Gaming Hyrule Warriors

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obviously I jest with certain parts of that post - each to their own, really. In my opinion, Ocarina of Time, much like most games of that period, did not age well and I don't fancy it all that much. It was "revolutionary" for its time, but many games that "emulated" it were more to my liking or did certain things better - here I often bring up Soul Reaver which I think is excellent in just about every way and, believe it or not, is a "Zelda-like".
of course there was over-simplification; comedy would be dead without it. For OoT's aging, I think it's graphics didn't age all that well, but otherwise I thought it aged decently. I always did want to see the game remade with something similar to the Twilight Princess engine, though. As for Soul Reaver, I'm not familiar with that game; I'll have to look into it. As for other Zelda-like games, I became a fan of Okami (though I don't know how you'd feel about the water-color graphics in that one).

As for Wind Waker, I absolutely detest that art style - I always have and I always will. I believe that I am physically unable to pick that game up, and knowing about all its glaring issues, both from gameplay footage and trustworthy accounts, makes it even less appealing to me. No, I can't get over it - call me a graphics whore if you must. This style could "fly" on the DS with me because the system couldn't really do any better, on the Gamecube it just felt out of place.
I suppose we all of our lines we must draw in the sand. I, for one, can't play the old Resident Evil or Silent Hill games because I can't stand Tank Controls. I gave up on Final Fantasy VI because the game mechanics were just pissing me off.

Twilight Princess on the other hand... I feel that this is the way Zelda games should look like. It was a bit too muddy and a bit too "bloomy", but that was caused by the limitations of the system - I feel that on better hardware the game would really flourish and benefit from crisper, more colourful graphics, see Zelda HD Tech Demo. As for Skyward Sword, I actually like that art style, but they may have gone a bit too far with cartoonifying it. More Twilight Princess, less Wind Waker please.
Twilight Princess is what drew me back into the franchise. As I said, WW had me turned off and I had only played OoT to that point. When I saw a trailer for Twilight Princess, I was immediately back on board. As far as the graphics are concerned, I was honestly impressed they were able to make the game look as good and run as good as it did on the Gamecube. Sure, there were some muddy textures out there (the rocks were especially muddy), but there were also some really good models and the engine was really tight. I also remember being impressed at the time that on uneven ground, Link would actually keep both of his feet on the ground, bending a knee if need-be instead of just standing straight up with one foot hovering or one foot buried in the environment. As for the bloom, I rather enjoyed the bloomy effects of the twilight; it helped to give an eerie, uneasy sensation.

I liked where Skyward Sword stood from an art-design stand-point. It had nice detailed models, combined with bright, cheery colors. Anything between that and the Zelda U Tech Demo seems to be a good place for art-direction in a home-console Zelda game.

Reactions: Foxi4

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile

do you like Powerpuff girls or Dexter's lab?? the style of WW is pretty much like that and I find it brilliant. also the game plays with it a little with things that couldn't work with a more serious art style(like Tetra putting Link inside a barrel and throwing it from a catapult and survived as if nothing happened).
I think that what really was a bummer is that in Spaceworld 2000 they showed a techdemo of Ganondorf and Link fighting on a OoT style but with more resolution and better polycount, and the next trailer of Zelda was of Toon Link, the trailer was excellent but everyone was too busy bitching about the graphics to notice.

now on regard of the direct..... I'm disappointed for the lack of Ashei, she is so badass that is a waste not add her.

also Foxi, terrible puns are terrible. I still giggled.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a fan of Musou games this looks alright, but I still think I'd take Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper over this if you're a Wii U owner.

Aesthetic aside I don't think it'll have nearly as much content as a typical Warriors game, which can have upwards of 80+ characters, multiple story modes, plus usually a wealth of bonus modes. DW8 XL had like 5 different campaigns, Ambition Mode, Challenge Mode, and a Free Mode, along with 89 characters, all with different moves and weapons.

If I somehow get a Wii U and the game is like $20 I'd buy it.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
UK - September 19. 2014
US - September 26, 2014

Nintendo has the tendency to send early full copies to John Lewis which is nice so we and customers can play the games, so if I do find myself enjoying the game I'll definitely pre-order it (it's £29.99 on Base.com so that's a good price) but seeing how it's a Dynasty Warriors' clone I doubt it.

Rosalina

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
Guess I'm the only one who thinks that this game looks really cool? Just watched the new Nintendo Direct...
It does look cool, I don't think anyone can deny, but how many games in the past have looked cool and upon release have been let downs. Its a title for Warriors fans. If you don't like warriors and like Zelda, its a title to avoid.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
IGN posted their review and gave it a 7/10.

It's a fair score for this overly repetitive game. I'm glad I didn't pre-order it as I'd have regretted it.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Despite that the game's getting average scores it's #1 most pre-ordered Wii U game on Amazon UK and I bet those Nintendo-Amazon UK members will give it a 5/5 'cause they always praise and turn a blind eye to the flaws.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excuse me guys but a 7 is not "Average" 5 is a half score and that would be average.
6-8 is above average and 9-10 is fantastic.

But this is why on gamedrievteam.com we don't give numbered scores but rather an A-F score.
Hyrule warriors is out tomorrow in Australia and that will be our first official review.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excuse me guys but a 7 is not "Average" 5 is a half score and that would be average.
6-8 is above average and 9-10 is fantastic.

But this is why on gamedrievteam.com we don't give numbered scores but rather an A-F score.
Hyrule warriors is out tomorrow in Australia and that will be our first official review.

That was probably the least subtle way to sneak in advertising your website.

Also A through F scores are not new, 1UP has been doing them for a while.

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Picked it up yesterday.

Dynasty Warriros was never my thing. But it's also Zelda, so i gave it a chance. Bad idea. Stupig button-mashing. Graphics like 2008. :glare:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak past the light and kill that giant mosquito.