How to use OPL via UDPBD ?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So, I was told PS2 games on OPL via UDPBD lag less than on OPL via SMB. Can anyone tell me how to use the former? I searched for tutorials and didn't find them. Also, is the PS2 game compatibility higher on OPL via UDPBD than on OPL via SMB?

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I understand correctly, the current form of what was called UDPBD (UDP Block Device) has been realized in OPL as the more standard NBD (Network Block Device) which is a linux compatible network protocol.

As for how to use it, you would want to go here: https://github.com/ps2homebrew/Open-PS2-Loader
and read the section under "NBD Server" (the server is integrated into OPL). Under that is some recommended clients for your computer.
That said, it seems to say that NBD is currently only supported as a way to populate a PS2 HDD from your computer (add games from a computer to a PS2 Phat HDD so that the games can be played from internal HDD - not streaming over the network).

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If I understand correctly, the current form of what was called UDPBD (UDP Block Device) has been realized in OPL as the more standard NBD (Network Block Device) which is a linux compatible network protocol.

As for how to use it, you would want to go here: https://github.com/ps2homebrew/Open-PS2-Loader
and read the section under "NBD Server" (the server is integrated into OPL). Under that is some recommended clients for your computer.
That said, it seems to say that NBD is currently only supported as a way to populate a PS2 HDD from your computer (add games from a computer to a PS2 Phat HDD so that the games can be played from internal HDD - not streaming over the network).

Well, it may be obsolete since it doesn't mention MX4SIO and i.LINK and in the start it doesn't even mention NBD Server.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

I was told in Reddit that NBD isn't UDPBD.

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was told in Reddit that NBD isn't UDPBD.
I didn't say NBD WAS UDPBD, I said it was the current realization of the idea behind UDPBD.
If you really want to go down the rabbit hole of outdated/unsupported stuff - here you go:

I truly hope you find what you are looking for.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I didn't say NBD WAS UDPBD, I said it was the current realization of the idea behind UDPBD.
If you really want to go down the rabbit hole of outdated/unsupported stuff - here you go:

I truly hope you find what you are looking for.

It seems OPL doesn't support UDPBD (only specific PSX-Place Beta versions do, at least for now).

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

So, it seems UDPBD is used to play games on OPL via network like SMB but it uses a different protocol (UDP) than it and a NBD server is used on OPL with a NBD client on the PC (like PFS BatchKit Manager) to access the PS2's HDD/SSD/SSHD via network (just like a FTP server is used on wLE [PS2Net] with a FTP client on the PC [like FileZilla Client] to access the PS2). PFS BatchKit Manager and OPL's NBD server may be used to transfer PS2 games to the PS2's HDD/SSD/SSHD via network. Both UDPBD and NBD use Block Devices.

EDIT: Only this OPL version supports UDPBD (at least for now). I'll try running PAL's The Incredibles: Rise of the Underminer via UDPBD with it.

EDIT 2: So, I ran this OPL version, set "ETH Device Start Mode" to "Off", "BDM Start Mode" to "Auto" and "Default Menu" to "BDM Games", saved changes, restarted the PS2, connected an exFAT external HDD (it has to be FAT32 or exFAT) to my laptop, ran the UDPBD server from my laptop's HDD (it can't be in the same device as the shared BD [external HDD]) using an elevated command prompt (PowerShell doesn't work), copied PAL's The Incredibles: Rise of the Underminer to the external HDD, ran this OPL version again, ran PAL's The Incredibles: Rise of the Underminer and it has a black screen (at least, without enabling any OPL modes) so now it's even worse than before. Also, this OPL version sometimes doesn't show PAL's The Incredibles: Rise of the Underminer until I restart the PS2, close the UDPBD server and run this OPL version again.

SGA001

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I'm totally new here and facing some issues like others here.
I have a PS2 Slim 90004 with Matrix v1.93 in it
Tried following this video:
but the list of games doesn't show up.

"
Opened '\\.\G:' as Block Device
- read/write
- size = 15726MB / 14998MiB, sector size = 512
Block size changed to 128
Server running on port 48573 (0xbdbd)
UDPBD_CMD_INFO from 192.168.1.10
"

This is only what I get after running the v1.20 1973 build of OPL and games don't show up

Can anyone please help?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi I'm totally new here and facing some issues like others here.
I have a PS2 Slim 90004 with Matrix v1.93 in it
Tried following this video:
but the list of games doesn't show up.

"
Opened '\\.\G:' as Block Device
- read/write
- size = 15726MB / 14998MiB, sector size = 512
Block size changed to 128
Server running on port 48573 (0xbdbd)
UDPBD_CMD_INFO from 192.168.1.10
"

This is only what I get after running the v1.20 1973 build of OPL and games don't show up

Can anyone please help?

In my case, OPL sometimes didn't show games until I restarted the PS2, closed the UDPBD server and ran this OPL version again.

SGA001

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my case, OPL sometimes didn't show games until I exited it and/or closed the UDPBD server and ran the former and/or the latter again.
Thanks for suggesting but even after trying to reboot both server and ps2 as well, it's of no avail.. Instead it now works when I am using the neutrino with udpbd server...it's much lighter than OPL( given the size of just 8MB of Memory Card). A tutorial for the same is on the same channel of which the video has been linked above

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks for suggesting but even after trying to reboot both server and ps2 as well, it's of no avail.. Instead it now works when I am using the neutrino with udpbd server...it's much lighter than OPL( given the size of just 8MB of Memory Card). A tutorial for the same is on the same channel of which the video has been linked above

Did you try with other BD or after disabling Matrix 1.93?

Is Neutrino faster and more compatible than OPL? It seems it's much harder to set than OPL. Can it ran games via UDPBD from an USB device connected to the PC or a nano router, and if so, from the same device where the UDPBD server is (unlike OPL)?

EDIT: I was watching the video you mentioned to be able to run Neutrino via UDPBD but after booting GParted Live and clicking "GParted Live (Default settings)", I have a black screen with a tilt or saying something failed.

SGA001

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try with other BD or after disabling Matrix 1.93?

Is Neutrino faster and more compatible than OPL? It seems it's much harder to set than OPL. Can it ran games via UDPBD from an USB device connected to the PC or a nano router, and if so, from the same device where the UDPBD server is (unlike OPL)?

EDIT: I was watching the video you mentioned to be able to run Neutrino via UDPBD but after booting GParted Live and clicking "GParted Live (Default settings)", I have a black screen with a tilt or saying something failed.
I didn't do any changes in the matrix 1.93 settings.

Yes, but neutrino has nothing to do with speed as both OPL and neutrino would be using the UDPBD server to share data, however neutrino is much much lighter than OPL (given the 8MB memory) and has does have a better compatibily. It doesn't matter whether the Drive is internal or a USB connected to pc(I, myself, am using the USB), only thing is it should be ex-fat formatted through Linux (GParted-if you are using windows), UDPBD server has been there for nano router as well but I haven't tried it yet.

Check if you have properly made the bootable usb files or not, also many systems don't allow to boot from USBs by default, you can check for your respective system and enable it in BIOS setting as per your system model.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I didn't do any changes in the matrix 1.93 settings.

Yes, but neutrino has nothing to do with speed as both OPL and neutrino would be using the UDPBD server to share data, however neutrino is much much lighter than OPL (given the 8MB memory) and has does have a better compatibily. It doesn't matter whether the Drive is internal or a USB connected to pc(I, myself, am using the USB), only thing is it should be ex-fat formatted through Linux (GParted-if you are using windows), UDPBD server has been there for nano router as well but I haven't tried it yet.

Check if you have properly made the bootable usb files or not, also many systems don't allow to boot from USBs by default, you can check for your respective system and enable it in BIOS setting as per your system model.

I was asking if you tried disabling the modchip itself, not changing its settings.

I did and I can boot from USB, hence why I have the mentioned black screen with a tilt or saying something failed.

Also, where did you see Neutrino is more compatible than OPL? The author of the Neutrino UDPBD video says Neutrino is 99% compatible with PS2 games but I don't know where he got that percentage. It seems Neutrino doesn't support SMB (which is what I use in OPL) unlike OPL. Also, I actually have more problems with this game if ran on Neutrino via USB (over XEB+ [using this Neutrino version, which is set to ran from XEB+], since I can't make Neutrino work even via USB the "normal" way, as well) than if ran on OPL via USB. Since Neutrino needs the user to run commands to run an app in Windows to send commands to another one on the PS2 (so, it needs two extra apps, not to mention the GParted Live step), it isn't worth it for me. It's overly complicated. It sucks Neutrino doesn't have a GUI unlike OPL. For me, OPL UDBPD (which already involves commands, but less complicated ones, and doesn't require a second app on the PS2 like ps2link) is already hard to use, let alone Neutrino (including USB, which seems to be less harder to set than UDPBD). Also, unlike what you said, Neutrino also supports FAT32, not only exFAT.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :ohnoes: @NoiseCommander3DS Would you please turn down that noise. I haven't had my COFFEE yet... +1