Hypothetically speaking, if you had/have a child would you let him/her with a male childcare assist?

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 5,714
  • Replies 81
  • Likes 1

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i know that but it still wont ever account for the undocumented is my point

i understand that thats why i said
he was not making light of my experience but of the real dangers associated with strangers (not just rape/molestation)
There are ways to account for undocumented. Even if it is not reported there may be some lingering effects, most obviously among those seeking help later in life (or at the time) and trying to retroactively model things, and other things like technically full reports and filed, signed, sealed and delivered but things a hospital, social worker, school or such might note but not count as a full report. It is probably harder than cool stuff like cocaine stats from sewer water http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33009682 but science and stats do include a wide array of such tools, this particular aspect is not my field so I am not sure what they might be here (getting a bit closer you have things like http://www.businessinsider.com/the-...et-exposed-a-teen-girls-pregnancy-2012-2?IR=T ). Likewise the people compiling stats hopefully have an interest in the accuracy thereof. While they are doubtless released with that caveat I don't think I can get to it being such a massive thing as to render the stats released as pointless or whatever.

There is a danger associated with strangers. There is also a danger I will be hit in the head by a meteorite tomorrow. The trick is to balance the results of an instance and the chance of it, and as there are a limited number of things you can investigate fully and consider at any one time you get to consider that as well. Here we may differ* on what is acceptable risk and things we might do to lessen such risks. Likewise these is a danger in not speaking to strangers -- most people in the world are good people but they tend not to make an effort unless someone else starts.

*I actually find the raincoat on a park bench stuff pulls focus from a handsy relative which itself is possibly damaging.

Reactions: wormdood

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will only leave my child with someone if...
A. They are family
B. I either know the person or a close friend recommend him/her
C. If it is some sort of business, i don't see any issue as long as he/she is an employee

Plattym3!

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being a male teacher, I'd not have minded. But my son was taken care of by a friend's husband for 4 weeks and it was pure crap. He didn't change the diaper but once in 10 hours and despite us hinting at that, he never did any better. Finally ended that. Put a sourness in me about male providers, but I'm male, so...?

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, I would prefer a female. However, that is simply because I usually don't get along with other males and in the rare occurrence that I do get along with another male, they typically aren't the kind of person I would to look after my child.

Plattym3!

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, I would prefer a female. However, that is simply because I usually don't get along with other males and in the rare occurrence that I do get along with another male, they typically aren't the kind of person I would to look after my child.
I think you really hit the nail on the head. I feel that way too. 95% of my colleagues over the past 2 decades have been female; which is maybe why I went into teaching, I'm the same way you say it.

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be fine with it. Used to want to myself. Alas, its a female dominated industry and they get trusted more then we do.

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you really hit the nail on the head. I feel that way too. 95% of my colleagues over the past 2 decades have been female; which is maybe why I went into teaching, I'm the same way you say it.
I'm considering going into teaching when I get older. I'm only 15 right now so, not really much of an option for next school year. :P

EDIT: And if I had a child right now, the only male I would trust with my child would be my boyfriend (Or husband if we were adopting together at that point)

Last edited by bennyman123abc,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Men are more likely to be demonized for doing something bad. A woman targets a male over 14 and it's considered a win for the boy.

That's changing like I said I can post a hundred articles where women have been convicted and sent to prison for molesting kids. (male and female and animals.)

And I consider that a good thing, stuff like that I believe tends to propagate through a society in later generations... If I am remembering correctly I believe I have read some articles claiming that a fairly high percentage of people who molest kids where themselves molested... So anyone who does it to a kid is increasing the chances it will happen to more kids.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In my opinion, (most) men who want to be around children are weird. It sounds extremely sexist, but (most) women have an innate gift to care for children. I honestly wouldn't want a male person to care for my child, may just be my paranoia though.
most women?
have you been amongst women recently?

i mean, yes, ok, women happen to abuse children more on a psy
That's changing like I said I can post a hundred articles where women have been convicted and sent to prison for molesting kids. (male and female and animals.)

And I consider that a good thing, stuff like that I believe tends to propagate through a society in later generations... If I am remembering correctly I believe I have read some articles claiming that a fairly high percentage of people who molest kids where themselves molested... So anyone who does it to a kid is increasing the chances it will happen to more kids.

Nope , that was one of the earliest thoughts on the matter and its been looked into more than enough to say, there is little to no causation.
It is however propagated by tv and movies a lot, like so many other things

TheWolfLord

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's important for kids to have access to child care and preschool so they can develop social skills. They will have a miserable time in kindergarten if you never let them go to child care or preschool.
A little too much of an absolute statement there.

I never went to pk and had/have no issues. You can socialize a kid in other ways.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's important for kids to have access to child care and preschool so they can develop social skills. They will have a miserable time in kindergarten if you never let them go to child care or preschool.
i do agree that a social setting is needed for a "proper" development (we all know the saying it takes a village to raise a child) . . . but . . . i believe (depending on environment) you can achieve this without those institutions . . . you just gotta set up "your own village" so to speak

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
A little too much of an absolute statement there.

I never went to pk and had/have no issues. You can socialize a kid in other ways.
Only with a huge amount of work. Are you willing to spend half your time in playgroups? And do you have thousands of dollars to spend on educational toys?

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
The point of this topic was to see what the responses would be, generally I suspected it'd be geared towards women than men due to this being a job usually done by women. I get that people like to be open-minded but this is by all accounts a job in which female workers dominate and males are seen as "creepy" and "worrisome" because, you guessed it, they're guys doing a women's job.

I'd never leave a small child with anyone outside of a school setting.
You'd at some point have to.

TheWolfLord

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only with a huge amount of work. Are you willing to spend half your time in playgroups? And do you have thousands of dollars to spend on educational toys?
If I believed it was necessary but I don't think that you need to simulate that sort of pre-school environment everyday/as often as pk/cc actually is(Or as much as you are implying in order to keep the kid from social retardation at the worst and a mildly bad first day at the least).

I do get that not every person is fortunate enough to have a spouse/career situation where they could avoid relying on these institutions early on.
The point of this topic was to see what the responses would be, generally I suspected it'd be geared towards women than men due to this being a job usually done by women. I get that people like to be open-minded but this is by all accounts a job in which female workers dominate and males are seen as "creepy" and "worrisome" because, you guessed it, they're guys doing a women's job.

You'd at some point have to.

Unless you homeschool/put in the required effort. Either way, my original point was that I'd prefer waiting till the kid is older for such an environment. Just no way I'd leave my kid at like 2-3 with anyone, knowing the shit that people do.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Gon Freecss

Mumble > Discord
Trophies
Website
signal.org
XP
Country
Venezuela
In my opinion, (most) men who want to be around children are weird. It sounds extremely sexist, but (most) women have an innate gift to care for children. I honestly wouldn't want a male person to care for my child, may just be my paranoia though.
Right, they could hide under children beds...

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Glad I bought a card reader type c and usb A makes life easy
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i download movies on my PC that is connected to my living room tv.
    Monitors are too small for my bad eyesight so I use my main tv and wirelss keyboard and wireless trackball mouse.
    I tried wireless transfer on phone before and yes, it's garbage. lol. So sloooooooooowwwwww.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New south park was not really that funny.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i heard modern south park is too serious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did it hurt your feelings?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Some are still funny, but they always try to use a subject matter related to something going on today.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All you need is one dose of Lizzo to make yourself feel better
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Who tf is lizzo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They always make valid points on that show and it goes over people's heads over sensitivity reasons
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @BigOnYa i mean south park did that way back in the day too
    +2
    remember the Michael Jackson episodes?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or blaming the only jew in the show on 9/11 or having the police shoot the only black kid during a school shooting or saying Kanye a gay fish list goes on
    +2
    the gay fish thing was funny as fuck
    +1
    and i don't even follow or care about kanhye
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Everytime i hear that real song, i think of that episode, "I'm a Gay fish yal."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So was the way they showed how messed up the American health system was to get anything done
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont watch south park that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Old people driving was a funny one, like cars up on 2nd/3rd floors in houses. Had to shut down old country buffet to stop them.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBpKupfQEKE