Gaming I can't seem to stay interested in 3ds games for long

hisagishi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just can't seem to. The only games I have beaten are SMT IV and SMT DSO. And those I got maybe 75% of the way through and said screw it then watched a walkthrough for the rest as I was doing other things.

Anyone happen to know any good JRPGs / SRPGs that are really gripping from the get go? I have tried Fire emblem awakening and I am horrid at that, though it looks fun so I'm gonna keep at it. And I have also tried Etrian Oddessy but the movement system just isn't for me. Also tried pokemon but I mean it doesn't feel very different to the other pokemon games so meh.

fafaffy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the JRPG/SRPG genre - at least on the 3DS - isn't clicking with you. Have you tried other genres?

I'm in the same boat as you, where I can't seem to get addicted to any 3DS game... However, there's one game that I always keep coming back to, and had entertained me for hours (though it's very niche).

It's called Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX. This is a fun rhythm game where you play songs from vocaloids, such as Hatsune Miku, Kagamine Rin, and more. It's set to hit America... eventually, but the game does already exist (and is released) in Japan. Don't be afraid of this fact, though. I understand absolutely nothing of Japanese, and can traverse/play through the game just fine.

As far as anything JRPG/SRPG, there's nothing that really catches my eye on the 3DS. I will say Tales of the Abyss is - in my opinion - the best JRPG I played on the 3DS, but... it's all opinion based.

hisagishi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the JRPG/SRPG genre - at least on the 3DS - isn't clicking with you. Have you tried other genres?

I'm in the same boat as you, where I can't seem to get addicted to any 3DS game... However, there's one game that I always keep coming back to, and had entertained me for hours (though it's very niche).

It's called Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX. This is a fun rhythm game where you play songs from vocaloids, such as Hatsune Miku, Kagamine Rin, and more. It's set to hit America... eventually, but the game does already exist (and is released) in Japan. Don't be afraid of this fact, though. I understand absolutely nothing of Japanese, and can traverse/play through the game just fine.

As far as anything JRPG/SRPG, there's nothing that really catches my eye on the 3DS. I will say Tales of the Abyss is - in my opinion - the best JRPG I played on the 3DS, but... it's all opinion based.

Yeah it might take something rather different but similar to a jrpg/srpg to get me back into the more traditional ones. Or something with unique systems, like etrian odessy's ability system. I loved that part of the game.

Not a fan of vocaloid or rythm genres, thanks for the suggestion though. Only game I liked that was even slightly like a rythm game was TWEWY with the top screen button matching thing it had.

About tales, never played any of the tales games, is this new one a good place to start? I doubt I am going to go back and play any of the older ones unless this one blows me away so the whole "you should play the older ones so you appreciate the newer ones more" is a bit of a moot point.

Edit: also for anyone that knows how does Monster Hunter 4 feel playing completely solo? I want to get into it but if it is better played with friends than I have other things to spend my money on.

fafaffy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it might take something rather different but similar to a jrpg/srpg to get me back into the more traditional ones. Or something with unique systems, like etrian odessy's ability system. I loved that part of the game.

Not a fan of vocaloid or rythm genres, thanks for the suggestion though. Only game I liked that was even slightly like a rythm game was TWEWY with the top screen button matching thing it had.

About tales, never played any of the tales games, is this new one a good place to start? I doubt I am going to go back and play any of the older ones unless this one blows me away so the whole "you should play the older ones so you appreciate the newer ones more" is a bit of a moot point.

Edit: also for anyone that knows how does Monster Hunter 4 feel playing completely solo? I want to get into it but if it is better played with friends than I have other things to spend my money on.
I could never get into Monster Hunter... It simply took to long to feel like you've made any accomplishments.

However, for the tales of game, you do not need to play any of the previous franchise. As far as I'm concerned all the tales of games are isolated from each other, and have completely different stories (not stating a fact, I'm assuming).

Now, one neat thing about tales of series - that most other games lack - is "real time" combat. What I mean is, you still get into random battles within the game; think Mario and Luigi where you have monsters chasing after you, and you enter a battle scene. However, unlike Mario and Luigi, once you're in the battle scene, it's real-time combat, none of the turn-based crap most JRPG's have.

Wellington2k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does DX compare to Project Mirai 2 (if you've played it)? I've been playing 2 for a while and love it and was just wondering if it's worth the upgrade to DX.

fafaffy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does DX compare to Project Mirai 2 (if you've played it)? I've been playing 2 for a while and love it and was just wondering if it's worth the upgrade to DX.
DX I believe is just a (very) minor upgrade to 2, to be honest, it's not worth the upgrade unless you just want bragging rights of having the latest. I think there's a minigame (or a portion) where they changed 2d Sprites into the 3D models, and other minor adjustments, but that's it... Probably the reason DX is selling so poor in Japan compared to 2.

Reactions: qwerblim

Wellington2k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DX I believe is just a (very) minor upgrade to 2, to be honest, it's not worth the upgrade unless you just want bragging rights of having the latest. I think there's a minigame (or a portion) where they changed 2d Sprites into the 3D models, and other minor adjustments, but that's it... Probably the reason DX is selling so poor in Japan compared to 2.
OK, cool. I was wondering why whenever I Googled Project Mirai DX, Mirai 2 would pop up. :unsure:
Thanks a bunch for the info! I'm going to stick with 2.

hisagishi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could never get into Monster Hunter... It simply took to long to feel like you've made any accomplishments.

However, for the tales of game, you do not need to play any of the previous franchise. As far as I'm concerned all the tales of games are isolated from each other, and have completely different stories (not stating a fact, I'm assuming).

Now, one neat thing about tales of series - that most other games lack - is "real time" combat. What I mean is, you still get into random battles within the game; think Mario and Luigi where you have monsters chasing after you, and you enter a battle scene. However, unlike Mario and Luigi, once you're in the battle scene, it's real-time combat, none of the turn-based crap most JRPG's have.

Real time combat sounds interesting. I'll check it out, There any character progression? Like ability/class wise?

Also for anyones thats played it, how does Story of Seasons compare to Harvest Moon 3ds version? I've played almost all harvest moon games except the really buggy ones on the DS but I couldn't get past the slow start that Harvest moon 3ds vers had.

Rider_Kick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
OK, cool. I was wondering why whenever I Googled Project Mirai DX, Mirai 2 would pop up. :unsure:
Thanks a bunch for the info! I'm going to stick with 2.
DX includes all PVs from 2 but with the Super Deformed characters, PVs like invisible and deep sea girl are not animated in Project Mirai 2.

Wellington2k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DX includes all PVs from 2 but with the Super Deformed characters, PVs like invisible and deep sea girl are not animated in Project Mirai 2.
Do you mean to say they animated using the Nendoroid characters for the PVs that were basically videos (like The Celestial Fox)? That's... actually kinda disappointing.

qwerblim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Definitely sticking with 2 then, thanks for your post!

hisagishi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does Story of Seasons compare to Harvest Moon 3ds version? I've played almost all harvest moon games except the really buggy ones on the DS but I couldn't get past the slow start that Harvest moon 3ds vers had.

hashcheck1

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm the opposite and can get into the 3ds game and vita but never consoles or pc. Have had a gaming laptop but sold due to no use. Have wiiu and haven't finished any of my games. Perhaps when it's hacked I'm 34 so more convenient to play handheld. Addicted to streetpass but maybe I'm to old haha

Reactions: Mazamin

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Stan4d @ Stan4d: Hello! from my kindle! (supposed to be rading abook for school)