Tutorial  Updated

How to use LayeredFS for Backup Loading + What Games Work/Don't

This thread is outdated
A lot of information in this thread is heavilly out of date.
If you have time, and have Staff permission, feel free to edit this thread and remove this statement once necessary.

Some information that needs to be addressed:
  • SX OS and Atmosphere now supports proper LayeredFS, instructions for using it has changed since this tutorial was made
  • Supported Firmware information is out of date
  • LFSKit needs to be updated to properly support non 5.x.x firmware
  • Compatability chart needs to be re-made
-PRAGMA

WARNING
  • DO NOT GO ONLINE WHEN DOING THIS (YOU WILL BE BANNED)

How to use LayeredFS for Backup Loading

Firmware Supported: ONLY 5.x.x
Use the PRAGMA LFS Kit below.

PRAGMA's LFS Kit

DOWNLOAD
SOURCE

• Go from NOTHING in your SD Card to playing a game backup in a few clicks!
  • Decrypt .XCI -> romfs/exefs folder with main.nmpd auto edited aswell as folder's name auto renamed to donor titleid
  • Download NOTHING except LFSKit!
ENJOY!

yyTJ8rr.gif

Picking a Donor Title and getting Donor TitleIDRunning Game Backups!

1. A donor title is the application we will run to open the backup.
      Pick a game you don't care about (Download a Demo or a free game from eShop, for example Octopath Demo)
      saves are something no one knows much about, we don't fully know where or how they are stored.
      They might overwrite the donor titles save, so seriously pick a game you DONT care about, not a game you rarely play.

2. I also recommend picking a donor title/game combo that has been tested and reported working just so you know if YOU did something wrong or not.
    3. Find the TitleID of the donor title you chose from http://nswdb.com or http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Title_list/Games
      Region must be the same, choose the TitleID for the base-game NOT for the update title, even if your updated.

1. Once again, boot into Hekate-IPL (Step 1).
    2. Enter "Launch firmware" and select "RomFS".
    3. Your now in your system's home menu.
    4. Open the Donor Title you set the TitleID of on that folder and .npmd file earlier.
    5. The game will load up flawlessly.
      If you opened the Title lets say, Fortnite, and Fortnite booted, the titleid of the folder in sd:/atmosphere/titles/{fortnitetitleid} doesnt exist, or doesnt start with 0100.
      If it gives you an error screen, either you didnt edit the main.npmd properly, or its an incompatible title/donor combo.
    To see which games work and which dont using which donor titles, look below.
    If you notice that you used a combination of Game and Donor title that isnt in the list below, post in the thread and I will add it. (look under to see what I need to add to chart).

Troubleshooting

• Black Screen/Infinitely Loading
    Leave it for around 5 minutes then press the home button and go back into the game without closing it. Often this can do the job.
  • Freeze when Loading
    Close the game and try again, its a common occurence, you may have to try up to 4-5 times before getting it to work, sometimes you may even have to reboot between retries.

Last edited by PRAGMA,

Leozairus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Anyone successful run DOOM ? all games (even Fortnite) stop on "Creating/Saving profile"
Games that I tried:

Mk8 Deluxe
Arms
Splatoon 2 EUR
Captain Toad Demo
Fortnite
Pinball Fx3
Minecraft Switch Edition (save 2gb)
"New" Minecraft
sushi Strike demo
voez demo

:/

Dudamax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think i figured out the problem. I tried extracting ARMS and it worked, later i realized that what ARMS and Splatoon 2 had in common were that they required low firmware. So i checked the keys.ini and i found that I only had masterkey 00. However, I tried adding the other masterkeys and tried to decrypt, the application instantly gave me the error, how do i get the keys.ini with all the masterkeys?

hellogbatemp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think i figured out the problem. I tried extracting ARMS and it worked, later i realized that what ARMS and Splatoon 2 had in common were that they required low firmware. So i checked the keys.ini and i found that I only had masterkey 00. However, I tried adding the other masterkeys and tried to decrypt, the application instantly gave me the error, how do i get the keys.ini with all the masterkeys?

https://gbatemp.net/posts/8060145/

EonFenix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the better way to see titles 100% without fail is DEV MENU... very easy and you can take pictures or whatever... install all games and make your own list
I started using this method on LayeredFS and it works beautifully. I use it in airplane mode than I reset the switch, clear the logs as a precaution no ban yet.

Rainbowfied Pokemaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you run the donor "Splatoon 2 Demo" and it actually loads the donor itself "Splatoon 2 demo" (in this case)... that means either you did not have the files setup properly (\\atmosphere\titles\<title id>\exefs and romfs.bin)
or you did not run the right option when Launching Firmware
(for me, in CTCaer mod, it shows "CFW, RomFS, Stock..." example... only RomFS firmware runs the backups)
Welp, now I'm getting "Failed to launch firmware" when booting RomFS

EonFenix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is your sd card and files this is why i switched to switchblade no need to run romfs just load switchblade and it should work.

D

Deleted User

I tried doing Minecraft with XCI2TitleConverter and it just throws an "unhandled exception has occurred in your application"

skflich

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone got Mario Tennis Decrypted? I am running into multiple issues with xci2titleconverter, but I can extract all the files with xci explorer. Any ideas?

Frexxos

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just read about Mario Tennis Aces in a different Forum the following:

I have tested it and it is CONFIRMED WORKING WITH LAYEREDFS with Fornite as donor! (Edit: SAVES WORKING!)

Maybe this will help someone.

skflich

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Decrypt with hactoolgui. Correct me if I'm wrong but you'll only need the largest nca in the secure partition. Just in case you were extracting everything.

Select extract nca -> Output: Generate emulator ready folder -> Yuzu

That'll decrypt it the way you need.

Oh you'd also have to
  • Create the exefs folder
  • Put the files that go into that folder into to it
  • rename RomFS.romfs to romfs.bin

Yeah got the .nca file but when I use hactoolgui it pops up a cmd box and quickly disappears and leaves the folder blank.... grr

Got it to work by manually using hactool. Was able to execute the following command. hactool.exe --romfs=romfs.bin (DIR\nameof.nca -k (filenameofkeys) then I did hactool.exe --exefsdir=exefs (DIR\nameof.nca -k (filenameofkeys). Now i just got to put the files in the folder for the the title ID I want and also had to patch the main.npdm with the Title id using http://carlus.altervista.org/nx/title_id_patcher.html and now it works.

Donor FORTNITE
Game Mario Tennis Aces
Firmware 5.1.0
Saves Yes

Last edited by skflich,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk