Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Me too, the poeple saying wait wait wait and nothing will come we're the ones saying skip 3.0.0 because nothing will ever be released.
Eh, can always buy a second Switch and then choose whether or not to sell the original. Assuming anything comes of the exploit any time soon. If we gotta wait another three years or so then forget about it, firmware will be like 13.0.0 by then. Not to mention all the best games will have been released (Smash, Prime, Odyssey, Rocket League, etc) and you'll miss out on all of it. Though not ideal financially, it's probably best to have two Switches anyway, one for online games and one for exploiting. Plus I don't think anybody is sure we'll be able to have an emuNAND-like system, since updates even to that would burn efuses (I believe). Being stuck on such an early firmware would really suck, even if it means homebrew and having the few games that will run for free.

Last edited by Xzi,

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
He doesn't understand. Anyone saying "sure, update, an exploit will come" is ignorant. Look at the PS3.

Was The PS3 hacked within 2 weeks of release? Has every playstation console in the last few generations had simple softmod hacks? Did it have a service manager hack within a few months?

Clearly their is pessimism with no supporting evidence on how incredably hard and unlikely it is for the switch to be hacked so Ill just agree at this point ;). If you don't have a second switch go and buy another 2 because something might happen to your 2nd on FW 3.0. The probabilities the switch will get hacked again are very low, despite all the evidence. (Below are just examples I can go and dig up more but It would doubtfully change a stubborn pessimists point of view)

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/04/d...ogram-hackers-think-theyll-crack-the-switch/- (stating no matter what the switch will get hacked)

The author of the smhack saying it might be a while for the next one, discluding the possibility it would actually be the only one, then theirs the fact the switch was hacked also within 2 weeks of doing nothing other than re-purposing an already existing hack used on an Apple iOS device.

Despite all these things the switch will very likely not get hacked, based on a few people on these forums arguing those odds, because apparently I don't understand. So you should keep 2 switches in the closet on the probability a flying monkey will eat your first on FW 3.0. The monkey will eat your first switch because I said it would, clearly if I have written it you should believe it. If you don't then you obviously don't understand statements made with a base of probability based on data as opposed to ones made by people with no supporting arguments other than pessimism and a keyboard. Because if you have pessimism and a keyboard by your side your argument is the most credible.

Last edited by Jackson98,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was The PS3 hacked within 2 weeks of release? Has every playstation console in the last few generations had simple softmod hacks? Did it have a service manager hack within a few months?

Clearly their is pessimism with no supporting evidence on how incredably hard and unlikely it is for the switch to be hacked so Ill just agree at this point ;). If you don't have a second switch go and buy another 2 because something might happen to your 2nd on FW 3.0. The probabilities the switch will get hacked again are very low, despite all the evidence. (Below are just examples I can go and dig up more but It would doubtfully change a stubborn pessimists point of view)

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/04/d...ogram-hackers-think-theyll-crack-the-switch/- (stating no matter what the switch will get hacked)

The author of the smhack saying it might be a while for the next one, discluding the possibility it would actually be the only one, then theirs the fact the switch was hacked also within 2 weeks of doing nothing other than re-purposing an already existing hack used on an Apple iOS device.

Despite all these things the switch will very likely not get hacked, based on a few people on these forums arguing those odds, because apparently I don't understand. So you should keep 2 switches in the closet on the probability a flying monkey will eat your first on FW 3.0. The monkey will eat your first switch because I said it would, clearly if I have written it you should believe it. If you don't then you obviously don't understand statements made with a base of probability based on data as opposed to ones made by people with no supporting arguments other than pessimism and a keyboard. Because if you have pessimism and a keyboard by your side your argument is the most credible.
Everyone saying the switch will get hacked later are standard users. If you look at what the actual switch hackers are saying, they have said, and I quote, "DO NOT, under any circumstances, update to Switch OS 3.0.1." and "It can't be understated how big this bug was. If you want switchhax, don't update to 3.0.1.", by daeken and SciresM respectively.
No one is saying it's completely impossible to happen. But if we are to listen to the ones actually working on the exploits instead of users who only are basing their beliefs on what happened on previous consoles, then updating to 3.0.1 is a bad idea. It's not impossible, but it will take significantly longer, if it happens at all.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Are you fucking stupid? Or just trolling? Not even trying to be rude, I'm genuinely asking which if the two it is. This is a COMPLETELY different console. You can't say "oh, X was hacked but ONLY after 5 years! Therefore, it's impossible for any other system to be hacked any earlier!"

Seriously dude? Your pessimism is not only obnoxious, but highly illogical.

This is a HUGE exploit, and it's even based on an early 3DS exploit, which, by the way, was made use of very early on in the 3DS' lifecycle. We've learned from practically the exact "vulnerability", so if anything, there's an even bigger chance it'll become usable to the average user even earlier on. Devs even spoke of how HUGE this is. There's a fair chance we may never even find an entry point like this ever again. And who knows? It may even be possible that we never even find an exploitable vulnerability with the Switch again.

Your claims are absolutely ignorant and closed-minded.

Also, kiddo, anyone who knows me, knows that I'm literally the most optimistic person out there *The Secret for the win! Thanks Rhonda!* - but I'm choosing to be realistic here.

And also? You seem severely pessimistic in comparison to us. It's actually SUPER likely that the exploit will be made user-friendly within the next year, whereas, in sure the odds of finding another exploit such as this one won't happen for years, or maybe even ever.

Edit: there*

Last edited by Thirty3Three,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you fucking stupid? Or just trolling? Not even trying to be rude, I'm genuinely asking which if the two it is. This is a COMPLETELY different console. You can't say "oh, X was hacked but ONLY after 5 years! Therefore, it's impossible for any other system to be hacked any earlier!"

Seriously dude? Your pessimism is not only obnoxious, but highly illogical.
That's my main issue with most arguments being made in this thread.
"Oh X console was hacked in this way so we can do the same thing on Switch"
People saying "past nintendo consoles always had exploits on latest version so Switch will" are not only wrong because the Switch is a different system, but also historically wrong as it was only recently we started getting exploits on latest firmware. For most of the 3DS hacking scene it was only specific firmwares. We only got lucky with ntrboot allowing CFW to install on any firmware. Probably won't happen on switch, at least not for a very long time if at all.
People saying "We will get a hardmod like the 360 has" are also probably wrong. Not only is there no space for a hardmod, but again not all efuses are designed and used the same. Again the fallacy of saying one COMPLETELY DIFFERENT console was hacked in one way so another can doesn't work.
It's literally exactly like saying the 3ds has been blown wide open on every firmware so the PS Vita should be as well. But clearly that isn't happening anytime soon.

All we have right now are the facts being given to us by the actual devs saying updating past 3.0.0 is basically death for switchhax. Everything else is just people being too hopeful for something that we know is currently not being worked on by the devs.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also would like to add, I'm a biomedical science major. If anything, I know about "data" and "probability", and you're deffo not understanding either right now. Your view of "probability" is skewed in this instance, and your use of "data" is practically irrelevant. You really don't understand... stop trying to "play scientist" when you don't even understand how "data" works...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That's my main issue with most arguments being made in this thread.
"Oh X console was hacked in this way so we can do the same thing on Switch"
People saying "past nintendo consoles always had exploits on latest version so Switch will" are not only wrong because the Switch is a different system, but also historically wrong as it was only recently we started getting exploits on latest firmware. For most of the 3DS hacking scene it was only specific firmwares. We only got lucky with ntrboot allowing CFW to install on any firmware. Probably won't happen on switch, at least not for a very long time if at all.
People saying "We will get a hardmod like the 360 has" are also probably wrong. Not only is there no space for a hardmod, but again not all efuses are designed and used the same. Again the fallacy of saying one COMPLETELY DIFFERENT console was hacked in one way so another can doesn't work.
It's literally exactly like saying the 3ds has been blown wide open on every firmware so the PS Vita should be as well. But clearly that isn't happening anytime soon.

All we have right now are the facts being given to us by the actual devs saying updating past 3.0.0 is basically death for switchhax. Everything else is just people being too hopeful for something that we know is currently not being worked on by the devs.
I agree COMPLETELY. And this dude is clearly ignoring what devs (the people who actually also understand this stuff) are saying, and he's just spewing the opposite with ignorance, basically saying "you're wrong" to the people who found and are working on said exploit.

Anyway... off topic, but I'm super excited for my day tomorrow! A customer gave me 1 mil yesterday, so clearly I'll get that again tomorrow from a homeless person on the street! Data and probability right?!

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also would like to add, I'm a biomedical science major. If anything, I know about "data" and "probability", and you're deffo not understanding either right now. Your view of "probability" is skewed in this instance, and your use of "data" is practically irrelevant. You really don't understand... stop trying to "play scientist" when you don't even understand how "data" works...
And I'm and IT Networking major, so I have some understanding of how electronics work (though I've learned more about electronics via the internet). I regularly mup about with my hardware and I've hacked almost every system I know. I've done several hardmod and softmod projects going back to n64.
And I also believe I have a pretty good ability to do logical critical thinking.

ertre

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, I'll think I'll take my chances and not buy a Switch.
That thing is way too overpriced here to buy it when there is so much uncertainty.
Especially since this whole back and forth on how much will come from this exploit only confuses me.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That thing is way too overpriced here to buy it when there is so much uncertainty.
Especially since this whole back and forth on how much will come from this exploit only confuses me.
Don't let it confuse you, m8. Even devs say not to update as this may never happen again.its up to you, ultimately. But who would you rather put your faith in? The people WORKING on the exploit, or a kiddo who knows nothing and is spouting nonsense?

Best of luck!

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no uncertainty about 3.0.0 and lower having basically root permissions. Chances are with the pace they are making we will see something for the user for 3.0.0 and lower within a year, probably sooner. It's only been about 6 months now and we already have seen major strides in the switch exploits include what daeken has described as probalby the biggest bug he has seen (being smhax). So you can take that risk if you want, but know you likely won't see anything for 3.0.1+ any time even remotely soon.

Reactions: Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no uncertainty about 3.0.0 and lower having basically root permissions. Chances are with the pace they are making we will see something for the user for 3.0.0 and lower within a year, probably sooner. It's only been about 6 months now and we already have seen major strides in the switch exploits include what daeken has described as probalby the biggest bug he has seen (being smhax). So you can take that risk if you want, but know you likely won't see anything for 3.0.1+ any time even remotely soon.
B-but the data! The probability! And the statistics! And I'm smarter than you!

Reactions: Subtle Demise

nickerous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I have a Switch on 3.0 with the sd card update, access to Shovel Knight, NBA Playgrounds, my 145+ hour Zelda save and the Zelda DLC.

If I get another Switch now, it wont have the sd card update. If I update that one, I will have access to everything except my Zelda save file. Im guessing I can redownload the other games, right?

Thing is, I'm sure I put a 64gb card in after 3,01 was live. I wasnt thinking and hit update when the system said an update was needed for the sd card. I figured I just updated it to 3.01, but my system settings still show 3.00...

Last edited by nickerous,

mendezagus

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You won't be playing post-3.0.1 games on an early FW Switch. It's a lot more than just missing some keys.

This a 3DS it is not.

Can anyone else confirm this?? I think it´s the central part of the discussion on whether you should update or not.

WiiFoundLove

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Can anyone else confirm this?? I think it´s the central part of the discussion on whether you should update or not.
Are there games out that contains 3.0.1+ update on cardridge? Even Mario + Rabbids Battle Kingdom is below 3.0.1.... I don't think we can confirm it until we got a retail game with 3.0.1+ update on it...

MisterGoat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There are some people saying, that it will take couple of years because a console never got hacked in their early release.
Yeah a ps3 didnt got hacked so early but you know why?
Because there wasnt a exploit with full root rights! and thats the big difference here.
I think there was never such a fast accomplish like sm:hax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1