Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
DeltaBurnt said:
nl255 said:
Terminator02 said:
so they are a picture format, can they have text with the pictures too? and if so you said there are no guides in bmp anyway... what's the point of it

Actually, you can have up to 9 guides (I think). Just name them Romname.1.txt, Romname.2.txt and so on.

Wow that's cool, I didn't know that.

EDIT: It works but it only works up to 7 guides (txt and bmp add up to the same total).
just wondering if you tried .0.txt as well as 1-7, Just wanted to make sure before I redo my guide

I don't think .0.txt would work. There's only 7 slots on the real time guide's list anyways. I did try 1-7 though.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
DeltaBurnt said:
I don't think .0.txt would work. There's only 7 slots on the real time guide's list anyways. I did try 1-7 though.

Actually, if you have more than 7 it will scroll down. I have 1-9 on Chrono Trigger (7, 8, and 9 are just copies of 1 made for the test) and all 9 show up.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
DeltaBurnt said:

Actually, if you have more than 7 it will scroll down. I have 1-9 on Chrono Trigger (7, 8, and 9 are just copies of 1 made for the test) and all 9 show up.

Hm...that's weird. It didn't scroll for me. Maybe it's because I had a combination of bmp and txt.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, i'm going to start working on the new guide, sorry for taking so long. I will make a new post when It's been updated.

Edit: my bitmap image isn't working... when i try to load it my ds just freezes =(. yes i converted it to bmp 256 color. is there a size limitation? It's a DS Lite btw

Edit 2: not enough time, just found out about some things i have to go to
dry.gif
if someone could please answer my question above, would be very helpful
smileipb2.png
. Expect the update around mondayish.

Edit 500: ok so it turns out i didn't have to go, i will continue experimenting before i start anything

Edit 0: alright i've tried more, pictures and it still doesn't work... I'll try resizing them to DS resolution

Edit -9001 (IT'S UNDER 9000!): again, doesn't work... ugh
sad2.gif

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
Terminator02 said:
so they are a picture format, can they have text with the pictures too? and if so you said there are no guides in bmp anyway... what's the point of it

It's so you can look at the picture for reference while you play. It "guides" you in the game.

Yes you can have a text guide and a picture "guide" for one game at once, it'll just be added to the list. Just make sure you save it as a 256 color bmp (go into paint and load the bmp, then click save-as, goto the file format and click 256 Color Bitmap).
you lied to me -.- i'll check out 24 tomorrow

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
DeltaBurnt said:
Terminator02 said:

It's so you can look at the picture for reference while you play. It "guides" you in the game.

Yes you can have a text guide and a picture "guide" for one game at once, it'll just be added to the list. Just make sure you save it as a 256 color bmp (go into paint and load the bmp, then click save-as, goto the file format and click 256 Color Bitmap).
you lied to me -.- i'll check out 24 tomorrow

Well I heard the 256 color bitmap from someone else, and when I posted that I had yet to test it.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on vacation right now, sorry i never got around to doing that bmp guide
i-sorry.jpg
anywayz, just bumping this so people can see it. I'll be back next saturday, maybe get it done by the wednsday after that. In case you're wondering, I'm at the Smoky Mountains
tongue.gif

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
I'm on vacation right now, sorry i never got around to doing that bmp guide
i-sorry.jpg
anywayz, just bumping this so people can see it. I'll be back next saturday, maybe get it done by the wednsday after that. In case you're wondering, I'm at the Smoky Mountains
tongue.gif

Don't worry about it, you could also PM the mods and see if they'd sticky this.

Also a little off topic but I've been to the Smoky Mountains quite a bit, it's where my Dad and Step-mom got married.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, thanks for getting us started with this. It was pretty confusing for me at first. However, You can have more than 10 guides, it seems. When labeling a game file, it like this:

"Tetris DS.01.txt"
"Tetris DS.02.txt"
"Tetris DS.03.txt"

etc. I've only tested it with 12 so far, but it seems to be working just fine.

It's also interesting to note that, if one of your text files is empty, DSTWO won't load it. It's not a bad thing, at all - but it's something worth noting. I'm going to try the .bmp images to see if it works with the .01 method. If it does, then I don't think we have a limit on our guides, which is awesome.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
you could also PM the mods and see if they'd sticky this.I probably won't until I finish it and add in more details, once it's more complete

QUOTE(Windaga @ Jul 5 2010, 12:08 PM) Hey, thanks for getting us started with this. It was pretty confusing for me at first. However, You can have more than 10 guides, it seems. When labeling a game file, it like this:

"Tetris DS.01.txt"
"Tetris DS.02.txt"
"Tetris DS.03.txt"

etc. I've only tested it with 12 so far, but it seems to be working just fine.

It's also interesting to note that, if one of your text files is empty, DSTWO won't load it. It's not a bad thing, at all - but it's something worth noting. I'm going to try the .bmp images to see if it works with the .01 method. If it does, then I don't think we have a limit on our guides, which is awesome.
Just make sure your images are saved in 24bit .bmp, or the DSTWO will just freeze when you try to open it. You can change the image to .bmp by loading it into microsoft paint and saving it as 24bit .bmp in the save options when you "save as".

Also, I believe that the .bmps can start over the numbers, so the images could be

"Tetris DS.01.bmp"
"Tetris DS.02.bmp"
etc.

even when used with your .txts, the .txts will show up first

I used just .1 and .2 etc. and I found that .0 also worked.

Keep in mind I haven't fully tested this so I could be wrong

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I know. I've already got it working. Here's a quick write up:

QUOTE said:
How to view images in DSTwo's Guide

1.Open your image up in Photo Shop.
2.Go to "File - Save As"
3. Save your file as "GameName.01.bmp"
example1qk.png

(where "GameName" is the exact name of your .NDS file you are creating the guide for.)

4. When prompted, click "24", then "save."

example2mn.png

Reminders:
-Make sure your image name is the EXACT name of your .NDS file.

-You can have any number of saved images and text files - there is no current limit. Just be sure to label your image files "GameName.01.bmp, GameName.02.bmp, GameName.16.bmp, etc., and your text files "GameName.01.txt, GameName.02.txt, GameName.16.txt

-You can have a mix of .txt files and .bmp files. I have 16 Text files and 16 image files for one game and they all work fine.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mind if I put that in the OP? i'll give you credit. It's just that I don't have photoshop so I can't make one. I'll give you credit of course.

P.S. what program did you use for capturing your screens?

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not at all, be my guest.

And I use the Screen Capture button on my keyboard - it's a standard function on most keyboards. On most keyboards, it's labeled "PRTSC/SYSRQ"

If not, if you're using Windows 7, there's a program called "Snipping Tool" that does the same thing.

Here's the code:

Code:
[quote][b]How to view images in DSTwo's Guide[/b]

2.Go to "File - Save As"
3. Save your file asÂÂ"[b]GameName.01.bmp[/b]"
[img]http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/9226/example1qk.png[/img]
(where "GameName" is the exact name of your .NDS file you are creating the guide for.)

[img]http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4808/example2mn.png[/img]

[b]Reminders:[/b]

-You can have any number of saved images and text files - there is no current limit. Just be sure to label your image files "GameName.[b]01[/b].bmp, GameName.[b]02[/b].bmp, GameName.[b]16[/b].bmp, etc., and your text files "GameName.[b]01[/b].txt, GameName.[b]02[/b].txt, GameName.[b]16[/b].txt

-You can have a mix of .txt files and .bmp files. I have 16 Text files and 16 image files for one game and they all work fine.[/quote]

That's the text. Just copy and paste it (without the code tags, of course
tongue.gif
)

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windaga said:
Not at all, be my guest.

And I use the Screen Capture button on my keyboard - it's a standard function on most keyboards. On most keyboards, it's labeled "PRTSC/SYSRQ"

If not, if you're using Windows 7, there's a program called "Snipping Tool" that does the same thing.

Here's the code:

Code:
[quote][b]How to view images in DSTwo's Guide[/b]

2.Go to "File - Save As"
3. Save your file asÂÂ"[b]GameName.01.bmp[/b]"
[img]http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/9226/example1qk.png[/img]

[img]http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4808/example2mn.png[/img]

[b]Reminders:[/b]

-You can have any number of saved images and text files - there is no current limit. Just be sure to label your image files "GameName.[b]01[/b].bmp, GameName.[b]02[/b].bmp, GameName.[b]16[/b].bmp, etc., and your text files "GameName.[b]01[/b].txt, GameName.[b]02[/b].txt, GameName.[b]16[/b].txt

-You can have a mix of .txt files and .bmp files. I have 16 Text files and 16 image files for one game and they all work fine.[/quote]

That's the text. Just copy and paste it (without the code tags, of course
tongue.gif
)
I just meant how you took a certain part of the screen, I guess you just cut that part out with photoshop or something. anyways, I don't need you to retype it because I can just quote you and get the code that way.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh don't worry, it was a copy paste job.

And I know - using the Snipping Tool does just that - it lights up your screen, and you resize the box to what you want to crop. After you hit enter, it automatically saves whatever is in the box into a file for you - that way, you don't have to use the printscreen button and then paste it into photoshop.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I put Windaga's work up, i'm coming home tomorrow, and I'll probably finish the pictures section tuesday or wednsday, but I might make gradual updates to it.

Edit: Just put up a little thing on Paint in Windows XP

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to do the section on Paint for Windows 7, I'm thinking about making it a video, sound like a good idea? or should I just do pictures again?

Also, as I don't have a computer with Windows Vista, would anyone want to do it?

Edit: As no one answered
dry.gif
, I'm going to make a video, however I need to wait for my new mic to do audio over it unless I want to do a VO, which requires timing
glare.gif
, so you guys r gonna have to wait.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://overclock3d.net/news/cases_cooling/cooler-master-had-multi-coloured-ai-cryofuze-5-thermal... +1