Hardware How to make my own GC-to-PC USB adapter?

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I have one GC joypad but i want to make it play on PC via USB port.

Is there some EASIER than this one?? http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/gc_n64_usb/index_en.php

I mean, this is way to complicated for me, but i know how to solder wires and all, but i'm not a expert or something..but something easier i could do...

I dont want to replace GC's original cable, i have GC console i dont need, so i could use joypad ports as bridge for USB cable :)

I was thinking of making something like this (super simple)
gc_n64_usb2.jpeg

Can i get your help? :D

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
The raphnet adapters are pretty darn simple if you can solder. Buy the pre-built board, solder 9 wires to the pads on the board, and you're done. It's not going to get much easier than that.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Short version- no.

Longer version. Some controllers are USB, some are USB in all but port shape, some are otherwise known protocols (bluetooth or 360's thing when done right) and others are entirely custom. The GC was entirely custom meaning you need some logic somewhere. If you are dead set against tearing into the controller it gets more tricky still, by the way I do not believe there is anything at the connector end of the cable so you can slice into the cable and stick in a few wires to do what you like with.

I am afraid I do not know what a sacrificial gamecube will get you beyond a way to have a female port.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You will not be getting anywhere without an intelligent converter (the protocol is fairly unique), so if you cannot build a circuit like the one by Raphaël, you are pretty much out of luck if you do not want to purchase any pre-built parts (such as a miniature version of his circuit you could solder in yourself).

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
except that a don't want to buy one, but make one... thanks anyway ;)
Make a choice, either learn how to print and program a circuit board or buy an adapter.

That cable you have posted a picture is using a miniature circuit board. There is no simple solution, period.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
i'm tottaly lost when i read that website... :sleep:
Go to the section labeled "Schematics" and you have a circuit diagram. Build the circuit. The GC controller requires 3.3v as well as 5v, so you also need a 3.3v regulator that isn't really shown on the main schematic (except that the 3.3v output hooks up to the data line pull-up resistor in the upper right of the schematic), but it does power the 3.3v Vcc supply line on the controller. You'll also need an AVR programmer to program the microcontroller. This is how you build what you want to build. If you can't or don't want to do this, then you'll just have to settle for buying one.

Make a choice, either learn how to print and program a circuit board or buy an adapter.

That cable you have posted a picture is using a miniature circuit board. There is no simple solution, period.
Depends on your definition of simple. Personally, I find this particular project very simple, all the hard work has already been done, all Metoroid0 has to do is follow the design and assemble the thing...

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
except that a don't want to buy one, but make one... thanks anyway ;)
they're also selling the pcb alone for 20$ http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_n64_usb/index.php
except you'll easily break the 10$ you'll save on equipment and stuff needed to complete the project, it's not worth it.

it's not just about soldering a couple of wire, you also have to isolate the pcb to avoid shorts and to find some way to ruggedize the assembly to prevent solder point from breaking from being manipulated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o