Tutorial  Updated

Updating Hekate, Atmosphere, and HOS

Since I only update HOS when needed I don't do this very often which usually means I've forgotten something. Rather than just writing notes to myself I figured I'd write to everyone.

Yes, there are packs that will do this, but they have the potential to introduce other hang-ups and can undo any customizations you may have done. This guide is for educating your self on the entire process.

Standard disclaimers apply, I'm not responsible for things going south.

Acronyms:
HOS: Horizon/Switch OS
AMS: Atmosphere

Dependency order:
Hekate -> Atmosphere -> HOS -> Games

What usually happens is a game requires a higher version of HOS, this then requires a higher version of AMS and Hekate.
  1. Start by grabbing the latest versions of Hekate, AMS, and fusee.bin:
    https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/releases
    https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases
  2. Create a folder on your computer named switch_sd
  3. Extract Hekate and AMS to this folder
  4. Move fusee.bin to the switch_sd/bootloader/payloads folder
  5. Rename the hekate_ctcaer_X.X.X.bin file to payload.bin
Now a word about sigpatches. If you're updating to a major version release of AMS (1.4.x -> 1.5.x) You likely need updated sigpatches. If you're updating a major HOS version (15.x.x -> 16.x.x) you WILL need new sigpatches. Sigpatches can be located with some searching but they cannot be direct linked here. There is also a thread explaining how to make your own sigpatches if you wish. https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-create-your-own-sigpatches.616288/

If you're updating sigpatches, they go in the following locations:
  • switch_sd/bootloader/patches.ini
  • switch_sd/atmosphere/exefs_patches (I usually forget this one and then games refuse to load)
  • switch_sd/atmosphere/kip_patches
Now a word about mods and overlays (Tesla). If you're updating to a major version release of AMS (1.4.x -> 1.5.x) you likely need to update these as well. For any mods you've added, you will need to either find updates for them and copy them into the switch_sd folder or rename the atmosphere/contents and atmosphere/kips folders on your Switch SD card to contents.bak and kips.bak respectively. This will prevent issues with incompatible modules but obviously you won't have your modules/cheats/mods until you update/merge them back to their respective folders. If the mods you're using have source available, you can usually compile your own version of the mod for the new AMS version but that's out of scope for this tutorial.

Overlays are located in the /switch/.overlays folder on your Switch SD card. Either update, move, or delete ones that aren't built for your new version of AMS/HOS.

Finally you should have everything ready to update Hekate & AMS. AMS cannot be updated while its running so:
  1. Reboot to Hekate and mount the SD card with the USB tools
  2. Make a backup of your existing atmosphere and bootloader files if you wish
  3. Make a backup of your payload.bin file if you wish
  4. Copy the contents of the switch_sd folder to the Switch SD card and overwrite any existing files
  5. Rename the atmosphere/contents and atmosphere/kips folders if you've not updated your mods
  6. Reboot and you should be running the current version of Hekate & Atmosphere
Themes: For HOS themes it is recommended to delete/rename the /atmosphere/contents/0100000000001000 folder on your Switch SD card and re-create with a current version of NXThemes Installer after you've updated HOS. It also sounds like there is an option in NXThemes Installer to do this for you.

If everything is working you should now be ready to update HOS.
  1. Locate the firmware you wish to update to. Again this cannot be linked here but is available with some searching
  2. Extract it to a folder and copy this folder to your Switch SD card
  3. Boot to emummc or sysmmc depending on which one you want to update
  4. Use Daybreak to update the HOS version. Select fat32+exFAT even if you don't use exFAT to prevent any issues in the future
  5. Reboot when prompted
Congratulations! You've updated Hekate, AMS, and HOS.

Last edited by l7777,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hi, I downloaded the "Atmosphère 1.5.5 (latest)"
I you did read the messages above SciresM states why YOU NEED a new version of Atmosphère and why that version is not an official release so is a TAG, https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases/tag/1.6.1-prerelease

Even SciresM Explains why the panic screen, what causes it and how the new release solve it.

So please download the latest pre-release and update your SD Card and your payload.

https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases/tag/1.6.1-prerelease

luibee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I you did read the messages above SciresM states why YOU NEED a new version of Atmosphère and why that version is not an official release so is a TAG, https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases/tag/1.6.1-prerelease

Even SciresM Explains why the panic screen, what causes it and how the new release solve it.

So please download the latest pre-release and update your SD Card and your payload.

https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases/tag/1.6.1-prerelease
Thanks a lot. Just one question? I dont understand what you meant by "Download from tags" mean. I found the 2 files in the Assets area:
atmosphere-1.6.1-prerelease-7f4450f93+hbl-2.4.3+hbmenu-3.5.1.zip
fusee.bin
Are these 2 files correct?
If I successfully loaded to atmosphere after this, is it correct to go to daybreak to update my firmware to 16.1.0?
Thank you for your answer impeeza.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I downloaded the "Atmosphère 1.5.5 (latest)"
Post automatically merged:

Hekate is hekate v6.0.7 & Nyx v1.5.6

1.5.5 ain't the latest.
Post automatically merged:

Thanks a lot. Just one question? I dont understand what you meant by "Download from tags" mean. I found the 2 files in the Assets area:
fusee.bin
If I successfully loaded to atmosphere after this, is it correct to go to daybreak to update my firmware to 16.1.0?

Fusee.bin is Atmosphere bootloader for people that doesn't use Hekate to boot Atmosphere.

• Love
Reactions: impeeza and luibee

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
fusee.bin
Tags are a section of GitHub downloads:
1697689203991.png

So on tags you get:
1697689241590.png

ZIP (source code on zip format)
tar.gz (source code on tar format)
notes (release notes)
Downloads THERE YOU GET THAT VERSION, on downloads you get:

1697689349928.png

RED: The atmosphère release.
Yellow: payload.bin of latest release
Green: source code, almos never you will need those.

Reactions: Slluxx and luibee

boxer29

Trophies
XP
Country
Since I only update HOS when needed I don't do this very often which usually means I've forgotten something. Rather than just writing notes to myself I figured I'd write to everyone.

Yes, there are packs that will do this, but they have the potential to introduce other hang-ups and can undo any customizations you may have done. This guide is for educating your self on the entire process.

Standard disclaimers apply, I'm not responsible for things going south.

Acronyms:
HOS: Horizon/Switch OS
AMS: Atmosphere

Dependency order:
Hekate -> Atmosphere -> HOS -> Games

What usually happens is a game requires a higher version of HOS, this then requires a higher version of AMS and Hekate.
  1. Start by grabbing the latest versions of Hekate, AMS, and fusee.bin:
    https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/releases
    https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases
  2. Create a folder on your computer named switch_sd
  3. Extract Hekate and AMS to this folder
  4. Move fusee.bin to the switch_sd/bootloader/payloads folder
  5. Rename the hekate_ctcaer_X.X.X.bin file to payload.bin
Now a word about sigpatches. If you're updating to a major version release of AMS (1.4.x -> 1.5.x) You likely need updated sigpatches. If you're updating a major HOS version (15.x.x -> 16.x.x) you WILL need new sigpatches. Sigpatches can be located with some searching but they cannot be direct linked here. There is also a thread explaining how to make your own sigpatches if you wish. https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-create-your-own-sigpatches.616288/

If you're updating sigpatches, they go in the following locations:
  • switch_sd/bootloader/patches.ini
  • switch_sd/atmosphere/exefs_patches (I usually forget this one and then games refuse to load)
  • switch_sd/atmosphere/kip_patches
Now a word about mods and overlays (Tesla). If you're updating to a major version release of AMS (1.4.x -> 1.5.x) you likely need to update these as well. For any mods you've added, you will need to either find updates for them and copy them into the switch_sd folder or rename the atmosphere/contents and atmosphere/kips folders on your Switch SD card to contents.bak and kips.bak respectively. This will prevent issues with incompatible modules but obviously you won't have your modules/cheats/mods until you update/merge them back to their respective folders. If the mods you're using have source available, you can usually compile your own version of the mod for the new AMS version but that's out of scope for this tutorial.

Overlays are located in the /switch/.overlays folder on your Switch SD card. Either update, move, or delete ones that aren't built for your new version of AMS/HOS.

Finally you should have everything ready to update Hekate & AMS. AMS cannot be updated while its running so:
  2. Make a backup of your existing atmosphere and bootloader files if you wish
  3. Make a backup of your payload.bin file if you wish
  4. Copy the contents of the switch_sd folder to the Switch SD card and overwrite any existing files
  5. Rename the atmosphere/contents and atmosphere/kips folders if you've not updated your mods
  6. Reboot and you should be running the current version of Hekate & Atmosphere
Themes: For HOS themes it is recommended to delete/rename the /atmosphere/contents/0100000000001000 folder on your Switch SD card and re-create with a current version of NXThemes Installer after you've updated HOS. It also sounds like there is an option in NXThemes Installer to do this for you.

If everything is working you should now be ready to update HOS.
  1. Locate the firmware you wish to update to. Again this cannot be linked here but is available with some searching
  2. Extract it to a folder and copy this folder to your Switch SD card
  3. Boot to emummc or sysmmc depending on which one you want to update
  4. Use Daybreak to update the HOS version. Select fat32+exFAT even if you don't use exFAT to prevent any issues in the future
  5. Reboot when prompted
Congratulations! You've updated Hekate, AMS, and HOS.
1) reboot to hekate ( the old version through jig running CFW.) or the new one downloaded

l7777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) reboot to hekate ( the old version through jig running CFW.) or the new one downloaded
Either actually should work. In my process it would be the old version as I update everything once Hekate has mounted the sdcard as a USB Mass Storage device.

chimot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
sorry noob here. so when i say im still on 16.xx that means the horizon firmware? do we have 2 firmware horizon and atmo? can we have 16 on HOZ but 17 on Atmo (because to play Prince of persia apparently we need to be on 17). or just follow the above steps everytime dont and i will be fine? (meaning upgrading both hoz and atmo - in the correct order as above steps_) thanks. im using emunand on sdcard ofcourse.

l7777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry noob here. so when i say im still on 16.xx that means the horizon firmware? do we have 2 firmware horizon and atmo? can we have 16 on HOZ but 17 on Atmo (because to play Prince of persia apparently we need to be on 17). or just follow the above steps everytime dont and i will be fine? (meaning upgrading both hoz and atmo - in the correct order as above steps_) thanks. im using emunand on sdcard ofcourse.
HOS, Hekate, and Atmosphere all have their own versions. The HOS version will dictate the minimum required Atmosphere and Hekate versions. Any mods or sysmodules will likely also have their own versions and updates.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
HOS Atmosphère and hekate are SEPARATED products, you can ( and should) update Atmosphère and hekate to latest version any time, and always BEFORE updating HOS version

Reactions: BigOnYa

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I think you misunderstand. HOS is Nintendo's firmware and that will always be there, both in SysMMC and EmuMMC or whether you run OFW or CFW. You can run different versions of HOS in SysMMC and EmuMMC if you like. I think that is what you are asking.

Atmosphere is the CFW that patches HOS. The latest version is 1.6.2

• Love
Reactions: BigOnYa and impeeza

Arkz

Trophies
XP
Country
Good guide. Only thing I'd change is instead of doing all that for the sigpatches, you could enable the internet on your switch, launch awoo, manage sig patches, install sig patches, restart.

Yer done, delete wifi details or otherwise block the console connecting to ninty, you can launch software no probs.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I think you misunderstand. HOS is Nintendo's firmware and that will always be there, both in SysMMC and EmuMMC or whether you run OFW or CFW. You can run different versions of HOS in SysMMC and EmuMMC if you like. I think that is what you are asking.

Atmosphere is the CFW that patches HOS. The latest version is 1.6.2
HOS is the original OS of the console.

EmuNAND is a virtual NAND on a Partition or a set of files.
SysNAND is the files on the physical EMMC chip.

You can have different versions of files on the EmuNAND and the SysNAND without problem, moreover, you can have several EmuNAND each with different HOS and Software Installed.

Reactions: petspeed

l7777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good guide. Only thing I'd change is instead of doing all that for the sigpatches, you could enable the internet on your switch, launch awoo, manage sig patches, install sig patches, restart.

Yer done, delete wifi details or otherwise block the console connecting to ninty, you can launch software no probs.
There are many ways to accomplish the end result, this was my attempt at laying out how things work without relying on other applications/packages. Was hoping it would help people who have tried the easy button and run into issues.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?