dreary79

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
After three months of playing games on the 3DS I can see 3D better. I originally played Ridge Racer with 3D off. Now I play it on all the way. I play DoA, SSFIV and Zelda all with 3D on all the way.

Are my eyes getting "3D" better? Or are my hands getting uses to holding the 3DS steady?

Is 3D getting easier for anyone else?

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could see 3D at the very beginning, but I could only do so for about 10 minutes. Now, I can do it for about 40-45 minutes. (OoT 3D)

It's surprising how fast my eyes adapted.

Rabbi Nevins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see the 3D fine but whenever i move the 3ds obviously im out of focus and cant see it anymore. And i dont know about others but its impossible for me to play without slightly moving at times. Whenever im fighting a stalfos I jerk the thing a little -.- how annoying.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The big question here, is how the hell did you pump 3 months of gaming out of a handheld that just recently got its first real game? lol

and yes, it's likely your eyes adjusted to 3D, making it easier to see.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hells Malice said:
The big question here, is how the hell did you pump 3 months of gaming out of a handheld that just recently got its first real game? lol

and yes, it's likely your eyes adjusted to 3D, making it easier to see.

Lol I remember not using my 3DS for a good month after getting bored of it in the few weeks after launch.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can always see it. Use to have it all the way up but since oot I have it almost off. I start to get a headace with 3ds on for too long. But then again I only been getting 3-4hrs of sleep a night.

I just hate that u tilt/move the 3ds a little and it gets all blured and doubled.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
I could. 3D feels like normal vision to me. (I mean, I have no difficulties seeing it)

That said, I think my eyes got so used to it now. It doesnt wow me that much anymore. :0
But playing OoT with 3D max on got me feeling like there's no screen and Im peering through A window.
laugh.gif

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The key to enjoying the 3D is RELAX. I'm 44 years old ... chances are my eyes are weaker than most of you, and I'm having a blast playing OOT. I'm not experiencing any eyestrain either, although my initial exposure to the 3DS messed with my eyes and head bigtime. It's like, your mind and eyes both expect a flat tv/monitor/screen to project a 2D image, and our minds have adapted a method of 'converting' the 2D data into a 3D mental image when necessary. Then along comes the 3DS and your mind's expectation of what should come from a flat screen is blown away, and you struggle to make your eyes somehow rectify the problem. But the 3DS is giving your eyes no more and no less than the same vision it is used to in the real world ... you've just got to relax and accept it. But I do find I get a little 'ghost' image with the slider all the way up ... I'm putting it about 80% up and everything is crystal.

The Deku tree's 3D face was truly awesome.

Gameplayer9198

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My eyes are adapted
On my first run (the 3ds setup) the 3d screen check surprised me i turned the 3d off there but now i can max it out on the 3d screen check

System Setting -> Other settings -> Tab 2 > 3D Screen Check

TCTerror

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a kind of ghosting, that is 100% the hardwares fault/flaw, and can not be solved by the consumer. (Other then turning to 2D)

It's when bright objects are close to drak objects.

From the picture on the back layer, the bright parts will shine through the front layer.
This cant be fixed by turning down the screen brightness, and can only get reduced by sliding down to less 3D.

Like bright Sunlight can make you see both layers with both eyes at the same time, the light of the layers itself can also do this for parts of the image, where you can see bright objects next to dark.

Like standing with Link in front of a big black door(in Zelda : OoT3D), in the lost forrest. If Link will stand in front of something big and dark, it's the easiest way to see this ghosting.
I think it's mainly right-shifted.
I also see it for ex. when looking at the death mountains halo at night, or well, a lot bright stuff is ghosting at night.
(I also notices this in Pilot wings resort, for ex. when seeing a big golden ring in front of a dark-brown mountain.)

--

When I bought the 3DS, i knew, it might be a challange, to always keep focus, and hold my hands still.
But this is a design flaw of the 3DS, that for me means, that this console is not able to completely & correctly display 3D graphics under all circumstances, even if you play under the best conditions, and have no fault.

Im very pissed, because I'l bet my ass Nintendo knew about this long ago.

So I can come up with only 3 solutions:

1.I have to learn to ignore this kind of contrast-ghosting. (pretty hard, because is p. me off every time i recognize it)
2. I have to turn the 3D very low, to see less ghosting, or 2D to see no ghosting.
3. Gamedesigners have to make only very bright and colourfull games, and avoid the colour black, like the black death.

---

Yes, it's often the consumers or consumer's eyes fault, why people see ghosting.
Still, there is the kind of ghosting, i and others explained here that is definitely cause by the construction of the 3DS's upper screen alone.
And this shouldn't be. It also shouldn't be publicly ignrored, by always blaming the consumer, to protect our beloved Big N.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmmm...
Haven't really noticed the 'ghosting' you talk about.
It's true your eyes adapt to the 3d though.
This afternoon me and a friend went to the cinema to a 3d movie and my friend really had trouble adapting to 3d in the beginning and I didn't.
So it apparently works for all forms of 3d.

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Is it normal to see ghost images of objects (Player objects, or anything that is an object that is not the background. Boxes, Rupees, Hearts, Balloons, Etc.) when exposed to a black background in-game? It seems every time I play a game and go into a low-lighting environment (such as caves, etc) I see a double-image of game objects.

Is this normal?

LittleBigMods

Trophies
Website
www.littlebigmods.net
XP
Country
United States
TCTerror said:
There is a kind of ghosting, that is 100% the hardwares fault/flaw, and can not be solved by the consumer. (Other then turning to 2D)

It's when bright objects are close to drak objects.

From the picture on the back layer, the bright parts will shine through the front layer.
This cant be fixed by turning down the screen brightness, and can only get reduced by sliding down to less 3D.

Like bright Sunlight can make you see both layers with both eyes at the same time, the light of the layers itself can also do this for parts of the image, where you can see bright objects next to dark.

Like standing with Link in front of a big black door(in Zelda : OoT3D), in the lost forrest. If Link will stand in front of something big and dark, it's the easiest way to see this ghosting.
I think it's mainly right-shifted.
I also see it for ex. when looking at the death mountains halo at night, or well, a lot bright stuff is ghosting at night.
(I also notices this in Pilot wings resort, for ex. when seeing a big golden ring in front of a dark-brown mountain.)

--

When I bought the 3DS, i knew, it might be a challange, to always keep focus, and hold my hands still.
But this is a design flaw of the 3DS, that for me means, that this console is not able to completely & correctly display 3D graphics under all circumstances, even if you play under the best conditions, and have no fault.

Im very pissed, because I'l bet my ass Nintendo knew about this long ago.

So I can come up with only 3 solutions:

1.I have to learn to ignore this kind of contrast-ghosting. (pretty hard, because is p. me off every time i recognize it)
2. I have to turn the 3D very low, to see less ghosting, or 2D to see no ghosting.
3. Gamedesigners have to make only very bright and colourfull games, and avoid the colour black, like the black death.

---

Yes, it's often the consumers or consumer's eyes fault, why people see ghosting.
Still, there is the kind of ghosting, i and others explained here that is definitely cause by the construction of the 3DS's upper screen alone.
And this shouldn't be. It also shouldn't be publicly ignrored, by always blaming the consumer, to protect our beloved Big N.
I've noticed that a lot too. To me, it was just an obvious problem of using a parallax barrier for 3D. It doesn't bother me too much. Sometimes it makes me get distracted or make me think that I'm holding the 3DS at the wrong angle, but I'm usually able to just ignore it.

It's 100% a hardware issue, like you said. The only reason it shows "ghosting" is because it parallax barrier doesn't remove all of the 2nd layer's light and allows some to leak through. Although it's a small disappointment, I still think it can be easily ignored.

The biggest problem that I notice is the limited angle of the 3D effect on the screen, but that problem is due to the technology used, not the screen.

I've also noticed that using the "Power Saving Mode" (located in the brightness setting) seems to slightly reduce the the ghosting effect by making some colors less vivid where it contrasts the most.

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
TCTerror said:
I noticed the same and also have an idea, what might be the cause.
White pixel shine very bright, lighting the pixels around them.
Since the pixel columns left and right to the bright pixel are for the other eye, we see ghosting.

Here is an example:

Original image with shining effect added to bright pixels:
originalhc.png

What the left and the right eye see:
leftjg.png

rightp.png

TCTerror

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DJ91990 said:
Is it normal to see ghost images of objects (Player objects, or anything that is an object that is not the background. Boxes, Rupees, Hearts, Balloons, Etc.) when exposed to a black background in-game? It seems every time I play a game and go into a low-lighting environment (such as caves, etc) I see a double-image of game objects.

Is this normal?

If there aren't a lot of disfunctional 3DS units, what i don't think : Yes.

I belive those, who say they never saw it, but my guess is, they didn't notice it, or are more "flying over the screen" with their eyes, then observing the picture.
We all assimilate pictures differently, but i think we all have the same picture in front of us, and that this kind of ghosting is preset on all 3DS units.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i think my entire eyesight has improved from the 3d. yesterday while riding in the car, i was able to notice which clouds in the sky were closer, as i recognised they were moving along faster than the other clouds, which of course works just like the 3ds, where closer objects move across the screen faster. i've never noticed this before. thank you 3ds.

D

Deleted User

My eyes have gotta adapt- they feel disgusting after a 3 hour session on Ocarina. But then, that's probably because I shouldn't be playing 3 hours' worth of Ocarina in one sitting
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...