Hacking [How-to] Upgrade your old3ds from 4.1-8.1 to 9.2.0-20

D

Deleted User

I'm guessing nintendo blocked 3DNUS and other things to download parts of old firmwares since when i'm trying to download 9.2.0-E it stops at NATIVE_FIRM. When i download 9.5.0-23E it stops at Internet Browser, but i already had an backup.

Anyone who have the 9.2.0-E cia files, can they send to me?

code54

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I read the entire thread to avoid any brick, but trying to update my O3DS to 9.2.0 via the rxTools devmode and sysupdater 0.3 resulted in a brick. Looks like I need hardmod :/

Last edited by code54,
Reactions: jmleolgq

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
Hi

just want to share my experience with the 3ds downgrading/upgrading with gateway ordeal

scenario:
3ds is on 6.2x something
I know how to setup rx/mset/i have a dsflashcart and a cubicn on standby.
anyway; gw browser launcher works/6x mset works,
emunand boots fine, but CAN'T UPDATE the emunand to latest.
I'm assuming this is a network quality issue, but I've tried several times on different connections. tested other units (my other 3ds) and it doesn't have this issue, so I know my connection is fine and something else is amiss.

I thought about DG'ing from 6x to 4x via gateway launcher,
however upon the 7th, it says a fatal error has occurred, hence my research.

then I stumbled upon this page,

I did several attempts to go about this and they are as follows:
first update emunand to 10.1 via sysupder (via download update packs)
normal system update fails (as mentioned earlier)
second update sysnand from 6x to 9.2x via bbm/sysupdater (via update packs)
again resulted in a brick
third update sysnand from 6x to 7.x (to test if i can DG from 7x to 4x) with the same process, again resulted in a brick.
fourth, update sysnand 6x to 6x (i read somewhere that there's a problem with fws 5x-8x that's causing issues), so I thought, about updating my partially broken 6x with full update packs that contains 6x files. (should append the missing / broken stuff)
my idea was, 6x to 6x is not a big jump as compared to 6-7 and 6-9, the chance for compatiblity is higher.
so there I went, I launched bbm, installed all the cias, it skipped a few existing files, after a few more files; the import is finished.
to my surprise, it worked. the system is now 6.3.0-12U as compared to 6.2x originally.

from there, I tried to use GW to DG back to 4x, and bam, seeing the downgrading twl etc and going past 7th brought me joy.
gateway DG seemed to say everything worked just fine.

so I rebooted my 3ds, and there i have it, I have 4.2.0-9U

as of this moment, everything seems to be in order.
my next step is to reformat emunand while on 4.x since i have that copy from the first faulty 6.x

if it installs fine then I know I won't have anymore problems.

just sharing to you guys just in case you have the same issue.

thanks to gbatemp - first attempts to get sysupdater/3dnus
/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/
/threads/how-to-upgrade-your-old3ds-from-4-1-8-1-to-9-2-0-20-with-pasta-cfw.389187/
/threads/need-to-update-o3ds-from-6-1-to-9-0-2.397799/
thanks to maxconsole for the fix fatal error on gw, the pdf file attached, How to fix the fatal error code 0001001.pdf
threads/288200-How-to-fix-the-fatal-error-code-0001001
threads/287549-Solved-Downgrade-fatal-error-0001001/page5?highlight=fatal+error+0001001
and the proposed bbm update. (it was mentioned that eur versions only have this problem, but seems like even U units have it to)
also that iso site with upload update packs with goodguy pakret ;)

I'm so overjoyed for having this to work since hardmodding the o3ds is such a pain (with my tests I think I did more than 4, broken a few traces and had to find a suitable parallel connection).
given the fact that I only bought this unit at 27USD (bricked, the seller gave his nand backup so i just restored the fcked up 6.x version).

--edit--

emunand currently in 10.1U :D

working as it should.

Observingman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
How to install sysupdater to sysnand to be able to see the icon under rxtools' devmode ? I've installed it on sysnand in devmode rxtools 4.5 with fbi but I cannot see the icon

Last edited by Observingman,

run1492

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Do you mean that , to install a cia under under rxtools devmode the destination should be sd always ? If so, I'd be able to see the icon ?

Thanks !

3DxMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm doing this guide because a lot of peoples asked how to do that recently.
I won't talk about the n3ds because ninjhax (which is required for the pasta cfw) doesn't work on 8.1J, and there's is no point in upgrading a 9.0 n3ds.

Disable the firmlaunch first if you're using the ninjhax version.

1. Download and launch 3DNUS
2. Type 9.2.0-20 in title id, and your region in version (EUR, USA or JPN)
3. It will create a 9.2.0-20 folder and download a bunch of cias in it, while it's downloading, download sysupdater and put the cia version on your sd card, then create a 'updates' folder in your sdcard root.
4. After the download finished, copy all the cias files from the 9.2.0-20 folder to the updates folder
5. Start Pasta, install sysupdater.
6. Launch sysupdater then follow the instructions

PS : You can also use PBT or the rxtools devmode, but never update while in gateway mode, rxMode, cakes or any other cfw using firmlaunch or you'll likely brick your console.

Mirror link for sysupdater : http://jheberg.net/captcha/sysupdater-03/

Edit : You can't use 3DNUS anymore to download the 9.0-9.2 update, but you can find the cia pack on that iso site.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

this Works on a 2ds 6.0.0-12 thanks now i can cold boot CFW rxtools

jmleolgq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I read the entire thread to avoid any brick, but trying to update my O3DS to 9.2.0 via the rxTools devmode and sysupdater 0.3 resulted in a brick. Looks like I need hardmod :/

The same with you, I bricked too, with RXtool 3.0 sysnand, O3DS origin 4.4, used with sysupdater-03

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Guess it's just a click then +2