malevolent than in the anime/manga.

P.S. It's no secret that GT had really low ratings in Japan, and that it would have continued had it enjoyed a better reception.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They messed with the plot a lot. I was not too keen on them making Light an asocial nerd. His bout with the bully was particularly displeasing. I also couldn't stand how they made Light much more influenced by the generic high school girl (cheerleader fantasy) - rather than a cool calculating individual like in the original.

It was weird that L didn't have the same police presence he had in the anime/manga.

I was a little off put by Ryuk being much more malevolent than in the anime/manga.

P.S. It's no secret that GT had really low ratings in Japan, and that it would have continued had it enjoyed a better reception.
I just realized I was being super condescending and you were just being cool and understanding in response. I like you.

Reactions: x65943

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved the Anime, bought the manga, the light novel, etc. Watched (all?) three live action movies - and then heard they were doing an American version, from what I have seen so far it looks better than the Oldboy remake, but not by much. I will probably watch it at some point, but I'm not rushing to watch it at this point.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
@Thirty3Three I was able to stream it after all. This movie has very little to do with the original story. The only similarities is the notebook and a couple characters names. The characters aren't the same, the rules are different, everything's been changed. Watch the anime. It may be a cartoon, but if you liked the movie, you'd be upgrading from a strip tease on a Web cam to a full on orgy. (Couldn't think of a better analogy )

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

The other thing is that L wasn't emotional. Light was the one that would lose his cool from time to time. And even then, no one witnessed this first hand. Light would always go somewhere private before he would freak out. There wasn't any of the cold calculating serial killer in this one, or the emotionally detached detective.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The other thing is that L wasn't emotional. Light was the one that would lose his cool from time to time. And even then, no one witnessed this first hand. Light would always go somewhere private before he would freak out. There wasn't any of the cold calculating serial killer in this one, or the emotionally detached detective.
Very true. Light and L seemed very much amateur in this movie. They let their emotions get in the way of their work, and that's totally out of character compared to the anime.

Probably the most out of character thing that happened was L contemplating killing Light - and chasing him with a gun.

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Very true. Light and L seemed very much amateur in this movie. They let their emotions get in the way of their work, and that's totally out of character compared to the anime.

Probably the most out of character thing that happened was L contemplating killing Light - and chasing him with a gun.
I had hopes when he told light that he only wins by checkmate. But that went out the window. I'm assuming Mia was supposed to be Missa. She was smarter than both of them, something very wrong there.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had hopes when he told light that he only wins by checkmate. But that went out the window. I'm assuming Mia was supposed to be Missa. She was smarter than both of them, something very wrong there.
hurr derr strong female characters you shitlord

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, then play it