• Views 14,807
  • Replies 130

Funkenstein

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Felt the need to register in order to reply to this topic in lieu of just lurking. When I see people complaining
about the price and late released dates (when compared to the rumors of a holiday launch), I get the feeling
that this is because most of these young adults know their parents won't be able to buy them a 3DS as a holiday
gift now, especially with the price of a PS3 Slim.

For the working adults who have been around for more than just the DS and GBA, I think we can agree that
the price is pretty reasonable when you look at all that you're getting (though I'm a member of the 249.99 NA
release crowd). We can look at both of Sony's hand held consoles, and they launched around the same price
as well. 250-300 isn't that bad nowadays, especially if you put these next few months into saving the money.

And I believe the next six months will be a great thing. Early adopters of any console will tell you that there
are usually some flaws at launch. At E3 we saw and tested production grade versions of the console. I can only
hope that the added R&D time will allow Nintendo to face any issues that might come up, as well as work in
any updated third party hardware.

As for the launch library... Well when they announced OoT, MGS3, Layton, and whatever Atlus is working
on I was hooked. The Megaman Legends 3 announcement nearly made me punch my monitor in excitement.

/two cents

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funkenstein said:
Felt the need to register in order to reply to this topic in lieu of just lurking. When I see people complaining
about the price and late released dates (when compared to the rumors of a holiday launch), I get the feeling
that this is because most of these young adults know their parents won't be able to buy them a 3DS as a holiday

For the working adults who have been around for more than just the DS and GBA, I think we can agree that
the price is pretty reasonable when you look at all that you're getting (though I'm a member of the 249.99 NA
release crowd). We can look at both of Sony's hand held consoles, and they launched around the same price
as well. 250-300 isn't that bad nowadays, especially if you put these next few months into saving the money.

And I believe the next six months will be a great thing. Early adopters of any console will tell you that there
are usually some flaws at launch. At E3 we saw and tested production grade versions of the console. I can only
hope that the added R&D time will allow Nintendo to face any issues that might come up, as well as work in

As for the launch library... Well when they announced OoT, MGS3, Layton, and whatever Atlus is working
on I was hooked. The Megaman Legends 3 announcement nearly made me punch my monitor in excitement.

/two cents
+1

I'm an adult gamer that has paid more than $250 to $300 for a system way back when, so the 3DS price doesn't seem outrageous considering what it offers. I'm also glad that the 3DS isn't releasing before the holidays, otherwise it would be another eBay frenzy. If you've ever stood in a line overnight to get a new console, you know that half the people are gamers, and the other half are resellers. Then if you don't get one at launch, it could be a very long time before you get one. I hope that a March timeframe will alleviate this shortage, but it's Nintendo afterall, so I almost expect a shortage no matter what.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
ibeliveAaronEckhart.png

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
dsfanatic5 said:
I hope that a March timeframe will alleviate this shortage, but it's Nintendo afterall, so I almost expect a shortage no matter what.
DS came out around March/April and I had one preordered for my birthday. We got a call one day saying I wouldn't get one for launch but just a week later they had stock again. So, yeah, the whole Christmas shortage thing should be avoided by a March timeframe.

As for the price. £180-200 (the kind of price range I reckon it will be in the UK) is pretty reasonable for all the tech we're getting BUT its still pretty steep. At its highest price range its DOUBLE the cost of the DS at launch, and that thing never really got a price drop for its entire life span. Tech has moved on a lot so you'd expect a few bits in the 3DS to be cheaper than they were at the DS launch but then I suppose the rest of the cutting edge tech pushes the price up considerably...
The point I'm trying to make is that while the price is justified it is steep. You can buy an Xbox for about the same price (hell my Elite WAS £200) and the 3DS is just a handheld. I certainly don't and won't have the money to buy one.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Disappointments:
- no built-in rumble, no vibrating stylus
- the 1.5 Gb internal NAND flash memory which IGN was referring to is probably in fact just a 2 Gb SD card provided by Nintendo by default with 0.5 Gb reserved by system
- they kept the ugly 3-layered-sandwich design with these awful hinges. C'mon, DSLite looked so nice, simple and rounded, can't you just copy it ?
- most games will look not much better than their PSP counterparts, just on smaller screen and in smaller resolution
- docking pad instead of charger

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
Disappointments:
- the 1.5 Gb internal NAND flash memory which IGN was referring to is probably in fact just a 2 Gb SD card provided by Nintendo by default with 0.5 Gb reserved by system
- they kept the ugly 3-layered-sandwich design with these awful hinges. C'mon, DSLite looked so nice, simple and rounded, can't you just copy it ?
- most games will look not much better than their PSP counterparts, just on smaller screen and in smaller resolution
- Don't need, don't care.
- Keeps the price down
- Looks fine to me
- Most look better, try looking at the detail, how much is going on in screen with some of them. Some PSP games don't look better than NDS so of course devs will cheap out on some games.
- That's better for me.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Puppy_Washer said:
Here are some things that I'm worried/let down about:
- Price.
- Only GB/GBA/GBC Virtual Console?
- Release date.
- For the price, the unit looks somewhat cheap.
- The re-addition of the volume "slider", as opposed to the excellent DSi and DSi XL volume buttons.- For what it can do, I'd even pay more. Besides, you still have all the time in the world to save up for it.
- Wait... what? First of all, there is no GBA VC. Second, more VC shit can and will most likely be added once the VC gets popular.
- Wah wah wah.
- It actually looks like the most robust and full-fledged handheld I have ever seen.
- The volume slider has way more precision than those stupid buttons.

foob said:
-Not sure what swapping DSiWare games means: transferring them over to the 3DS with no problems?
-With the second point, Matte is back? Gloss is gone?- Yes.
- Yes and yes.

QUOTE(pachura @ Oct 3 2010, 12:33 PM)
Disappointments:
- Don't you think that would get extremely annoying extremely soon after you start using it? For what it does, it's definitely not worth the price.
- No no no. There's 1.5GB (GIGABYTE, not GIGABIT) inbuilt AND an extra 2GB SD card. Read up on things next time, please.
- Robust with not-so-lovely looking hinges > weak with broken hinges. Can't deny that.
- Derp derp derp ever thought about the 3D aspect which adds anti-alias to every single image? Derp derp derp also ever thought about true gamers not giving a shit about graphics?
- I bet you've never used a docking pad before.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
I really don't understand why people are stil bitching about the price. The 8gb iPod Touch is £190 and the PSPgo at£230, and for the 3DS for the same price the 3DS has a lot more advanced tech under its belt. Okay, the iPod has a 1 Ghz Processor, but come on, the 3DS is Dual-Core Just because the previous Nintendo portable have been cheap, some people have decided to whine.

Zoroark1989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funkenstein said:

/two cents

+1. I'm an adult gamer and i don't mind at all giving away $300 for the 3DS. Everything about that system is just fantastic .

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funkenstein said:

/two cents

Huge +1. I'm getting when I say this, but kids really don't know how good they have it these days. All these people who are saying it should be under $200... what are you smoking? $250 is more then reasonable. If this was the PSP3D it would be like $500. Nintendo has always had reasonable launch prices.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm only 13, and I think the 3DS price is vary reasonable. I don't plan on buying one at launch, but really, no one should be complaining about the price.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fudgenuts64 said:
I'm only 13, and I think the 3DS price is vary reasonable. I don't plan on buying one at launch, but really, no one should be complaining about the price.
I assume that you are buying or is it really your parent buying?

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
fudgenuts64 said:
I assume that you are buying or is it really your parent buying?
I may just ask for one as a Christmas present, although that seems unlikely as I'm rather poor. I may have to sell some of my current gen consoles or games for one.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaydrian said:
- Most (3DS games) look better (than PSP), try looking at the detail, how much is going on in screen with some of them. Some PSP games don't look better than NDS so of course devs will cheap out on some games.

True, but the improvement is nowhere near DS -> PSP. 3DS games look slightly better than PSP ones, there are some more detailed textures, but polygon counts are similar. Kid Icarus, for instance, doesn't seem to be using any shading at all - everything is bright.

Overlord Nadrian said:
- Wait... what? First of all, there is no GBA VC.
- Don't you think that (rumble) would get extremely annoying extremely soon after you start using it? For what it does, it's definitely not worth the price.

Only GB and GBC then ? Shit.

And for the rumble - what ? People are paying for rumble packs all the time. Rumble is good, it is another way of giving feedback to the player (e.g. when your car is sliding off the track), and you can always turn it off if you don't like it. And don't start with the price argument, even the shittiest $30 mobile phones have vibrating alarms built in. If Nintendo so desperately wanted to keep the price down, why did they include COMPLETELY USELESS infrared ? Unless you find communicating with pedometer so important. PSP-1000 had infrared, noone used it, so Sony removed it in next revisions.

Overlord Nadrian said:
- No no no. There's 1.5GB inbuilt AND an extra 2GB SD card. Read up on things next time, please.

As far as I understand, there hasn't been a single CONFIRMED piece of information on 3DS' hardware details except for the following:
- upper screen is 800x240, lower is 320x240
- Pica200 is the graphics chip

All the rest came either from this unconfirmed IGN leak either from the diagram attached to Nintendo's patent. Including the 1.5 GB figure. In my opinion, IGN was wrong and they were talking about the SD card.

QUOTE(Overlord Nadrian @ Oct 3 2010, 12:04 PM) - Robust with not-so-lovely looking hinges > weak with broken hinges. Can't deny that.
- I bet you've never used a docking pad before.

I don't think the shape of plastic covering the hinges really affects their durability. Rounded finish wouldn't hurt.

And for the docking pad, all I see is:
- it takes more place than a standard recharger
- is it still possible to play while recharging ? Especially, is it possible to reach shoulder buttons ?

Generally, I can understand the idea of docking pads - if they add some functionality, like new ports, PC connectivity etc. Here, I don't understand.

QUOTE(Funkenstein @ Oct 3 2010, 01:18 AM)
As for the launch library... Well when they announced (...) Layton (...) I was hooked.

Wow. New Layton in 3D is going to be sooo amazing ! The characters, will be, like, in front of the background. It will bring so much to the experience ! Two 3D layers ! And then captions can be, like, in front of characters ! Which will give you three levels of 3D depth in total ! Whoa. A completely different game.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
pachura said:
Disappointments:
- the 1.5 GB internal NAND flash memory which IGN was referring to is probably in fact just a 2 GB SD card provided by Nintendo by default with 0.5 GB reserved by system
Fix'd. Gb = gigabit.

Also, vibration doesn't matter too much in my opinion; I kinda like this design, although it seems...different when it's closed. As for the games, a lot of them may actually look better, and don't forget about the depth. Because of that it has a virtual resolution of about 800 pixels across.

You probably phrased it wrong, but the docking pad is a charger. If you mean instead of a cable, then I think you still can use a cable with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, AncientBoi be like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxLoR6H7GxQ