Tutorial  Updated

Updating Hekate, Atmosphere, and HOS

Since I only update HOS when needed I don't do this very often which usually means I've forgotten something. Rather than just writing notes to myself I figured I'd write to everyone.

Yes, there are packs that will do this, but they have the potential to introduce other hang-ups and can undo any customizations you may have done. This guide is for educating your self on the entire process.

Standard disclaimers apply, I'm not responsible for things going south.

Acronyms:
HOS: Horizon/Switch OS
AMS: Atmosphere

Dependency order:
Hekate -> Atmosphere -> HOS -> Games

What usually happens is a game requires a higher version of HOS, this then requires a higher version of AMS and Hekate.
  1. Start by grabbing the latest versions of Hekate, AMS, and fusee.bin:
    https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/releases
    https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases
  2. Create a folder on your computer named switch_sd
  3. Extract Hekate and AMS to this folder
  4. Move fusee.bin to the switch_sd/bootloader/payloads folder
  5. Rename the hekate_ctcaer_X.X.X.bin file to payload.bin
Now a word about sigpatches. If you're updating to a major version release of AMS (1.4.x -> 1.5.x) You likely need updated sigpatches. If you're updating a major HOS version (15.x.x -> 16.x.x) you WILL need new sigpatches. Sigpatches can be located with some searching but they cannot be direct linked here. There is also a thread explaining how to make your own sigpatches if you wish. https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-create-your-own-sigpatches.616288/

If you're updating sigpatches, they go in the following locations:
  • switch_sd/bootloader/patches.ini
  • switch_sd/atmosphere/exefs_patches (I usually forget this one and then games refuse to load)
  • switch_sd/atmosphere/kip_patches
Now a word about mods and overlays (Tesla). If you're updating to a major version release of AMS (1.4.x -> 1.5.x) you likely need to update these as well. For any mods you've added, you will need to either find updates for them and copy them into the switch_sd folder or rename the atmosphere/contents and atmosphere/kips folders on your Switch SD card to contents.bak and kips.bak respectively. This will prevent issues with incompatible modules but obviously you won't have your modules/cheats/mods until you update/merge them back to their respective folders. If the mods you're using have source available, you can usually compile your own version of the mod for the new AMS version but that's out of scope for this tutorial.

Overlays are located in the /switch/.overlays folder on your Switch SD card. Either update, move, or delete ones that aren't built for your new version of AMS/HOS.

Finally you should have everything ready to update Hekate & AMS. AMS cannot be updated while its running so:
  1. Reboot to Hekate and mount the SD card with the USB tools
  2. Make a backup of your existing atmosphere and bootloader files if you wish
  3. Make a backup of your payload.bin file if you wish
  4. Copy the contents of the switch_sd folder to the Switch SD card and overwrite any existing files
  5. Rename the atmosphere/contents and atmosphere/kips folders if you've not updated your mods
  6. Reboot and you should be running the current version of Hekate & Atmosphere
Themes: For HOS themes it is recommended to delete/rename the /atmosphere/contents/0100000000001000 folder on your Switch SD card and re-create with a current version of NXThemes Installer after you've updated HOS. It also sounds like there is an option in NXThemes Installer to do this for you.

If everything is working you should now be ready to update HOS.
  1. Locate the firmware you wish to update to. Again this cannot be linked here but is available with some searching
  2. Extract it to a folder and copy this folder to your Switch SD card
  3. Boot to emummc or sysmmc depending on which one you want to update
  4. Use Daybreak to update the HOS version. Select fat32+exFAT even if you don't use exFAT to prevent any issues in the future
  5. Reboot when prompted
Congratulations! You've updated Hekate, AMS, and HOS.

Last edited by l7777,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Since I only update HOS when needed I don't do this very often which usually means I've forgotten something. Rather than just writing notes to myself I figured I'd write to everyone.

Yes, there are packs that will do this, but they also have a tendency to not work and clobber any customizations you may have done. This guide is not for those.

Standard disclaimers apply, I'm not responsible for things going south.

Acronyms:
HOS: Horizon/Switch OS
AMS: Atmosphere

Dependency order:
Hekate -> Atmosphere -> HOS -> Games

What usually happens is a game requires a higher version of HOS, this then requires a higher version of AMS and Hekate.
  1. Start by grabbing the latest versions of Hekate, AMS, and fusee.bin:
    https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/releases
    https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases
  2. Create a folder on your computer named switch_sd
  3. Extract Hekate and AMS to this folder
  4. Move fusee.bin to the switch_sd/bootloader/payloads folder
  5. Rename the hekate_ctcaer_X.X.X.bin file to payload.bin
Now a word about sigpatches. If you're updating to a major version release of AMS (1.4.x -> 1.5.x) You likely need updated sigpatches. If you're updating a major HOS version (15.x.x -> 16.x.x) you WILL need new sigpatches. Sigpatches can be located with some searching but they cannot be direct linked here. There is also a thread explaining how to make your own sigpatches if you wish. https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-create-your-own-sigpatches.616288/

If you're updating sigpatches, they go in the following locations:
  • switch_sd/bootloader/patches.ini
  • switch_sd/atmosphere/exefs_patches (I usually forget this one and then games refuse to load)
  • switch_sd/atmosphere/kip_patches
Now a word about mods and overlays (Tesla). If you're updating to a major version release of AMS (1.4.x -> 1.5.x) you likely need to update these as well. For any mods you've added, you will need to either find updates for them and copy them into the switch_sd folder or rename the atmosphere/contents and atmosphere/kips folders on your Switch sd card to contents.bak and kips.bak respectively. This will prevent issues with incompatible modules but obviously you won't have your modules/cheats/mods until you update/merge them back to their respective folders. If the mods you're using have source available, you can usually compile your own version of the mod for the new AMS version but that's out of scope for this tutorial.

Finally you should have everything ready to update Hekate & AMS. AMS cannot be updated while its running so:
  1. Reboot to Hekate and mount the SD card with the USB tools
  2. Make a backup of your existing atmosphere and bootloader files if you wish
  3. Make a backup of your payload.bin file if you wish
  4. Copy the contents of the switch_sd folder to the Switch SD card and overwrite any existing files
  5. Rename the atmosphere/contents and atmosphere/kips folders if you've not updated your mods
  6. Reboot and you should be running the current version of Hekate & Atmosphere
If everything is working you should now be ready to update HOS.
  1. Locate the firmware you wish to update to. Again this cannot be linked here but is available with some searching
  2. Extract it to a folder and copy this folder to your Switch SD card
  3. Boot to emummc or sysmmc depending on which one you want to update
  4. Use Daybreak to update the HOS version. Select fat32+exFAT even if you don't use exFAT to prevent any issues in the future
  5. Reboot when prompted
Congratulations! You've updated Hekate, AMS, and HOS.
great guide you only miss the removing of theme related items BEFORE update FW to avoid crash. keep going.

l7777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
great guide you only miss the removing of theme related items BEFORE update FW to avoid crash. keep going.
I can probably add that, but I don't do any theming so I don't know what that process would look like. Are we talking about Hekate/nyx or AMS themes? Is there an easy way to remove/disable them?

Reactions: Hmed

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I can probably add that, but I don't do any theming so I don't know what that process would look like. Are we talking about Hekate/nyx or AMS themes? Is there an easy way to remove/disable them?
hello there, nop, the HOS theming, the main way to do it is using NXThemeInstaller https://github.com/exelix11/SwitchThemeInjector/releases which create RomFS folders on SD:/Atmosphere/Content to using the Atmosphère capabilities of replacing RomFS on fly but if you have a folder for a firmware and you change the firmware is very probable you get crash, so you need to remove that folders before update firmware, I will try to send you a step by step guide.

I learned about that on:

https://rentry.org/InstallingThemes

https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/extras/theming/

GentlemanPotato

Trophies
XP
Country
They're referring to Switch Custom Themes using NXThemesInstaller, the best thing to do before updating is to delete the '0100000000001000' folder from 'atmosphere/contents/' to make sure you don't get a crash on boot then reinstall the theme after updating

Reactions: 6adget and Hmed

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
They're referring to Switch Custom Themes using NXThemesInstaller, the best thing to do before updating is to delete the '0100000000001000' folder from 'atmosphere/contents/' to make sure you don't get a crash on boot then reinstall the theme after updating
yes, even now NXThemes installer NRO have a item for deleting all needed folders before an update.
Post automatically merged:

Well before you update your firmware, go to HBL and load NXThemes Installer:
2023042620255700-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg

Inside you Select the Menu "Uninstall theme" then select the option "Uninstall the current theme"
2023042620261900-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg

Then you can go to Daybreak and update your firmware.

after the reeboot, you run again NXThemeInstaller and reinstall any theme you like.

Last edited by impeeza,

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, there are packs that will do this, but they also have a tendency to not work
I feel personally attacked by this haha. But in all seriousness, DeepSea gets tested by multiple people on multiple switches and it does work. People like to mess with their installations and add themes etc which will obviously break the next FW update but DeepSea also includes a payload to delete all themes, disable all sysmodules etc etc. It is made for people who are not as experienced or simply don't want the hassle.

I think everyone should know how its done manually though as it helps everyone to understand it and be their own source of guidance.

Reactions: BigOnYa and Hmed

l7777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel personally attacked by this haha. But in all seriousness, DeepSea gets tested by multiple people on multiple switches and it does work. People like to mess with their installations and add themes etc which will obviously break the next FW update but DeepSea also includes a payload to delete all themes, disable all sysmodules etc etc. It is made for people who are not as experienced or simply don't want the hassle.

I think everyone should know how its done manually though as it helps everyone to understand it and be their own source of guidance.
No insult to pack maintainers intended of course. :) Perhaps "Packs can introduce other hang-ups." would have been more appropriate. It was an attempt to head off the "Why don't you just use XXXX pack instead of this craziness." replies.

Reactions: Slluxx

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No insult to pack maintainers intended of course. :) Perhaps "Packs can introduce other hang-ups." would have been more appropriate. It was an attempt to head off the "Why don't you just use XXXX pack instead of this craziness." replies.
Yeah don't worry, i get that :D

Reactions: BigOnYa

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should probably remove the line : Yes, there are packs that will do this, but they also have a tendency to not work and clobber any customizations you may have done. This guide is not for those.

I know packs out there work fine, I know people use packs like Deepsea, SD Setup, HATS etc.

Crowla33R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Now a word about mods and overlays (Tesla). If you're updating to a major version release of AMS (1.4.x -> 1.5.x) you likely need to update these as well. For any mods you've added, you will need to either find updates for them and copy them into the switch_sd folder or rename the atmosphere/contents and atmosphere/kips folders on your Switch SD card to contents.bak and kips.bak respectively. This will prevent issues with incompatible modules but obviously you won't have your modules/cheats/mods until you update/merge them back to their respective folders. If the mods you're using have source available, you can usually compile your own version of the mod for the new AMS version but that's out of scope for this tutorial."

May I ask what you meant by "issues with incompatible modules"? Would leaving the unupdated mods and overlays like Tesla alone (aka not using it) without either updating or renaming it cause a system crash or anything severe? I plan to just update the hekate,atmos, hos then just slowly test out which old mods/overlays could be compatible without tinkering.

l7777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Now a word about mods and overlays (Tesla). If you're updating to a major version release of AMS (1.4.x -> 1.5.x) you likely need to update these as well. For any mods you've added, you will need to either find updates for them and copy them into the switch_sd folder or rename the atmosphere/contents and atmosphere/kips folders on your Switch SD card to contents.bak and kips.bak respectively. This will prevent issues with incompatible modules but obviously you won't have your modules/cheats/mods until you update/merge them back to their respective folders. If the mods you're using have source available, you can usually compile your own version of the mod for the new AMS version but that's out of scope for this tutorial."

May I ask what you meant by "issues with incompatible modules"? Would leaving the unupdated mods and overlays like Tesla alone (aka not using it) without either updating or renaming it cause a system crash or anything severe? I plan to just update the hekate,atmos, hos then just slowly test out which old mods/overlays could be compatible without tinkering.
In the case of overlays, you could get away with "not using it". In the case of something like sys-oc-suite though it will attempt to load when AMS boots. If the version you're using isn't compatible with the AMS version you could get a crash or failure to load. In either case the solution would be to remove the offending mod or replace it with a version that matches your AMS version.

Crowla33R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I really need to back up or find overlay update before updating HOS..thank you.

I have another question, how do I go about updating things like Daybreak ? There's Daybreak.nro in AIO updater. Actually looking in the AIO updater it seems to have everything ready but I've never used AIO updater before, so could I ask you to please guide me in this aspect?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
So I really need to back up or find overlay update before updating HOS..thank you.

I have another question, how do I go about updating things like Daybreak ? There's Daybreak.nro in AIO updater. Actually looking in the AIO updater it seems to have everything ready but I've never used AIO updater before, so could I ask you to please guide me in this aspect?
On https://gbatemp.net/threads/tesla-the-nintendo-switch-overlay-menu.557362/post-10121629 there is a list of updated OVLs and the repo for you to look the latest versions.

Reactions: Crowla33R

l7777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Usually a google search will turn up a github page for whatever you might be looking for. There are also usually threads here on gbatemp. In the case of using AIO, I'm sure there are threads on that too. This one was for people who wanted to source things themselves and understand what the updaters are doing.

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Daybreak comes with atmosphere. So when you update atmosphere, you'll update daybreak (saying you copy the file/switch folder to your sd card)

Reactions: impeeza

luibee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Follow the guide, after get to Hekate>Payload>Fusee. I got a yellow screen and freeze. Anyone knows how to fix this?
Thank you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto