How to play GameCube games off a USB HDD.

Welcome to my guide! This will teach you to "backup" your games that you TOTALLY legally own. Right?
This guide is completely compatible with Windows, Mac (Wine), and Linux (Wine). I do not have access to an Apple machine, but theoretically, it should work. Please note that this guide requires you to format your HDD, however you can still use it for storage after we're done, so just back it up before we begin.

NOTE BY A MODERATOR :

There are different methods to play Gamecube games off a USB HDD, and this outdated guide will only tell you ONE method.
It will not explain to you how to run gamecube games from USB HDD, but instead will tell you to do things blindly and install specific outdated files and use a specific outdated USB Loader version.
It doesn't cover other USB HDD methods or other Gamecube loaders.
Don't follow this guide if you want updated informations, updated loaders or if you want to use a different gamecube loading method.

You can follow it only if you want DIOS MIOS 2.8 (outdated) and CFG Loader v70 r36 (outdated).
Thanks for reading,
Cyan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need:
-An SD Card
-A USB HDD
-Wii Mote
-GameCube Controller
-A Wii with Homebrew Channel installed
-A GameCube iso

Download Links:

COMPUTER:

1.) Download WiiFlow from the Download List above. Put it in the apps folder of your SD Card.

2.) Download the DIOS MIOS v2.8 RAR. Go to 'DM', then move 'DIOSMIOS_2.8' to the root folder of your SD card, or for easier installation put it in a folder on the root titled 'wad'.

3.) Download MMM, and put it in your apps folder.

4.) In the DM folder in the RAR, there will be a file named DMToolbox.exe, run it, select your games iso file, and choose where you want the game's folder to go (Desktop will do.). Hit 'Install', and the folder will appear where you wanted it to, it will be named the game's ID, which will, to you, appear to be a bunch of random characters.

5.) Download and Install EaseUS Partition master, and open it. Find your HDD, and right click it, and select 'format'. Format it as FAT32 with 32KB Clusters. *DON'T IGNORE! Press OK, and then "Apply".

6.) Look at your empty HDD, and make a 'games' folder. Put the folder with the Game ID in there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WII:

1.) Plug in your HDD in USB Slot 0. Turn on your Wii. Launch Homebrew Channel. Then launch MMM.

2.) Choose WAD Manager on the menu and install DIOSMIOS_2.8.wad

3.) After you're done, exit MMM. Launch WiiFlow.

4.) Go to Settings, and change game partition to USB1

5.) Press 'B', and select the Gamecube icon

7.) Choose a game and press Start. Every time you add new games, you have to hit the home icon, and hit update cache, and your game list will refresh.

Congratulations! You can now play GC games from your USB HDD!

CFG USB LOADERv70 r36:

COMPUTER:
Follow steps 3-7 in the COMPUTER guide above.

WII:

1.) Follow step 3 in the guide above.
2.) Install DIOS MIOS using MMM.
3.) Launch CFG USB Loader.
4.) Click the icon with tools on it
5.) Set "DML Version" to DM.
6.) Launch your game!

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Thanks! Also, I own a GameCube memory card so would I save the games like you would normally?
Yes.
so i have downloaded dios mios. but when i try to play paper mario thousand year door, the intro is really slow. and the music seems to rewind it self all the time, the gameplay is hovever running smoothly. but how do i fix this problem?
It MIGHT be the format of your SD card or USB drive (whichever one you're using.) It can read faster if the sector size is larger. The BIGGEST (fastest) you can get the cluster size and have Dios Mios (Lite) still working is 32k for USB and 64k for SD but anything bigger than that just won't work at all.

RareKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I have been using WBFSManager4.0 to put Wii games on my drive. Everything works. I have like 400 Wii games now. I use Usb Loader GX. I want to try thism, Playing Gamecubes on hard drive. I'm sick of these discs all around my room. I downloaded everything and did everything except for using EaseUS Partition Master 9.2.1. If I need to format doesn't that delete all my games? I don't want to do that. It reads my hard drive as unformated. I'm not gonna format. I want Wii and Gamecube games on my drive. Help please.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Okay so I have been using WBFSManager4.0 to put Wii games on my drive. Everything works. I have like 400 Wii games now. I use Usb Loader GX. I want to try thism, Playing Gamecubes on hard drive. I'm sick of these discs all around my room. I downloaded everything and did everything except for using EaseUS Partition Master 9.2.1. If I need to format doesn't that delete all my games? I don't want to do that. It reads my hard drive as unformated. I'm not gonna format. I want Wii and Gamecube games on my drive. Help please.
Instead of formatting it you could just convert it. Your drive is now in WBFS format. You want it in FAT32. You can use this.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/wbfs2fat-py.291320/
It will change it over and the Wii games will just end up as files in a folder called /WBFS and GX will still be able to play them just fine. The added benefit will be that you will now be able to put those GC games on there as well.

RareKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instead of formatting it you could just convert it. Your drive is now in WBFS format. You want it in FAT32. You can use this.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/wbfs2fat-py.291320/
It will change it over and the Wii games will just end up as files in a folder called /WBFS and GX will still be able to play them just fine. The added benefit will be that you will now be able to put those GC games on there as well.
Yea thanks I never check this site out. Infact I didn't expect a reply anytime soon so I went and look around and found the WBFStoFat thing. Thanks :D

Ciran

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dear everyone,

first of all, thanks for this guide. My Usbloader GX succesfully shows the Gamecube games that are on my HDD.

Unfortunately, when I select 'play' and 'load from usb' the game doesn't work. All I get is a black screen.
I've tried several game files, both PAL and US files, but alas.

I was wondering if someone could help me, because I'm stumped.
The Mios I used is version 2.6, for usb use only.

Perhaps I need to change the boot.dol from the usb loader mod? I first tried the 249 version, but then it didn't recognise the usb and said it couldn't load it. So I tried the 250, and that's brings us to the point where I am now.

My ios is IOS58 v.24.32.

Or perhaps it's because I formated the hdd in a wrong way... I couldn't select the 32kb clusters with the EaseUs program (it's formated in Fat32 and I tried the highest, 16kb), so perhaps that's a problem. Also, do I need to create a partition?

Many thanks in advance. I'd really appreciate some help.

RareKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything set up well. Modded Usb loader and everthing. When I boot up a game I get a DIOS MIOS error that reads "update your launcher" what does that mean? I install DIOS MIOS v2.6 by the way.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Reactions: ct_bolt

RareKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. So everything works I have these disc full of gamecube games. I always use these to play my GC games. It's like a multi boot. So I was able to install all the games I had that were on disc on to the wii. But the games I downloaded and used DiscEX for always crashed. I only downloaded 2. Sonic Gem Collection and 007 Nightfire. These games crashes. Is i the discEX? The games I installed from discs works okay though

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country

Many thanks to you! :grog: I was having some trouble with this & you have helped me so much. :yaywii:

Edit:
So I was just wondering, did you compile that yourself or download it?

I think it was the developer qho compiled this one. Either way I just shared the link.

I'd say create a folder for each of those games inside your /games folder on your Wii and then rename your disk images to exactly "game.iso" and put them in the foldes you've made. A lot of times this actually works better than DiscEX.

RareKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say create a folder for each of those games inside your /games folder on your Wii and then rename your disk images to exactly "game.iso" and put them in the foldes you've made. A lot of times this actually works better than DiscEX.
I actually did it before you said anything and it works now. I'll only use DiscEX for gcn files. Anyway thanks for everything everyone who helped me. I didn't even knew I had a account here I was like "I signed up for a lot of site in the past maybe I have a account here" and so I did and was able to ask for help. Thanks

For the 2 games I added everytime I leave the game running or leave it on pause for 1 minute and unpause the game crash? Why is this happening. I was playing Sonic CD then all of a sudden I get a call and pause for a min then game crash. It's like I have to keep it running I can't stand and watch cutscenes or it will crash so yea?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I actually did it before you said anything and it works now. I'll only use DiscEX for gcn files. Anyway thanks for everything everyone who helped me. I didn't even knew I had a account here I was like "I signed up for a lot of site in the past maybe I have a account here" and so I did and was able to ask for help. Thanks

For the 2 games I added everytime I leave the game running or leave it on pause for 1 minute and unpause the game crash? Why is this happening. I was playing Sonic CD then all of a sudden I get a call and pause for a min then game crash. It's like I have to keep it running I can't stand and watch cutscenes or it will crash so yea?
Actually, a GCN file is just a ISO file with a different name. You could just as well rename "mario.gcn" to "game.iso" and it would work fine. Just FYI.

As far as the game crashing after long pauses, that's because the disk drive goes to sleep to save energy for lack of use. What version of Dios Mios do you have installed? That was supposed to have been fixed in the last couple versions.
Oh OK cool, well thanks for sharing it. :) Where did you find it at? :unsure:
Those are posted here
http://code.google.com/p/usbloader-...colspec=ID Type Status Priority Owner Summary
and actualy, when I went to get the link, looks like there's a new version (r1209)
http://www.mediafire.com/?qdyomo41biv4rei

RareKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, a GCN file is just a ISO file with a different name. You could just as well rename "mario.gcn" to "game.iso" and it would work fine. Just FYI.

As far as the game crashing after long pauses, that's because the disk drive goes to sleep to save energy for lack of use. What version of Dios Mios do you have installed? That was supposed to have been fixed in the last couple versions.

Those are posted here
http://code.google.com/p/usbloader-gui/issues/detail?id=1769&colspec=ID Type Status Priority Owner Summary
and actualy, when I went to get the link, looks like there's a new version (r1209)
http://www.mediafire.com/?qdyomo41biv4rei

DIOSMIOS_2.6

there were 2 in downloads.

DIOS MIOS 2.6 real NAND with DMToolbox (+source)

and

DIOS MIOS 2.6 *NEEK DI with DMToolbox (+source)

which one should I be using?

Dump

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DIOSMIOS_2.6

and

Dios Mios real nand is for you too install it on your wiis internal memory

Dios Mios Neek DI is for you to install it on a emulated nand off your hdd or sd

RareKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DIOSMIOS_2.6

and

Dios Mios real nand is for you too install it on your wiis internal memory

Dios Mios Neek DI is for you to install it on a emulated nand off your hdd or sd

oh I see. What's different? I mean which is better?

Dump

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nether is better just go with the real nand one its prob the one your after
the other is used for a emulated nand if u dont have one you can always make one using modmii :)

RareKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nether is better just go with the real nand one its prob the one your after
the other is used for a emulated nand if u dont have one you can always make one using modmii :)

How do I save my gamecube save files onto wii instead of memory card? I notice that option in settings on usb loader but it doesn't let me put it on it says I need nand emulation. So maybe I should get the other one. But where's the option to make my wii disc drive not move and stuff?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...