Hacking [How-to] Spoof firmware (to access eShop and more) on New 3DS and Old 3DS

StarOfDoom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone explain this to an absolute n00b at this type of stuff? I have gateway setup and running on my N3DSXL on 9.0.0-20U, what is NTR CFW, how do you "enable debugger", what do you use to connect? Thanks :P

cjm5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thank you! I was able to get my PAL n3DS to get to the eShop on 9.0.0. Works on a Mac through Wine, too if anyone was wondering.

Reactions: cearp

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Can someone explain this to an absolute n00b at this type of stuff? I have gateway setup and running on my N3DSXL on 9.0.0-20U, what is NTR CFW, how do you "enable debugger", what do you use to connect? Thanks :P
NTR 2 is a "custom firmware" environment launched from Cubic Ninja in sysNAND.

The debugger is used to modify and patch the system in realtime from a PC.

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To enable it, you can do it either from NTR CFW Menu by pressing X+Y or create empty file "debug.flag" on your internal microSD.

One example is the Spoof in 1st post or to mess around with memorys content in realtime like explained in my tutorial.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having a weird issue with the debugger app. When trying to connect to my 3DS it spits this out.

Code:
unexpected token '‘'
  at Microsoft.Scripting.ErrorSink.Add(SourceUnit source, String message, SourceSpan span, Int32 errorCode, Severity severity)
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ReportSyntaxError(Int32 start, Int32 end, String message, Int32 errorCode)
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ReportSyntaxError(Token t, IndexSpan span, Int32 errorCode, Boolean allowIncomplete)
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParsePrimary()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParsePower()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseFactor()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseExpr(Int32 precedence)
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseComparison()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseNotTest()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseAndTest()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseOrTest()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseExpression()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.FinishArgListOrGenExpr()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.AddTrailers(Expression ret, Boolean allowGeneratorExpression)
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParsePower()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseFactor()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseExpr(Int32 precedence)
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseComparison()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseNotTest()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseAndTest()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseOrTest()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseExpression()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseTestListAsExpr()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseExprStmt()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseSmallStmt()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseSimpleStmt()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseStmt()
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseFileWorker(Boolean makeModule, Boolean returnValue)
  at IronPython.Compiler.Parser.ParseFile(Boolean makeModule, Boolean returnValue)
  at IronPython.Runtime.PythonContext.ParseAndBindAst(CompilerContext context)
  at IronPython.Runtime.PythonContext.CompilePythonCode(SourceUnit sourceUnit, CompilerOptions options, ErrorSink errorSink)
  at IronPython.Runtime.PythonContext.CompileSourceCode(SourceUnit sourceUnit, CompilerOptions options, ErrorSink errorSink)
  at Microsoft.Scripting.SourceUnit.Compile(CompilerOptions options, ErrorSink errorSink)
  at Microsoft.Scripting.SourceUnit.Execute(Scope scope, ErrorSink errorSink)
  at Microsoft.Scripting.Hosting.ScriptSource.Execute(ScriptScope scope)
  at ntrclient.CmdWindow.runCmd(String cmd)

Python 2.7.7 is already installed.

Naked_Snake

Constant Miscreant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
To enable it, you can do it either from NTR CFW Menu by pressing X+Y or create empty file "debug.flag" on your internal microSD.

One example is the Spoof in 1st post or to mess around with memorys content in realtime like explained in my tutorial.
So is the debug.flag to keep the settings for the IP address, and has anyone made a plugin yet so we don't need the debugger to connect to eshop

Ten Pound Cow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The latest MH4U gift packs are available to download this month, but they ask you to update your firmware in order to download the gift packs. Does anyone know if spoofing your firmware will work or do I have to update my EmuNAND to the latest version?

Toni456

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The latest MH4U gift packs are available to download this month, but they ask you to update your firmware in order to download the gift packs. Does anyone know if spoofing your firmware will work or do I have to update my EmuNAND to the latest version?
Just make a backup of your emunand before updating, the dlc's are only stored as exdata so it doesnt matter if you revert your emunand back after downloading it.

Kawaii

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Just managed to read 10 page back but haven't found the answer. Sorry.

Can someone clarify my question. Does this technique work with Gateway mode N3DS? From what I understand, I should do all the steps mentioned while im in sysnand (since NTR does not support CFW?). It thats the case, how can I access eshop from my emunand because all of my games are in emunand.

If it is possible to use in gateway mode. does it mean the workflow is like this:
boot sysnand --> NTR spoof ---> boot emunand ---> boot eShop --> profit?

Currently on:
sysnand 9.0.0-20E
emunand 9.5.0-23E

felipejfc

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is it OK ot go on eshop and download updates for a game that does not have a private header? (I will not play online after that)

Toni456

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Is it OK ot go on eshop and download updates for a game that does not have a private header? (I will not play online after that)
i've done it before about once or twice and never got banned, but i think the header is more like the ID you use that gets saved onto the server of the game you plan to play online so it should be fine but i would manually go to the eshop without the game inserted or mounted and search for the update there and download it just to be safe, you dont have to own the game to download the patches for it.

felipejfc

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i've done it before about once or twice and never got banned, but i think the header is more like the ID you use that gets saved onto the server of the game you plan to play online so it should be fine but i would manually go to the eshop without the game inserted or mounted and search for the update there and download it just to be safe, you dont have to own the game to download the patches for it.

Nice!

Thanks!!

Reactions: Toni456

Ten Pound Cow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just make a backup of your emunand before updating, the dlc's are only stored as exdata so it doesnt matter if you revert your emunand back after downloading it.
I forgot to mention that I have an N3DS, so I'm not sure if updating my EmuNAND is an option right now.

goemon_guy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I dunno if I'm missing something or not, but I'm trying to activate System Transfer from System Settings in NTR, but the debugger disconnects upon entering System Settings, meaning that the Transfer app sees that an update is available and won't start.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong... I followed the directions exactly as in the first post.
eShop access works, so I know that it at least works at some point...
Running a new 3DS, 9.0.0-20U.

D

Deleted-19228

Just managed to read 10 page back but haven't found the answer. Sorry.

Can someone clarify my question. Does this technique work with Gateway mode N3DS? From what I understand, I should do all the steps mentioned while im in sysnand (since NTR does not support CFW?). It thats the case, how can I access eshop from my emunand because all of my games are in emunand.

If it is possible to use in gateway mode. does it mean the workflow is like this:
boot sysnand --> NTR spoof ---> boot emunand ---> boot eShop --> profit?

Currently on:
sysnand 9.0.0-20E
emunand 9.5.0-23E

No. You can't run NTR and Gateway at the same time. If you boot into emunand you lose NTR.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot to mention that I have an N3DS, so I'm not sure if updating my EmuNAND is an option right now.

If using Gateway you can, for now, only manually update to 9.5.0. I've been fiddling with emuNand trying to see what it will take to get eShop access by manually updating certain titles hoping not to get a brick. At least I can restore the emuNand if I brick. So far I was able to update the NATIVE_FIRM from 9.6.0 and can still boot emuNand. The eShop from 9.6.0 or 9.7.0 won't boot yet.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I dunno if I'm missing something or not, but I'm trying to activate System Transfer from System Settings in NTR, but the debugger disconnects upon entering System Settings, meaning that the Transfer app sees that an update is available and won't start.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong... I followed the directions exactly as in the first post.
eShop access works, so I know that it at least works at some point...
Running a new 3DS, 9.0.0-20U.

For me the debugger disconnected when entering system settings, but the hack stayed active and it happily received a system transfer. Try again?

D

Deleted-19228

Just testing eShop finally.

I can download a new application, Pokebank, but when I download an update I get a super generic error. Does this have anything to do with previously downloaded patch CIA's installed? I removed them using FBI and the error persists. Any ideas?

Error 007-2999

It's weird that I can download and install applications that haven't been installed before but installing an update just doesn't work. Tried with MH4, Pokemon, all do the same thing.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Just testing eShop finally.

I can download a new application, Pokebank, but when I download an update I get a super generic error. Does this have anything to do with previously downloaded patch CIA's installed? I removed them using FBI and the error persists. Any ideas?

Error 007-2999

It's weird that I can download and install applications that haven't been installed before but installing an update just doesn't work. Tried with MH4, Pokemon, all do the same thing.
have a read here, https://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-broke-pokemon-rumble-world.387704/#post-5470195

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D