Hacking [How-to] Spoof firmware (to access eShop and more) on New 3DS and Old 3DS

Ten Pound Cow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you can update up to 9.5.0
Yeah, my EmuNAND is at 9.5.0, but MH4U wants me to be at the latest firmware if I want to download the two gift packs they released this month, so that's why I was wondering if anyone who plays this game knows if spoofing your firmware will work or not. :)

D

Deleted-19228

So it goes back to what I said originally, has to do with the CIA's I installed originally. Interesting. I can reinstall the CIA's and they actually work on NATIVE_FIRM with no patches except pokemon bank for some reason doesn't. Not worth having to recreate new NATIVE_FIRM and emunand (I keep linked so I can play with stuff between them both). I'll just leave alone for now.

Kawaii

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
No. You can't run NTR and Gateway at the same time. If you boot into emunand you lose NTR.

So basically this method is not an option to update games in Gateway for N3DS. The only way to update games in Gateway N3DS at the moment is via cia installation correct?

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically this method is not an option to update games in Gateway for N3DS. The only way to update games in Gateway N3DS at the moment is via cia installation correct?

My sysNand and emuNand are linked so I installed the CIA games to both sysNand and emuNand so I no longer have to keep unpacking games. Then I use this method to get eShop access and download the update to my games on sysNand. The eShop even detects my custom CIA games and shows those game updates in the update section of settings. This puts the update on the SD card and then I can play the game on emuNand and it detects the update files no problem. This method may be useless if you sysNand and emuNand are not linked like mine are.

Kawaii

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
My sysNand and emuNand are linked so I installed the CIA games to both sysNand and emuNand so I no longer have to keep unpacking games. Then I use this method to get eShop access and download the update to my games on sysNand. The eShop even detects my custom CIA games and shows those game updates in the update section of settings. This puts the update on the SD card and then I can play the game on emuNand and it detects the update files no problem. This method may be useless if you sysNand and emuNand are not linked like mine are.

Okay, that explain a lot =) thanks

Fox-kon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
kitsuneda.at.webry.info
XP
Country
Hi I have an old Japanese 3DS that is 9.2J and then it totally doesn't work.
Seems like to be hanged up on"failed to load", even home button also doesn't work.

I saw "code.c" in fast post, and couldn't found the JP_URL.
Does it support Japanese version?

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to try the system transfer, so to make sure. If I spoof firmware on 9.2 O3DS, can I do a system transfer between that and a 9.7 N3DS? The N3DS would be the giver, the O3DS receiving.

motezazer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I want to try the system transfer, so to make sure. If I spoof firmware on 9.2 O3DS, can I do a system transfer between that and a 9.7 N3DS? The N3DS would be the giver, the O3DS receiving.

1. You can't transfer a 9.6+ to a 9.0-9.5. Check the compatibility list on the first post.
2. Even if you could, you can't System Transfer from a New 3DS to an Old 3DS.

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, but I just want to make sure before I give this a try.

First off, I have the eShop blocked via router to prevent getting an update nag, since I don't have an EmuNAND, hard mod, or anything. I don't mind removing the block, but wanted to make sure that accessing the eShop in this way won't cause me to get the update messages.

Secondly, I just want to update some installed games. Is there anything special that I have to do to do so? I've never gone on the eShop before, having only gotten my N3DS about a month ago and it was on (and still is) 9.0 firmware.

Finally, I have a few homebrew programs installed and Ninjhax set up. I'm fairly certain that I will, but will I have to undo Ninjhax in order to set up this?

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, but I just want to make sure before I give this a try.

First off, I have the eShop blocked via router to prevent getting an update nag, since I don't have an EmuNAND, hard mod, or anything. I don't mind removing the block, but wanted to make sure that accessing the eShop in this way won't cause me to get the update messages.

Secondly, I just want to update some installed games. Is there anything special that I have to do to do so? I've never gone on the eShop before, having only gotten my N3DS about a month ago and it was on (and still is) 9.0 firmware.

Finally, I have a few homebrew programs installed and Ninjhax set up. I'm fairly certain that I will, but will I have to undo Ninjhax in order to set up this?

In order to use NTR you need to remove the Ninjahax save data from the game by holding X+Y+L+R at the main menu. Then while connected to the internet scan the NTR QR code and install the NTR save.

I set my N3DS with a static IP address so I know what it is so I can enter it in the NTR debugger.

I believe the 3DS only downloads the system update data while in sleep mode.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Firstly, accessing the eShop could initiate an update download, leaving you with update nag. BUT, this is easily fixed by entering safemode by holding L+R+A and Up on the D-Pad while powering on your 3DS once on safemode select Cancel, the downloaded update will be deleted and you'll be kicked back to the system menu.

Secondly, you may need to setup a Nintendo Network ID (NNID) before you can download (it's been so long since I did it, so I'm not certain).

ccfman2004 has the third question covered.

D

Deleted-19228

Yeah, my EmuNAND is at 9.5.0, but MH4U wants me to be at the latest firmware if I want to download the two gift packs they released this month, so that's why I was wondering if anyone who plays this game knows if spoofing your firmware will work or not. :)

Funny thing is I bought the digital copy on my MMN3DS and I decided to purchase the retail copy and dump it for my Sky3DS. Their servers flag your NNID as having downloaded the package so you can't download it again. I tried on my spoof N3DS with NTR and encountered the same thing as you. When you go to download the pack it says system software update required. Ended up having to upgrade my o3DS XL to 9.2 so I could use the browser exploit (preserving the new save keys) so I could boot the game in my 9.7 emunand to download the pack to my retail cart. Someone needs to figure out a firmware spoof to work via NTR.

EDIT:

Side note:

If you are running an mset downgraded N3DS the option for NNID is missing so you can't create a NNID from there directly. If you go to eShop and download something like Pokemon Bank it will dump you to the NNID setup though :)

Kuifa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is pretty awesome for updating games to play online, but unfortunately you can't try out the demos.

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
Probably because alot of the newer demo's seem to require 9.5+, I know at least one does if i remember right. That new mario puzzle something something (forget the name atm, im tired) i think it was.

Other than that yeah there's nothing stopping you from downloading demos, whether they'll run or not is another story.

Kuifa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What Shadowtrance said. I wanted to try out that Mario puzzle game but couldn't run it. Heck, I even wanted to play Pokemon Shuffle but no luck (Gunvolt, too).

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Probably because alot of the newer demo's seem to require 9.5+, I know at least one does if i remember right. That new mario puzzle something something (forget the name atm, im tired) i think it was.

Other than that yeah there's nothing stopping you from downloading demos, whether they'll run or not is another story.

well, there are more than 200 demos (at least on the jp store) - most will work :)
but still, it's nothing specific to 'demos'. games/apps, i guess updates too, can all require the new keys.
it's not like the demo will require a new key, whilst the actual full game will not :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Restart creation