Hacking [How-to] Spoof firmware (to access eShop and more) on New 3DS and Old 3DS

Wowfunhappy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are related. As you try to connect with an outdated eShop (i.e. with a bad protocol or whatever), Nintendo thinks that eShop wasn't downloaded properly.
But the eShop is a system title, not a user-downloaded application, which would be treated quite differently.

To be clear, I believe you when you say it doesn't work, but I think you're jumping to conclusions with the explanation. What's more likely is that we're either (A) not patching NIM properly, or (B) there's something else in NIM which needs to be patched.

And I say this especially because I know that other people have gotten the eShop to work by patching NIM.

motezazer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
But the eShop is a system title, not a user-downloaded application, which would be treated quite differently.

To be clear, I believe you when you say it doesn't work, but I think you're jumping to conclusions with the explanation. What's more likely is that we're either (A) not patching NIM properly, or (B) there's something else in NIM which needs to be patched.

And I say this especially because I know that other people have gotten the eShop to work by patching NIM.

Did you remember the whole 5.0 debacle? I don't think they simply patched NIM.

Wowfunhappy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this gets us anywhere, but it's worth noting:

http://3dbrew.org/wiki/NIM_Services

There are two separate services: CheckSysUpdateAvailable and CheckSysUpdateAvailableSOAP. I have read in the IRC channel that both would need to be patched in order for the eShop to work. I don't understand how/why, but it may be worth a try if anyone knows how.

Reactions: Margen67

motezazer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Not sure if this gets us anywhere, but it's worth noting:

http://3dbrew.org/wiki/NIM_Services

There are two separate services: CheckSysUpdateAvailable and CheckSysUpdateAvailableSOAP. I have read in the IRC channel that both would need to be patched in order for the eShop to work. I don't understand how/why, but it may be worth a try if anyone knows how.

They are both patched, because of my idea.
I didn't patch the functions, I patched the URL they use. So they both think that 3DS is on latest firmware.

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly klnow very little on this whole NIM topic, but i think i have a good idea. Since checksysupdateavailable is in NIM: u, that means other things can be their, right? so i saw 0x00050000 because it was software update related, maybe if we patch that it could work? there must be something else, i just dont know what...

motezazer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I honestly klnow very little on this whole NIM topic, but i think i have a good idea. Since checksysupdateavailable is in NIM: u, that means other things can be their, right? so i saw 0x00050000 because it was software update related, maybe if we patch that it could work? there must be something else, i just dont know what...

0x00050000 is used only by Home Menu...

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, cool. I'm guessing this needs patching rather than a redirect to a server saying your on the latest update tho.

Direct patching violates signatures, thus mandating it be used on GW if at all. Not sure how trying to use an unsigned system app would go down, might just fail altogether even in GW.

dkabot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RAM patching, of course. This doesn't break signatures.

Was saying that at CIAwesome above.
After all, if we could readily patch with NTR to not check and assume up-to-date, I'd imagine we would have already.
(As opposed to the previous attempt at patching, which set an update URL it checked instead. That might still have worked, wonder what we missed...)

dkabot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not properly signed system apps are ok in gw :)

Okay, I had just heard once that system apps were very not okay. Could've been wrong info, could've changed. Either way, The More You Know(TM)!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: speaking of roasted nuts, do you guys prefer your peanuts salted or honey roasted?